[Tunnel Rats] : a SP campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

chol

[Tunnel Rats] : a SP campaign

Post by chol »

This is the feedback forum-page for the Tunnel Rats singleplayer (SP) campaign (in 3 parts).

You have played the campaign and have any comments regarding it? Please post about it here.

The development has reached alpha status so far. I finished the tutorium/introduction for novice players and began the 2nd part.

Please help report any bugs and difficulties etc.

Thank you and kind regards! ~Treehugger
Last edited by chol on October 15th, 2018, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
CannonFodder

Re: [Tunnel Rats] : a SP campaign (in 3 parts)

Post by CannonFodder »

Hi!

I can not even start it as of today. Wesnoth 1.14.0, I fetched the add-on a couple of minutes ago (1.8.5alpha). The error I am receiving is that "unit type not found: Hashishine". Of course I have the corresponding faction installed (Sharifs 1.8.5e in which the Hashishi should be found, and Halfelven 1.8.5e). I don't understand why it looks for Hashishine, at least the unit name in Sharifs is "Hashishi", but I am not good enough with even reading the WML to figure out how and why exactly it fails.
gwen42

Post by gwen42 »

I have the same problem as CannonFodder. The moment I attempt to start either part of this campaign, this happens:
Error loading custom game configuration files. The game will try without loading add-ons.
Details: unit type not found: Hashishine
It doesn't even try to load.
chol

Post by chol »

Sorry- initially it worked, but I did rework the naming standards of the dependencies (aka "corresponding faction") , so it went into non-loading.
I will fix it now.
Karllich

Post by Karllich »

Hi, same error as everyone else here. I would like to ask if are you going to update the fixed version of campaign. Are you planning to release it with the next update you are working on or is the problem actually hardly fixable? (I am asking because on the add-on server has only the broken version from may)
chol

Post by chol »

Karllich wrote: September 25th, 2018, 3:07 pm Hi, (..) the add-on server has only the broken version from may)
O.k. thank you for informing me about this flaw of the <alpha> version! I have put in some effort to fix this and the new <beta> version (1.8.9x) from September 2018 on the Wesnoth 1.14.5 server is fully working now.

I also overworked the scenarios and put some new units in, adapted the story a bit and fine tuned everything.
May be unbalanced at some edge or another but should work now! Happy virtual fighting and a good experience - stay tuned : )

Tunnel Rats : Intro (released on Wesnoth server 1.14.5)

Description: This single player campaign (SP) has a difficulty level from beginner to intermediate with 9 intro scenarios (3 lore/talk only) so far.
In this part I of the Epyllion ("Tunnel Rats"), you can choose between a male and a female main character.

Place of Action:
South of the huge Black River, a secluded eden region lies in peace.
And inside of it a realm, that is known by the ancient name of Sayon.
The daughters and sons of the land are known as Halfelven.

Background: Halfelven are the children of those who are not complected with faerie magic.
In prehistory, elfs became entangled in an arcane way with the faerie plane.
Halfelven rejected the arcane gift of a prolonged life that all elfs possess by virtue of faerie magic, probably because it comes at the expense of lofty temperament, moral hubris and intellectual decay.

Plot: A dune people came from the far east, on horseback, in clans.
Dunefolk Sharifs came as conquerors to reave for gold, technology and slaves.
They came to knock their understanding of Peace into others, by the sword.
In 123 YW, when it became darker than dark and elvish nations called all forces to fight off
the landings of necromancy and the walking dead on the shores of Wesnoth,
a rapacious dune clan came over them with fiery zeal.
When dwarfs fought against mercyless orcish intruders in their homeland,
a wreckful dune clan came from the east with flame throwers.

Orc raids pressing hard at the borders, an unexpected foe from the desert arises
and rumors of the Walking Dead spread in awful fright.
It is said that when one sees national defense-golems, times are tough!
Facing the destruction of your home, you volunteer to seek and destroy missions
to safe your loved ones from a sneaking up threat.

Note: beta release
Last edited by chol on October 21st, 2018, 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gwen42

Post by gwen42 »

With the new version, I was able to play through the whole campaign (so thank you for that). I like the artwork and the units that are available. There are a few things that could be a bit different, and I'll stay with the gameplay details for now. I realize the main character starts off as a student and wouldn't have a lot of money, but it seems like there's almost no gold to start with in any scenario. Also, the keeps available in the first couple of scenarios only allow for one recruit at a time, which makes it tricky to win on time. I also noticed that the female units remain available throughout the campaign, but you cannot recruit males after the first battle. I played as a shieldmaiden, so I'm not sure if that was a feature caused by my choice or what.
If you need to know, I played on the easy level, with Wesnoth version 1.14.5, on Mac OSX 10.14.
All in all, this campaign does have a lot of potential, and I do look forward to seeing where it goes from here!
chol

Re: [Tunnel Rats] : a SP campaign

Post by chol »

O.k., thank you for your constructive critique!
The main character is supposed to be a student throughout this tutorial campaign of 6 battle scenarios. Towards the end, the main character (shieldmaiden or watchman) should be able to advance to level 1 (or maybe even to level 2).
This should result in the situation of a character of level 1 starting in part II (to come).
The gold not being kept, this is inbtentional. The student gets education and has no job in the beginning. In later scenarios ("Secrets") the main character becomes a job as security chief and is able to earn money.
As for the difficulty, me and 1 playtester were able to finish all the 6 battle scenarios in 1/2 or 2/3 of the turns given, even in hard mode.
The citadels with only one keep tile (for the recuiting main character) and one castle tile for recruitment is also intentional. If I had to expand to 2 or more, the number of turns had to be downgraded accordingly and maybe would not fit the scenario maps.

Walkthrough (short): This is a tutorial. Aim is to not level up your main character, but rather to stay near the keep and cast your recruits against the enemy (maybe it is good to hold them near the keep initially and start when you have a small number). In the early scenarios, it would be advised to wait, see, and capture villages to get money and start into fights if you have enough. Some recruits you can level up, this will help in later scenarios.
The last scenario "Diplomacy" is a bit tricky, for it features two alternative paths: <necromancy> or <desert raiders / goblins orcs>. The keep of the necromancer is towards the north-west, the keeps of the orcs/raiders is towards the north-east. Try not to scout the map, stay focussed on the objective(s).
chol

Post by chol »

gwen42 wrote: October 6th, 2018, 8:17 pm (..) There are a few things that could be a bit different
(..) it seems like there's almost no gold to start with in any scenario.
Also, the keeps available in the first couple of scenarios only allow for one recruit at a time, which makes it tricky to win on time.
I also noticed that the female units remain available throughout the campaign, but you cannot recruit males after the first battle.
(..)
Hello, I uploaded a revised version and looked into your complaints. I find them reasonable and changed stuff accordingly:
* keeps with 2 recruits at a time (turn) are now available
* fixed the female only recruit pattern; both male and female students are avaliable for recruitment, now
* gold is there in each scenario, but no gold carry over is still 0 --> take care of your income situation and try to capture villages! : )
chol

Post by chol »

gwen42 wrote: October 6th, 2018, 8:17 pm (..) All in all, this campaign does have a lot of potential, and I do look forward to seeing where it goes from here!
Thank you! :) I have uploaded the 1st scenario of the next part Tunnel Rats : Dark Frontiers

Tunnel Rats : Dark Frontiers (released on Wesnoth server 1.14.5)

Description: Leaving your destroyed home valley, you team up with agent Lilit of the mysterious darkelven culture. Can you protect your people and stop the invasion of raiders and solve the clue of the walking dead?
Note: In the beginning, players can choose between a female and a male main character.

Tunnel Rats: Dark Frontiers is about guardian heroines and heroes who must perform seek and destroy missions in hostile ground to defend their peoples against a sneaking up threat from the dark and dank below.
Note: The Beginner difficulty level is aimed at first-time players. (Novice level, 4 scenarios (3 talk only), 12 planned)

Place of Action:
South of the huge Black River, amongst the realm of the Halfelven.

Plot: It seems that the beautiful border regions of your country reside under dark clouds of violence and war.
Constant raids of orcs and dunefolks over months leave insecurity and harm. The hole nation has transformed into military defense mode, your friends and relatives, as well as you yourself, are on defense duty, scattered over various war zones across the country.

Recently, you had to witness the total burning of your home and the murdering of your family, while you tried hard to fend off the raiders from the eastern desert regions. During these events you were inducted into the National Defense Forces as an officer candidate in the rank of Ensign.

After you buried a lot of friends and relatives in your home valley, you were ordered to switch stationing (as played out in 'Tunnel Rats: Intro'). At your new post, you became the city chief of police and security, in the walled border city of Shan at the central northern theatre of border defense operations.

You earned that position by securing the city from all sorts of threats and war criminals:
* you cleared out a tunnel system under your city from a terror bombing threat, carried out by a dunefolk clan
* you defeated goblin raiders at a nearby old mine who tried to establish themselves in the stronghold ruins near the city
* you fought a female necromancer in the uncercroft of the city whose spectre then disappeared

Ah, but let us not forget to tell about some delicate but none the less crucial detail:
in your last operation, you liberated agent Lady Lilit of the Blackwood from a cage in the camp of dunefolk slavers: this could be the start of an interesting friendship! Agent Lilit belongs to the mysterious darkelven, also know as the Lilin culture.

Note: beta release
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Tried to download from addons server (1.14), but there's a missing dependency (Desert Map-Pack)
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
silverstein

Post by silverstein »

It runs nonetheless.
The dependency (Desert-Map-Pack) is not a prerequisite for the campaign .. just click ok
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

A lot of files are duplicated between part00 and part01, you should be able to save 39 megabytes by merging the resources. Of that, 24 megabytes is the duplicated music directory.

I don't know if this is the add-on that https://r.wesnoth.org/t49774 is about, but because of that thread I'm looking at add-ons that are close to the server's 100MB limit.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

In the attached, I'm supposed to be able to right click on my hero and bring up a new menu. I'm not seeing it.

New replay thread for Tunnel Rats created on the UMC Replay Forum

Dependencies halfelven and sharifs aren't listed on the http addons server
should units be allowed to have the same name? (see recall list in attached for examples)
Engineer: attack range UNTLB range_kamakazie
Herman: recrut > recruit
a hole turn > a whole turn

vanguard: begining > beginning
hole moring > whole morning
good advised > well advised
by the end of after next turn > by the end of the turn after next
alertetd > alert
objectives are incorrect

golems: tshriping > chirping?
pitty > pity
arround > around

secrets: emediately > immediately
golblins > goblins

tunnels: is believed > believes

diplomacy: uncercroft > undercroft
allone > alone
weired > weird
prepaired > prepared
Beyon > Beyond
libneration > liberation

diplomacy (again?): weired > weird
ecellencies > excellencies
heared about > heard about
Houling > Howling
Attachments
TUNRA00-Diplomacy-Auto-Save13.gz
(62.32 KiB) Downloaded 495 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Tunnel Rats: Tutorial
Phoenixes
good by -> goodbye

The unit 'Recrut' should be called 'Recruit'.
Recrut -> Recruit
has proven abilities -> has proven his ability

The unit Halfelven Elevee (and its advancements) have attacknames that are capitalized, despite attacknames using conventionally only lowercase letters.

heared -> heard

Vanguards
pretty for a start -> pretty good for a start
tchirping -> chirping
Abdel Yada, who is proclaimed by the scenario objectives as the leader of the reavers, is actually the leader of the slavers. So I'm really not sure who I am supposed to defeat. Apparently I have to defeat both?

archaetype grants (so the description says) at least 60% hitchance.But it's actually 66%.

Tunnels
is believed -> believes
realy -> really
dissapear -> disappear

Is that first enemy rat really supposed to be called 'TUNRA00_rat_poison'?

The serfs have a 0% chance to dodge attacks, is that intended?

sneek -> sneak
mother-rat -> Mother Rat

Diplomacy
Off cause -> Of course
Of cause -> Of course
Beyon -> Beyond
libneration -> liberation

There is actually no way for me to build a golem.

kabbalah
hole turn -> whole turn

Tunnel Rats: Dark Frontiers
Diplomacy (Maybe a different name would be good?)
hole nation -> whole nation
weired -> weird

It would be quite good my recall list and xp from the tutorial carried over to this campaign. Building up an army from lvl 0 is hard and losing all of that progress is a huge moodkiller.

Lilit has a bronze ring (loyal marker) instead of a silver crown.

Why did my leader 'lose' the ability 'kabbalah'?

Golem [small] has 'special notes' for lifesteal and regeneration, but he doesn't have those abilities.

houling -> howling