New campaign: Capturing Mar'Than

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bignall

Post by bignall »

I am using wesnoth 1.2.3 . Here are some save files that have the problem. I went back to the previous scenario and got through Down the Mountainside, but I still have the same problem with Dulat Valley.

Is there some way I can fix the save file so that I can keep going?

Thanks
Attachments
savefiles.zip
(101.9 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
sjl

Post by sjl »

The good news is that I got the bug to reproduce with your savegames.

The bad news is that I can't quite figure out why it's happening. I've looked at the devel. documentation, and the problem seems to be related to a bit of source code that generates either random combat results, genders or traits (lines 89-92 of random.cpp). Does anyone familiar with wesnoth code have any idea?

However, bigtail, it is also possible that this is related to bug #8698, which was fixed in 1.2.4, involving the inclusion of scenario code in savegames.
Do you think you could first try loading the attached savegame (which loads happily on my 1.2.4), then (if this doesn't work) upgrading and trying both this one and your own games? If not, don't worry.
Attachments
dtm.zip
Start of scenario savegame for Down the Mountainside without buggy WML (I hope).
(6.98 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
sjl

Post by sjl »

I've tried playing through to those scenarios, saving and loading them, and they work fine. Has anyone else come across this bug?

bignail, did you do anything unusual (or do something for the first time) in Down the Mountainside? :o
bignall

Post by bignall »

Thanks for looking into it sjl. I was able to load the save game you provided. As you suggested, I also tried upgrading to 1.2.4. Unfortunately, the problem still exists. The save games I had won't load. I went back to the scenario before I started having this problem and started from there, but when it gets to DTM, it won't load save files again. So moving to 1.2.4 did not solve the problem.

I'll keep going with your save file... too bad it doesn't have as many leveled units as I had.

Edit: Didn't see your post until I answered with mine. No, I didn't do anything unusual or for the first time. In fact it happens if you try to load the game before the first turn. If you look at the save files I sent you, I included one from before the first turn, one some time during the scenario. I can send you one from the previous scenario too if that would help.
sjl

Post by sjl »

Yes, please.

Basically, we need to find the difference between your savefiles and my savefiles, and that'll be where the problem lies. Thanks a lot for all your help, and I'm glad you're able to continue playing anyway.
bignall

Post by bignall »

Here's save files from Happy Landing all the way to the Volcano and the Exit. Mostly they are at the start of the scenario, but I also included one from Volcano and the Exit that is near the end of the scenario since it was after winning that one and starting on Down the Mountainside that this problem started happening (and I happened to have one that wasn't an autosave, so it didn't get deleted). Thanks so much for debugging this! Let me know if I can do anything to help.
sjl

Post by sjl »

What sort of unit got recalled automatically at the beginning of the Volcano scenario?

Was it Sar'kir (the 'free' dark adept you get at the end of the Tower of Cur'Magi) or someone else?

Also, those savefiles don't seem to have made it onto the forum. :?
bignall

Post by bignall »

No, it was someone else. A pikeman, I believe.

Oops... here's the save files.
Attachments
savefiles.zip
(82.19 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
sjl

Post by sjl »

FOUND THE BUG! :D :D :D

Something odd *was* happening with Sar'kir; I discovered this after deleting bits of WML from bignail's Down the Mountainside savegame. The solution: kill Sar'kir once he's done his job in the Tower of Cur'Magi.

Bignail: attached is your savegame, with Sar'kir deleted. It should work!

Everyone: Version 0.9.13 is now available with the bug fixed, and lots of new pictures for the start of scenarios.
Attachments
dtm.zip
bignail's Down the Mountainside, fixed (minus Sar'kir, which had been upgraded to a Lich)
(10.72 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
sjl

Moved to devel version

Post by sjl »

I have just completed moving Capturing Mar'Than to the development (1.3.x) version of wesnoth. It is available for download as version 0.9.15 from the development campaihn server. I also fixed the bug in 'Happy Landing' regarding Denring being ashore before his boat arrived.
bignall

Post by bignall »

Just got back from vacation. Congrats on finding and fixing the bug!
sjl

Post by sjl »

Good...

Version 1.0 of the stable campaign is on the stable campaign server.

Please note that 'The Tower of Cur'Magi,' the second non-story scenario does not work at present on the development version due to a bug in the development version of Battle for Wesnoth, which I am going to report asap. :evil:

The stable version works fine, as far as I know.
sjl

Post by sjl »

Some nice, friendly, wesnoth developer has fixed the bug that made Capturing Mar'Than crash on scenario 3. Until 1.3.3 comes out, if you want to play this campaign using the development version, you'll have to download the svn version of wesnoth.

To celebrate, I've made the download a few kilobytes smaller (by removing backup files), removed the underscore from the title, and replaced some deprecated WML (_K tiles). This is version 0.9.17 (devel).
bignall

Post by bignall »

BTW, thanks for the recognition in the description! BTW, my name is Rosina Bignall, if you'd prefer to use that.
sjl

Post by sjl »

I've uploaded devel version 0.9.18 - I recommend you get this if you're running the svn version of wesnoth (or once 1.3.3 comes out), as it contains a host of bugfixes, including a crash fix for the final scenario, and correct terrain events.

At vonHalenbach's suggestion, I've converted all the big images to jpegs, and this, together with some compression of WML, means that the download is 1.1M smaller.

I've also made the small gaps in cave walls that you have to get through slightly less painful in 'Cavern Entrance' and 'Trench Warfare', introduced a 'side quest' in 'Cavern Entrance', and a new moveto event in 'Trench Warfare'.
Writer of "Capturing Mar'Than" - see the thread at:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 750#282750