Selfmade map is not working

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Hi Po00ch,

The map you supply works fine for me (using the latest CVS). Would you be able to supply the scenario file you're using? (Probably best using the map_data) feature.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Po0Och

Post by Po0Och »

As it turns out, my friend changed the refference for the map file in the scenario between versions of his map and left me unawares... the scenario works now with the external map, but that still doesn't explain why the scenario won't work with the map data included.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Po0Och wrote:that still doesn't explain why the scenario won't work with the map data included.
Any attribute value that spans multiple lines must be enclosed in quotation marks (i.e. "...").

Also, the map data contained two weird binary characters which I had to remove before it became usable. (I guess I could make the map parsing code ignore non-printable characters).

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Po0Och

Post by Po0Och »

Ahhah, I got it!

I was a little confused when you mentioned enclosing the data with quotation marks, because I remember doing just that. Then when you mentioned the two weird binary characters, I figured it out. I use M$ Word to open my scenario files, and the character it uses for quotation marks isn't the same as the one wesnoth requires. Bizzare little issue... anyways, I replaced the word quotation characters with some from notepad, and the map data works fine. Thanks a bunch, Dave!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Po0Och wrote:I use M$ Word to open my scenario files
I would caution anyone against doing this with any kind of text files. ;)

Windows doesn't use the standard extended ASCII character set -- it uses a 'special' version which has special characters for quotation marks -- so it can have "opening quotes" and "closing quotes" look pretty.

If you've ever viewed a web page on a non-Microsoft system, and seen all apostrophes come up as question marks, this is the reason -- the web page was written with a Microsoft authoring tool which uses this non-standard character set.

David