What's your favorite mainline campaign?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of the mainline campaigns do you prefer?

Tale of Two Brothers
2%
The South Guard
2%
Under the Burning Suns
39%
Heir to the Throne
31%
Eastern Invasion
4%
The Rise of Wesnoth
22%

Total votes: 54

Flametrooper

What's your favorite mainline campaign?

Post by Flametrooper »

Sorry if this has been asked before, but my search engine is broken. Also I owuld have put a poll, but that doesn't seem to work either. (my Create Poll dialog is nonexistent :?) So which of the mainline camapaigns do you prefer? I will be updating this post with voting results, as it's the next best thing to a poll.

A tale of two brothers: 0
The South Guard: 0
Under the Burning Suns: 0
Heir to the Throne: 0
Eastern Invasion: 0
The Rise of Wesnoth: 0

Son of the Black Eye: 0
The Dark Hordes: 0

(Those two are seoerate from the rest because they were mainline in one version but not in the most recent one.)

Added in a poll. Hope you don't mind. - turin
hey.
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

Of the ones I've actually beaten :roll: ...

I'd have to say Heir to the Throne, definately. I love the story and it is the most classic, time-tested of the whole bunch! :D
Last edited by Fynmiir on April 15th, 2006, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I'm going to assume that voting for my own is illegal. ;) So...

The South Guard.

BTW, I used my 1337 m0d3r470r 5ki115* to add a poll. Seemed like the thing to do.

*: My 13375p34k sucks. I'm proud of that fact.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Peidu

Post by Peidu »

Under the Burning Suns - I like the way it's made, and the differences between it and the other campaigns. Whoever made it, I love you.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Thanks for that, Turin. I wonder why my poll engine isn't working?
hey.
(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

Post by (S)elfish weirdo »

IMHO, Rise of Wesnoth is by far the best of the mainline campaign (and so far the best of all completed campaigns, thought RoTL is certainly looking promising), it has a nice cocktail of great gameplay, great Story and great dialouge.

Though I find Heir to The Throne has a fairly boring plot and worse dialouge, it is unrivalled when it comes to gameplay, and that gives it the place as second best campaign for me.

As much as I enjoyed the excellent storyline and dialouge in Under the Burning Suns, I found the gameplay relatively boring compared to the above campaigns (especially the cave maps, maps with more or less one terrain are always boring).

The South Guard has very good gameplay and story, as well as good dialouge... but it has one obvious flaw, when compared to the above, it is very short.

Eastern invasion has poor gameplay due to the extreme shortness of time, the story doesn't seem all that good, and the dialouge is horrible. It doesn't get near the greatness of any of the other mainline campaigns.

I have yet to play a tale of two brothers.
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.
Alks

Post by Alks »

UtBS - it's really a breakthrough for me. It's a standard for new campaigns or for the old to have some scenarios revisited.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

(S)elfish weirdo wrote:Eastern invasion has poor gameplay due to the extreme shortness of time, the story doesn't seem all that good, and the dialouge is horrible. It doesn't get near the greatness of any of the other mainline campaigns.
The shortness of time has been, IMHO, basically fixed in the current version. Care to look at the changes and tell me if you think it still needs changing?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I cast my vote for The Rise of Wesnoth, and i practically second most things said here. See italics for changes.
(S)elfish weirdo wrote:IMHO, Rise of Wesnoth is by far the best of the mainline campaign (and so far the best of all completed campaigns, thought RoTL is certainly looking promising), it has a nice cocktail of great gameplay, great Story and great dialouge.

Also, one word: Redheads.

Though I find Heir to The Throne has a fairly used-up plot and worse dialouge (Li'sar got in my nerves with her bashing, and Konrad with the cookie-cut bravery, the gansta ways of Delfador though, proved easier to endure as sorta-comical relief), it is unrivalled when it comes to gameplay, and that gives it the place as second best campaign for me.
Sadness is expressed for yet an uncomplete Undead campaign, or an Orcish one that i don't feel like quitting.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

(S)elfish weirdo wrote:As much as I enjoyed the excellent storyline and dialouge in Under the Burning Suns, I found the gameplay relatively boring compared to the above campaigns (especially the cave maps, maps with more or less one terrain are always boring).
I understand your comments. After the new cave terrain types were released I did go back and try to vary the caves a bit. Still underground terrain doesn't have as many options as aboveground.

Since I shouldn't vote for my own campaign, I voted for TRoW. The storyline and gameplay are interesting and more varied than HttT (which would be my second pick).
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I won't vote (yet) as I have only completed HttT and EI. I'm about five levels into TRoW.

HttT: I found it to have neat level design and gamplay, although some of the later scenarios could do with a bit of work. Dialog was just passable. Storyline was horrible (I place a lot of importance on story in games).

EI: My opinions are (exactly) the same as (S)elfish wierdo's.

TRoW: So far, this has proved the best in almost all aspects. Dialog and storyline are very nice. The gameplay and level design is pretty much on par with HttT. It could do with some better story art though, the current stuff is a little cartoony for my taste.

Looking forward to playing UtBS. It sounds good.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Personally, I like TroW the best. However I accidentally casta vote for HttT instead of TroW :oops: :oops: :oops: , HttT should have less vote and TroW one more. It owns because of playing as loyalists, there are three other mainline campaigns that do this: EI, TB(is that the right acronym?), and TSG, but they rank considerably low. Also, good storyline, varied characters, and a whole bunch of other good stuff.

Second HttT, because you can play with elves, whom I like, also mages, and horsemen, and mermen, and even crap like theives and dwarves, basically by the end of that campaign you can recruit everything but the kitchen sink.

Third, UtBS, because I haven't gotten very far in it yet, but as far as I HAVE gotten makes is seem okay, once I complete it I will probably give it a higher rating.

Fourth, The South Guard. It has good idea, okay story, the lack of recruitable variety in the first few scenarios is a bit of a letdown though. Also short, though not as short as that Two Brothers. And also in the second scenario the fact that I only have one unit that's any good against the undead, and that it's a White Mage which dies easily in meele and has to be protected.

Fifth, Eastern Invasion. This would have been last, due to low plot and that damn Evacuation, but it CAN be fun to bash lots of undeads once in a while. :P

Sixth, Two Brothers. It is obviously a beginner campaign and when I played it I was no longer a beginner, so it was easy except for some hard parts, and those hard parts were really annoying: like the first scenario where just about everything did pierce vs. undeads, I had to use much saveloading to stop from losing all my loyal units, and fighting elves ina big old forest is not much fun either. Plus it's incredibly short.
hey.
Nyxl

Post by Nyxl »

I haven't played "The South Guard" yet, but I've beaten all the others already. My vote went without hesitation to "Under the Burning Suns".

Three reasons :
  • The story : quite different from all the other campaigns. I had the definite feeling that the campaign was coded around the story, while all the others felt the other way around (the story written around the code).
  • The cast : the characters are consistant and made of epic material. They have personality, story, goals and desires. Their features are almost constantly highlighted in the different scenarios and they evolve throughout all the events occuring to them.
  • Surprises all the way : after four scenarios in the campaign, you should be in such a frame of mind that you're expecting a cataclysm at every corner of the map and start planning your advance carefully - and yet events rush you all the way, out of the frying pan into the fire... :wink:
I did not get bored in that campaign, as I came to be in quite a few scenarios of other campaigns ("Crossroads" and "Test of the Clans" in HttT, both sieges of the havens in TRoW, etc.). This, of course, is but my opinion, my feeling.

Heh, I had to watch "Conan the Barbarian" upon beating "Under the Burning Suns", that should tell how strong an impression it made on me !
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

First: Under the Burning suns, has a good storyline that introduces surprises and has varied gameplay (and I haven't even played the version with the new cave terrains).

Second (contraversally, compared to everyone else) Eastern Invasion, was the first campaign where I had three iron maulers that I managed to keep all the way through (they kicked undead ass), and has a few surprises and out of the ordinary scenarios. (and I managed to kill all of the leaders on Evacuation)

third: the rise of Wesnoth: although I never finished this (deleted that save after a SR binge) it was fun up to where I was (just after you find out that the Kilan are willing to throw you out/attack you, I can't remember which)

fourth: Heir to the Throne: Surprisingly low, but mainly because of the later levels, they had a tendancy to stop being any fun (and I missed out the fire sword :evil: )

Fifth: The South guard: I just never finished this, although up to where I was, it was good.

Sixth: Two Brothers: also never finished (or started really), Don't know why.
toms

Post by toms »

Ranger M wrote:fourth: Heir to the Throne: Surprisingly low, but mainly because of the later levels, they had a tendancy to stop being any fun (and I missed out the fire sword :evil: )

Fifth: The South guard: I just never finished this, although up to where I was, it was good.

Sixth: Two Brothers: also never finished (or started really), Don't know why.
I agree that the later HttT levels are less fun than the first few. (my favorite is Elensefar-who guesses!)

I don´t worth TSG and two brothers bad, but they are not my favorites. And because they are for beginners, they may not provide that much fun for good players.
But all in all, none of them are disliked by me, however. :)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!