Questions about a Drake campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MathBrush

Questions about a Drake campaign

Post by MathBrush »

I made the Dunefolk campaign Sand in The Wind over a week of work to test out those characters.

I made it quickly, and I think it shows. I will continue to maintain it over time.

I wanted to make exactly one more campaign and then not any more: I want a campaign where you play with the standard Drake faction (so including Saurians but not including custom units).

I’ve already spent some time on it. My idea is that it shows the origin of drakes as juvenile Fire Dragons that never really grow up.

My idea for the first scenario was having a group of Saurians protected by a fire dragon with a nest of eggs. The dragon dies on the very first turn, and the Saurians have to face goblins alone before raising the dragons eggs in future scenarios.

But I was wondering, would it be more fun to have a prologue level where you play as the fire dragon itself? It would be a cave level in a volcano. You would play as a poisoned dragon with no villages (to make it more challenging and give urgency) against a group of elf and human dragon hunters. You would recruit bats and giant rats and use your lvl 4 leadership with them against the bad defense of the elves and humans. The recall list would not carry over at all.

Would this be fun, or dull/stressful? Later scenarios involve you being hired and outfitted by the Dunefolk to kill supernatural beings like undead and mages. Loyalists don’t exist in this part of the world at this time, beyond mages.

The other level idea I wanted feedback on was sort of the ultimate ‘mage killing’ scenario. You would come to a sort of prison for liches set underground or in a mountains range with impassable chasms between little islands, each with a loch or ancient Lich. You would need to fly your Drakes onto the islands, attack, then fly back to heal before striking again.

Anyway, I wanted to get feedback on these two level ideas before I made them (he fire dragon level and the Lich prison level), because they are so unusual. There wouldn’t be any more cave levels, just outdoor ones with plenty of nice flat terrain.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
SFault

Re: Questions about a Drake campaign

Post by SFault »

Couldn't you come up with lvl 0 saurians? Bats and rats seem bit off. Or maybe some fire elemental types of level 0?

It's hard to say if it's dull or stressful without actually playing the scenario. If I need to move the poisoned unit back and forward to front line and villages then it might be annoying. In general, if it's different then it is probably interesting. One issue is that you need the dragon in keep to recruit and at front line to use leadership. Also, note that dragon moves slowly in cave.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
MathBrush

Re: Questions about a Drake campaign

Post by MathBrush »

Thanks, SFault! I'll make up a draft and see if it's any fun. I really appreciate your feedback.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die