SP Campaign - Mercenary Band (for 1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

scio-nullus

SP Campaign - Mercenary Band (for 1.14)

Post by scio-nullus » May 27th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Mercenary Band, a single-player campaign for 1.14.
Dependencies: War of Legends
Authours: I wrote everything and drew all maps. The Aragwaith faction is from Lord_Knightmare's War of Legends.

In a time of strife before the fall, a new group of humans entered the Great Continent. The Aragwaith travel in mercenary bands, selling their services to help resolve disputes. This is the story of one band, and how they founded the Aragwaith kingdom on the Great Continent.
Hero Description
Spoiler:
Scenario Description
Spoiler:
V 0.0.4 - You have less turns for some scenarios, as otherwise I had ridiculous amounts of gold even on Hard mode, making the Resist until End of Turns scenario very boring.
Last edited by scio-nullus on May 29th, 2019, 3:52 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"I know nothing" - Manuel, Fawlty Towers
I am the author of Mercenary Band, an Aragwaith Campaign for 1.14

Lord-Knightmare
Forum Regular
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: SP Campaign - Mercenary Band (for 1.14)

Post by Lord-Knightmare » May 27th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Hi!
Thank you for using War of Legends as a dependency! :D
So, I downloaded it and I am playing it.
I got pass the first scenario on normal with 2 losses and the only problem was the defeat condition for the death of the Strongbow hero did not trigger. I didn't pay attention to his name, so might have mistook him for the elven hero.
RNG is still a [censored] for the faction, i must say. That warlord one-shotted my Pikemen. The Naga were really, really annoying: village grabbing and cutting me off from reinforcing my main attack squad.

Mods used: XP bank

I will play the rest tomorrow and give more feedback. Till then, I am glad that someone finally made an Aragwaith campaign again! It's been so long...

scio-nullus

Post by scio-nullus » May 27th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Thank you for playing my campaign!

The main thing I found in general is that you can't go wrong with swordsman spam (Spearman if you have more gold). In scenario 3 I recruited about 30 :-) and made 4 or 5 guards. Guards are useful for the 'Resist until end of turns' scenario, the protection ability means I used them at the bridges.
Appears I forgot [endlevel] for everyone but Madreddoc the leader.

Should I make the shaman hero's village more prominent? (Did you find her? She lives in the village on the island half way to the naga island. If not you'll be hard pressed in S4 which has very annoying undead. Also dialogue might not work.)

Lord-Knightmare
Forum Regular
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare » May 27th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Should I make the shaman hero's village more prominent? (Did you find her? She lives in the village on the island half way to the naga island.
I did, but not intentionally. Was planning to use that village as a defence point and moved a Pikeman there. Got the shaman and levelled her into a Druid, as the Aragwaith healer/mage unit isn't really that sturdy.
The main thing I found in general is that you can't go wrong with swordsman spam (Spearman if you have more gold). In scenario 3 I recruited about 30 :-) and made 4 or 5 guards.
My first try in scenario 3 ended in frustration. Have to try again tomorrow. Those Orc warriors one-shotted whatever spearmen/swordsmen on the field and even depleted my lvl 3 guardian. :(
If not you'll be hard pressed in S4 which has very annoying undead.
Spoiler:

scio-nullus

Post by scio-nullus » May 28th, 2019, 5:47 am

That is the point of the Shaman's village. I was wondering if I should make her more obvious and eventually decided that no, any reasonable Wesnoth player would capture that village. I mean, who wouldn't?

Do you think I should make it obvious that I put an Impassable Overlay around the shaman and therefore the Naga cannot get her while she is in the water? Otherwise you would presumably believe that she is very vulnerable as she has 0% defense and you might end up compromising your defensive position. Then again, you can just use [Ctrl] + [V] to work out she is unreachable unless the unit on the village is killed.

The way I dealt with the orc warriors was the Flagbearer leader + Archers, then retreating them in favour of swordsmen. I also find that Guards and Shield Guards are about the most useful unit in this campaign, they have good defense against undead and charging units.
Spoiler:
I found that the best way to complete a scenario early (in later scenarios) was to use the Sylph + Sorceress combination. The Sylph captures a village near the keep, the enemy leader comes out and attacks, and then the Sorceress teleports in and they finish them off.

I don't know whether the decision to level her into a druid was good, there are some annoying undead scenarios and also a Resist until End of Turns scenario. So you're swapping only having fragile healers for only having fragile anti-Undead magicians.

Konrad2

Post by Konrad2 » June 12th, 2019, 9:30 pm

S1
There is a '.' missing when the Naga talks/whispers/thinks about keeping gold in reserve (at the scenario start).
There is no 'Turns run out' or 'strongbow hero dies' defeat condition in the scenario objectives.

EDIT:
S2
Why would the player want to hold that runied keep?