orcish campaign, second map

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ave

orcish campaign, second map

Post by Ave »

1. the trolls don't seem to be doing anything, they just stand around.

2. these dwarven thunderers are just too tough. Two of them can kill any of my single units.

3. a typo: when moving northwest, my unit says something about 'back eye land', this should be 'black eye land'
Ave

third map

Post by Ave »

Well, umm. It is very much possible that those shamans die before i reach the fortress. Maybe if i could have full control over those rather passive allies, they would survive. The allies tend to run out of the fortress, letting the elves in.

Doh, time seems to be a major problem, i finished the previous map just in the last round, in this one i guess i needed 2 more. Ok, just tried once, but i have a feeling this campaign will be tougher than the other two.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

See also the comments in the earlier thread on the Orcish Campaign.

I found the trolls tended to be rather suicidal in their enthusiastic attacks on the dwarves, and Benj made them less aggressive - perhaps he overdid it, I've not replayed it since.

Yes, the thunderers do lots of damage, but they miss frequently.

I made a similar comment about the doctors, that you can lose in the first round or two before you get reinforcements there, to which Benj replied that in that case you can start again, having only lost a few minutes.

Yes, the campaign is difficult, specially compared with the loyalist one (depending on your playing style, luck, etc).
Ave

Post by Ave »

The point is, if these are so tough on easy level, why are there three difficulty levels?
It is ok, that you can restart, but the game isn't about trying again and again to hope for luck. It is somehow annoying that you have to reload repeatedly so you score the maximum possible damage. For example: killing that level 3 boss in map 3 in one round is possible only with scoring about 75% of the hits with your best 3 units. The hits get only 40%, so this involves a lot of reloads. I wouldn't complain if this is in the medium of hard difficulty level, but on easy, this is simply unbalanced.
benj

Post by benj »

Ave wrote:The point is, if these are so tough on easy level, why are there three difficulty levels?
It is ok, that you can restart, but the game isn't about trying again and again to hope for luck. It is somehow annoying that you have to reload repeatedly so you score the maximum possible damage. For example: killing that level 3 boss in map 3 in one round is possible only with scoring about 75% of the hits with your best 3 units. The hits get only 40%, so this involves a lot of reloads. I wouldn't complain if this is in the medium of hard difficulty level, but on easy, this is simply unbalanced.
Well, there are difficulty levels. I personnaly find easy level way too easy. :-)
Medium and hard levels are of course harder. Most people reported that this campaign is harder that Heir To the Throne, but I wanted to make a campaign that would require some skills, possibly for people who already played some scenarios of the first campaign already. I will perhaps make easy difficulty level easier, but I fear that scenarios will become less interesting.

Side note: on level 3, you are not supposed to kill the boss, just to escape. :P
Also, wesnoth is a game where you have to manage casualties, it is acceptable to loose your best unit if that proves to be useful for next scenarios.
Ave

Post by Ave »

Oops, i guess i skipped the message, so i assumed i have to kill the boss.

One more typo in toward mountains of haag: kapou'e says: Gru, instead of Gruu... missing an u (i can't type u with dots).