What you should know to make your campaign easy to translate

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vancho1

Re: What you should know to make your campaign easy to trans

Post by vancho1 »

At least all Slavic and Baltic languages, and Latin language.
I'm sorry if this is a little off-topic, but this statement is untrue. Bulgarian, unlike all other slavic languages, does not have case declension. Please, do not generalize. Now, I shall go back to reading these fora silently.
junoslord

Post by junoslord »

Wouldn't this be solved by just setting the character sex in the [unit] tag? If you have an event create a {GENERIC} you're creating translation problems, yes?

Could the macro be updated to add a m/f option, with a set default, on units that aren't one or the other?
America-- Land of the Free, home of the Brave! "And now that we've taken care of the Braves we're coming after the Free."

"BANNED!!! What the hell do you mean BANNED? All I did was call one narrow-minded, power-hungry Nazi moderator a narrow-minded, power-hungry Nazi!"
sergey

Post by sergey »

I know that the previous post was added in 2013. But I found this topic very useful and want to leave some comments, hope they will be helpful for someone else.
junoslord wrote: Wouldn't this be solved by just setting the character sex in the [unit] tag?
That will help only if you control the dialogues of that exact unit. If you have an event that triggers arbitrary unit to say "I found a key", and you don't know the gender of the unit beforehand, that will not help.
junoslord wrote: If you have an event create a {GENERIC} you're creating translation problems, yes?
As of Wesnoth version 1.13.6 the [message] command was extended with male_message and female_message keys, see https://wiki.wesnoth.org/InterfaceActio ... message.5D Suppose you created a unit with {GENERIC_UNIT}. When that unit says, you could use the male_message and female_message keys and appropriate message will be choosen depending on its gender. Moreover, those gender dependent messages are very handy when you don't know what exactly unit will say the text, like in my previous example.

junoslord wrote: Could the macro be updated to add a m/f option?
Changing the core macro will break a lot of things. You could use the next code to create generic unit with predefined gender (for side 1 at x=10, y=15 coordinates):

Code: Select all

{GENERIC_UNIT 1 "Mage" 10 15}
[+unit]
  gender=female
[/unit]
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: What you should know to make your campaign easy to translate

Post by octalot »

If a sentence feels better in English with a name included, but would still work without the name, what's the better option?

a) rewrite the English to avoid including a name

b) keep the name, but add a translation hint that it's not necessary:

Code: Select all

# po: both speaker and $other_healer are elvish shamans
# Referring to $other_healer by name isn't necessary, it feels better in English but feel free to leave it out in translation.
message= _ "Both Shaman $other_healer.name and I can heal other units. However, each unit can only receive healing from one healer — even if we’re both next to a unit then that unit will still only be healed 4 hitpoints per turn."
The context for this is #4418
oooo

Re: What you should know to make your campaign easy to translate

Post by oooo »

a) No
Why should we avoid to include variable? I have never annoyed variable expansions.

b) Yes, but...
IMO, the translators know what sentences are properly in their languages.
That is, you should tell translators your requests and recommends, but it's not a necessary comment "we have no requests."