Updated Story of the Wose

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rrenaud

Post by rrenaud »

It seems to me that the beggar campaign should be 100% gold retained, since there is no actual battle.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

rrenaud wrote:It seems to me that the beggar campaign should be 100% gold retained, since there is no actual battle.
Quite right.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
rrenaud

Post by rrenaud »

If Londerleona dies by becoming consumed in the tunnel, the scenario doesn't end in a defeat, as it should. It might just be because I am running svn though.
rrenaud

Post by rrenaud »

Also, the tunnel can probably use a turn limit or something. I reached turn ~135 in a stalemate against the trolls as I had 2 life mages and an ancient wose stuffed in the northern corridor. The trolls wouldn't stop coming. I guess as I got the troll population low, their upkeep went down, and so many trolls would rush in a few turns later.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Wow! That's a bad stalemate. You weren't trying to fight them through a one hex aperature, were you? BTW, What version of the campaign do you have?
rrenaud

Post by rrenaud »

I was stuck in the one hex aperture when I was stalemated.

The last version in the changelog is 0.1.

It seems to me that generally the fencers were pretty useless. I couldn't manage to level any of them up.

I think there should be some way to pick the units you use in the tunnel, having the level 2 wose mage with only 1 move per turn in the cave is pretty annoying.

Anyway, thanks for an enjoyable campaign.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I thought I squashed the bug about Londerlona being squashed not causing a loss in 0.1, but apparently not.

You will find the last mission easier if you manage to level some fencers somehow. It also helps to select a quick mage for levelling. There's no point trying to fight the trolls through the one hex aperature due to the number of villages on the map. Fight them in a wider place until their numbers thin down.
rrenaud

Post by rrenaud »

When I was fighting in the one hex aperature, I had only 3 units, so I probably would have died if any two of my units could be attacked.

I beat the campaign now. I don't think I had strong enough units in my first attempt at the tunnel, so I replayed the previous mission.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Updated for Wesnoth 1.2.
I tested it against 1.1.11, should be ready.
The smarter recruiting by the AI now made The High Plain very hard, so I had to rebalance the thing.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

It seems that quite a few people are endeavoring to play this campaign without recruiting any fencers or poachers. Considering that the wood mage line has an astonishing lack of hitpoints, I cannot imagine the frame of mind that would suggest this endeavor.
Sharur

Post by Sharur »

I'm consistently getting a crash-to-desktop playing this campaign (first scenario, turn 11) using the latest version (downloaded today) on Wesnoth 1.1.11.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

It would help if you posted a savefile for turn 10 or 11.
However, if it is crashing to desktop, the bug is probably not in the scenario.
I'll take a look at it anyway.
Sharur

Post by Sharur »

I did a little extra testing, and it appears to be in some way tied to what I do during my turn. If I just end my turn without doing anything, I don't get the crash, but if I play the turn out normally, then I get the CTD after the AI takes its turn. I can't remember getting any other CTDs while playing Wesnoth, so I'd be surprised if it isn't somehow tied to the scenario/campaign, but I can't really be sure.
Attachments
The_Oldwood-Auto-Save10.zip
(12.1 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

In which case, the correct save is to create one at the end of your turn.
Sharur

Post by Sharur »

I'd intended for that save to allow you to poke around with the different possibilities as I'd been doing (me doing it doesn't accomplish a whole lot, since I've got no idea how to troubleshoot the thing), but I can get that for you too.