Updated Story of the Wose

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: Updated Story of the Wose

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

I noticed that the Shaman Wose still uses the same graphics from the 1.2 version:
wose-shaman.png
wose-shaman.png (3.84 KiB) Viewed 4785 times
Maybe it's a good idea to switch to the new sprites from DM? Example:
wose-shaman.png
wose-shaman.png (7.64 KiB) Viewed 4785 times
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

The wood/green/life mage sprites use recolored versions of old mage sprites.

I tried to remake them from the current version of the mage/red mage/silver mage sprites :
old-new-mage-tree.png
old-new-mage-tree.png (10.44 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
The separates files are in the targz archive.

Adding {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} to the units files is required to activate the team color.
Attachments
mages.tar.gz
(8.44 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Nice. Someone who can draw well decided to care.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

I've finished to recolour the animation frames of the female mage : animation frames for the wood mage are available in the attachement.
EDIT : The green mage animation frames are also done.
EDIT 2 : The life mage animation frames are also done. All animations are done.
Attachments
life-mage.tar.gz
(17.07 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
green-mage.tar.gz
(18.33 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
wood-mage.tar.gz
(15.29 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Feufochmar's new images have been *committed* to source control.

I haven't done the animation WML but I'll get to that soon enough.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I have release 0.7.3 with the new green mage line images by Feufochmar and the French translation by Nogya.
Clearpotion

Post by Clearpotion »

Hello,
I made the Japanese translation of this campaign. What should I do ?
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

If you can get into wescamp svn I can pull it.

Contact someone on irc (irc.freenode.net) #wesnoth-umc-dev for help.

However, Espreon says:
Also, you should tell the translators to send their translations to torangan.
Clearpotion

Post by Clearpotion »

Thank you. I sent it to Torangan.
I should have taken a good look at http://wiki.wesnoth.org/WesCamp
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

I played through your campaign and I haven't read the whole thread so this may be extremely irrelevent but the "Story of the Wose" that is supposed to tell the story of the wose and un-cover the mytery behind their existence seems very short and un-fulfilling. Said statement maybe incorrect due to the intentions behind your creation of this campaign and although, yes i must admit i dislike long dialouge and skipped through most of it, The story seemed to involve a lot more around the main "wood mage" character.

Collecting a random scroll from a begger (by chance) and then to come across a wose that tells you what to do with the scroll that you just obtained by chance (asuming that the wose must know that you got the scroll and exactly what it does OR he planned for you to get it for some unknown reason) to then summon woses and awake the trees. In this first part i find many flaws. Firstly, all the chance stuff i already talked about seems very illogical. Secondly, The fact that the scroll was made to raise the dead has no corellation with raising trees to life considering trees are allready living so using a spell that causes one to go from "dead" to "living" makes no sense what so ever. Thirdly, the fact that in the description of woses it clearly states that woses aren't related to trees at all although they are similar in apperence but are actually closer to the fairy family. This means that making trees into woses doesn't make any sense because woses aren't trees...they're woses. And fourthly, There is already a wose there which tells her what to do with the scroll which tells us that the woses already existed before she used the scroll and if you were trying to tell about the coming into existence of the wose then you have failed at that.

In the next part of it you have shown that there is a portal that is opened up for an unknown reason and the portal seems to play an important role but is ill explained. You have brought this portal into the story with little explaination as to why and then they go to "check what's going on" only to be forced out of the catacombs in a different direction from which they came. They run into the catacombs to "find out what's going on" which assumes they've been down there before but when they are forced out the other side it seems like they have never been there before and it's a new place. The long dialouge at the end i skipped cause i was too lazy to read it. =P

Now like I said I don't know your intentions behind this story but "The Story of the Wose" sounds pretty important to me and next time you try to tackle something that seems like it could determine the history of an entire race, you should probably read up the history books and see where to start from.
Everything is edible, some things just aren't good for you.

Current Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30104
Seddyrocky

Post by Seddyrocky »

As the previous poster stated, the storyline/dialog of the campaign was pretty confusing and random. Still, it was fairly entertaining.

But even though I've now finished it (in less than 1 hour, this was one of the easiest campaigns ever) the golden laurel wreath around the wose pic in the campaign menu has not appeared. Probably a little bug.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Thirdly, the fact that in the description of woses it clearly states that woses aren't related to trees at all although they are similar in apperence but are actually closer to the fairy family.
To which I can say, "The elves weren't there. They wouldn't know." You see, I actually take issue with that bit in the wose description. Also, my campaign is far older than that description of the wose race.

Anyway, this campaign was designed around 1.0 as part of the backstory for another campaign that fell through. And yes, it basically concerned the wood magi (you got one in the other campaign as a storyline critical unit).
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

I dunno that seems like a pretty stupid excuse to back yourself up considering the game clearly states that the woses are fairies more or less. I don't think that it's wise to argue with the facts that you already have just so you can make things how you want. :? And the elves could know very well the woses background, the woses could have told them, they might not have told them the entire truth but they still have the knowledge to tell them whatever. :? Dunno how much of what I said made sense but take what you want. I just think that you should take a deeper look into your campaign and maybe edit it to fit with what you'd already been given rather that making crap up. :|
Everything is edible, some things just aren't good for you.

Current Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30104
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Phyreprooph wrote:I just think that you should take a deeper look into your campaign and maybe edit it to fit with what you'd already been given rather that making crap up.
joshudson wrote:Also, my campaign is far older than that description of the wose race.
I'm not familiar with this campaign, but I know it has been around for a while, and I can have some sympathy for joshudson not having a time machine and knowing what fluff someone was going to write some day. It's not the only campaign to have that happen; Flight to Freedom doesn't fit well with where the drake faction is these days, but at the time the campaign was written, who knew?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I added a warning indicator for where not to stand while the cave collapses, kind of as suggested by xudojnik.

It is *committed* to trunk so you'll see it in the next release.