New campaign: Capturing Mar'Than

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JimW

Capturing Mar'Than

Post by JimW »

Managed to bull my way through to the last scenario.

On my second try, with a force made mostly of archers and spearmen, I pushed a fair way in, by which I was at -64 in gold, and still had only two villages.

I'm not a very good player, but I have a nasty feeling I should have had a whole bunch of pikemen and high-up bowmen before attempting this. I really don't want to go back to the previous scenario just to buld up a bunch more units.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to write this one off as "not for me."

The defender of Mar'than has an admirable location, and worse still there's only one little road out of Denring's recruitment area.

I had thought that the thieves must be 'necessary' for this one, but in fact, they have practically no utility here at all. The best one can do is send in combinations of archers and spearmen and bull through the enemy ranks.

Unfortunately, I have now come to the state where there is just some slim possibllity I can push past that first bottleneck, the space between the two chasms. On the other hand, I don't have any money to build troops to take advantage of this.

JimW
sjl

Post by sjl »

I love the way some people think that I planned all this stuff - I didn't.

However, I take your point that, when creating the last scenario, I went slightly OTT on difficulty. I will try to make it easier.

As a hint to the strugglers, capture the houses next to the main road.
JimW

Post by JimW »

sjl wrote:I love the way some people think that I planned all this stuff - I didn't.

However, I take your point that, when creating the last scenario, I went slightly OTT on difficulty. I will try to make it easier.

As a hint to the strugglers, capture the houses next to the main road.
Nice to be able to get within a stone's throw of the main road! :)

JimW
sjl

Post by sjl »

True...

maybe we need a back door. :evil: :arrow: :D
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

I have played 0.9.9.2 and i still get error output like this:
error config: [attack] uses special=-, which is now deprecated. Use the macros provided in abilities.cfg.

Please can you clean the units a bit up? Nice campaingn other than that.
sjl

Post by sjl »

Well, I could blam CampGen, but a bad workman blames his tools, so I'll see about correcting it.
bt

Post by bt »

I just finished the latest version (?) of the campaign on medium, and I thought it was pretty good. I figure I'd make a few comments:

-The shield was a neat idea. Also a great source of xp (don't know if it was intentional).
-There didn't seem to be a bonus for defeating the orc and troll leaders in the cave level. I think it ought to come with some sort of reward.
-Many of the levels give way too much time. It does mean getting lots of gold at the end, which is certainly useful later on. But I always like being under a little time pressure... the extra gold can be given by chests and stuff.
-Enjoyed fighting my way through a plethora of enemies on that one level that included desert elves!
-The final level was a doozy. I think I made it through only because Mar'Than, after attacking one of my units, then decided to post himself in his Elvish Champion's keep, which only has 3 slots. Since the elf was in one of the slots, Mar'Than ended up recruiting only 2 units per turn. Not sure what to do about this, if anything.
-In the final level, an Elvish Sorceress appears near the enemy keep (not sure what the trigger was.) Unfortunately, she was completely surrounded by enemies and died the next turn. I think it'd be nice if she triggered only when one of your units reaches an appropriate village.
-Storyline was very vague. I'm not too particular about storyline in general, but it definitely could use some more details.

Yeah, that's all I can come up with. It's a nice campaign, and I hope you'll keep working on it.
sjl

Post by sjl »

Thanks!

I'll work through your comments and see what I can do.
garak

Post by garak »

i have a problem with the second scenario the magical barier is not there and the game crash. unknown image or sth like that.i play on wesnoth 1.2.4 and with windows XP
sjl

Post by sjl »

It looks like they fixed a bug in the WML that I was accidentally exploiting. My problem is lack of time; however, give it few months, and I'll have plenty of time, and this campaign is on my TODO list. :wink:
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

sjl wrote:It looks like they fixed a bug in the WML that I was accidentally exploiting. My problem is lack of time; however, give it few months, and I'll have plenty of time, and this campaign is on my TODO list. :wink:
Can i help you to fix the little flaws and balance the campaign a bit? I have made some animated shields, just to see how it would look like. I will test some more and post the files into this forum if you want my help.

Greetings
sjl

Post by sjl »

von Halenbach has done a great job cleaning the units up (as he himself requested) and giving the shield a new image and animations for death and defense. Thanks a lot!

Version 0.9.10 can now be downloaded from the campaign server.
sjl

Post by sjl »

And here comes 0.9.11 with several of the fixes bt wanted included.
bignall

Post by bignall »

Just a couple of notes:

Scenario 2: The cuttle fish never recruits anything so, he's easy to defeat.

Scenario 3: The orc never recruits, so he's quickly killed off by the troll. When you defeat both leaders, the scenario does not end, which according to the objectives it should. Those long one tile wide tunnels make it extremely difficult to get out, especially with tons and tons of trolls to fight your way through to get out there. I'd really suggest reducing the 1 width tunnels. A choke point is fine, but give some room to manuever behind it, at least a 2 wide tunnel.

Edit:

Got a little further along, and suddenly the game started crashing when trying to load a save file from the scenario Down the Mountainside . I can load files from The Volcano and the Exit just fine, but not from Down the Mountainside. Here's the error:

wesnoth: random.cpp:91: int get_random(): Assertion `random_generator!=__null' failed.
w
sjl

Post by sjl »

The problems with the cuttlefish and the orc not recruiting are probably to do with me fiddling with the AI settings - they always used to work. I've also changed the cave layout a bit in 0.9.12.

However, I can't get the bug you mentioned to reproduce. It sounds like an incombatibility due to the map system upgrade in version 1.3.1. Which version of wesnoth are you using? At present, the campaign is only for version 1.2.x.