Blessed Altar Mod (BAM)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Dinosaur

Re: Blessed Altar Mod (BAM)

Post by Dinosaur » January 11th, 2018, 2:36 am

ForestDragon......Thanks for the help... :D

This is not my day.... I just spent 2 hours working on a response to your posts... and Power Outage... Lost everything.... so here's the short of it.

First I don't think I will need a Preload either... I can't do anything anyway until the Player decides to boost or not in turn 1. So 'unit placed' boosting at that time is not really possible for scenario 1. I think I have come up with a much simpler solution. Since an action is required to trigger events capable of boosting. I am going to write an attack event so that if boosting is on and the a unit being attacked or attacking has not been boosted then I'll boost it... It will be like the units wakeup call.

I know the menus are a lot. especially at first.... Lots of functions and discovery ... and there is a learning curve involved in just knowing what the thing can do and how to use it. The Help Documentation explains much but who reads these days .. Both you and The_GNAT suggested UNIFORMITY so when I get a chance I'll try to dull it down. I might mention that 'double clicking' on options is the best way to get around. (Ironically, I spent hours with wording and colors to avoid uniformity) :lol:

ForestDragon
Forum Regular

Post by ForestDragon » January 11th, 2018, 8:27 am

Dinosaur wrote:ForestDragon......Thanks for the help... :D
you're welcome! :)
Dinosaur wrote:First I don't think I will need a Preload either... I can't do anything anyway until the Player decides to boost or not in turn 1. So 'unit placed' boosting at that time is not really possible for scenario 1. I think I have come up with a much simpler solution. Since an action is required to trigger events capable of boosting. I am going to write an attack event so that if boosting is on and the a unit being attacked or attacking has not been boosted then I'll boost it... It will be like the units wakeup call.
if what you are saying is the case, then how about just boosting units right when a boost is selected in the menu?
Dinosaur wrote:I know the menus are a lot. especially at first.... Lots of functions and discovery ... and there is a learning curve involved in just knowing what the thing can do and how to use it. The Help Documentation explains much but who reads these days .. Both you and The_GNAT suggested UNIFORMITY so when I get a chance I'll try to dull it down. I might mention that 'double clicking' on options is the best way to get around. (Ironically, I spent hours with wording and colors to avoid uniformity) :lol:
ok. btw, idea: you can put options like the following into [modification] (the "id="s in [checkbox] are variables a yes/no value depending on what a player sets them to). like this the example below, you can use them if players are new to the mod and want a slightly simplified version, or want some configuration, etc.

Code: Select all

[options]
        [checkbox]
            id=disable_LOTI_item
            default=no
            name="disable LOTI items"
            description="insert description"
        [/checkbox]
    [/options]
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Creator of Tale of Alan (1.12 abandoned) and The Golden Age (1.12/1.13, temporarily abandoned again),XP Bank (now on 1.14),Alliances Mod(1.12, very buggy)
"Real life is like a hyper-realistic VR game, but with permadeath and boring gameplay"

Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur » January 11th, 2018, 8:01 pm

ForestDragon
Still struggling along, I've been testing attack events. I have some working ability related attack events included from original LOTI code that I am trying to emulate. no success yet but I'm still hopeful.
if what you are saying is the case, then how about just boosting units right when a boost is selected in the menu?
I have no Idea how to do that.... In fact in a way that's exactly what I am trying to do. When BAM starts in a new campaign, I have no clue as to how many sides are involved who is enemy vs ally etc. there are different boosting factors for each, I would have to iterate through all units for all sides, of course if I ever figure out how to just boost the darn leader of the enemy side with out touching him. I could probably do as you suggest.

Let me try to show you what I'm dealing with, here are two events, both are "Predefined Events With Filters " so they come with unit data [see automatically stored variables in VariablesWML doc.]

[event]
		name=unit placed
		first_time_only=no
		[filter]
			side=1
			[not]
				ability="boost"
			[/not]	
		[/filter]
		{EVENT_BOOST_PLAYER $x1 $y1}
	[/event]
	[event]
		name=attack
		first_time_only=no
		[filter]
			side=1
			[not]
				ability="boost"
			[/not]	
		[/filter]
		{EVENT_BOOST_PLAYER $x1 $y1}
	[/event]
The first event works every time the second never does. The check, to see if Boosting is turned on, is done in the EVENT_BOOST_PLAYER macro. The only difference in these two events is the type of trigger.
ok. btw, idea: you can put options like the following into [modification] (the "id="s in [checkbox] are variables a yes/no value depending on what a player sets them to). like this the example below, you can use them if players are new to the mod and want a slightly simplified version, or want some configuration, etc.
sorry you lost me here... I'm totally unfamiliar with this. is it for turning off options? I could do that with [show_if] I thought it was the wording of the menu options that was unclear. Just taking the first page of the ALTAR menu, how would you make it clearer?

ForestDragon
Forum Regular

Post by ForestDragon » January 12th, 2018, 6:20 am

Dinosaur wrote:I have no Idea how to do that.... In fact in a way that's exactly what I am trying to do. When BAM starts in a new campaign, I have no clue as to how many sides are involved who is enemy vs ally etc. there are different boosting factors for each, I would have to iterate through all units for all sides, of course if I ever figure out how to just boost the darn leader of the enemy side with out touching him. I could probably do as you suggest.
if you want to filter the leader, you can use "side=" alongside "canrecruit=yes" inside the boost value without needing the coordinates (considering there's generally only 1 leader of a given side at a time) .If you want to filter the allies/enemies, you can use the following filters (put inside the unit filters). as for filtering all units, I am a bit unsure myself for now.

#allies:
                [filter_side]
                    [allied_with]
                        side=1
                    [/allied_with]
                [/filter_side]
#enemies:
                [filter_side]
 	 	    [not]
                    [allied_with]
                        side=1
                    [/allied_with]
		    [/not]
                [/filter_side]
Dinosaur wrote:sorry you lost me here... I'm totally unfamiliar with this. is it for turning off options? I could do that with [show_if] I thought it was the wording of the menu options that was unclear.
Well, the point of the [options] tag inside [modification] is to allow players to toggle specific variables before the mod starts. It's not really necessary, but could be useful in some cases.
Dinosaur wrote:Just taking the first page of the ALTAR menu, how would you make it clearer?
well, by uniformity: less colors, more labeling with "image="s inside [option]s, etc.
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Creator of Tale of Alan (1.12 abandoned) and The Golden Age (1.12/1.13, temporarily abandoned again),XP Bank (now on 1.14),Alliances Mod(1.12, very buggy)
"Real life is like a hyper-realistic VR game, but with permadeath and boring gameplay"

Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur » January 13th, 2018, 12:43 am

ForestDragon...... Thanks for your patience...

I'm working on it..... :)

Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur » April 17th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Hello all,
I have recently published a new release of BAM v,1.1.0.... I was previously running Wesnoth version 1.13.8 but when I tried to update the add-on server copy I was receiving the message "add-on rejected server is in read-only mode" after a couple of days of this I could no longer even connect to the add-on server because it was taken offline...... so. I guessed that I needed an update to a newer version.... and after searching release availability found that 1.13.14 is now generally available so I downloaded and installed this new release. To my delight the new add-on server connected and I was able to publish my MOD.. :D

However, it seems that some unknown changes were made in this new release that renders all of the images/icons/etc. that I worked for weeks to include as requested to no longer display. Log messages for all these .png files found in the data/core are as follows:
20180417 15:36:50 error filesystem: Not opening 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.13.14/data/core/images/items/brazier.png ' due to case mismatch.
20180417 15:36:50 error display: could not open image 'items/brazier.png '
20180417 15:36:50 error filesystem: Not opening 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.13.14/data/core/images/icons/book.png ' due to case mismatch.
20180417 15:36:50 error display: could not open image 'icons/book.png '
.... and so on for the vast majority of images used in this mod...

When I examined the core files in search of these images I could not detect any differences in their names or content???????
So does anyone out there have any clue as to what is going on here and how to fix it..... Your aid is greatly appreciated.... :D