[Complete] International Wesnoth Tournament 2016

Moderator: Forum Moderators

NymmeL

Re: International Wesnoth Tournament 2016

Post by NymmeL »

ElderofZion -vs- NymmeL at Tomorrow evening after 18:30 :D.
py6aka

Post by py6aka »

py6aka won gnidaoL at the Freelands
Orcs vs Loyal, classical cav's rush was destroyed by some grunts and archers
Replay in attach
Attachments
py6aka_vs_gnidaoL_IWP_2016.gz
(44.36 KiB) Downloaded 629 times
The Silver Age Project
Wanna help? Contact us!
jurijuice

Post by jurijuice »

I have one proposal for Horus2, if possible please edit your post after counting played matches - like below:
HUNGARY vs POLAND
Berez - Mee
Nymmel - ElderofZion
ikomizo - mortalenemy
Solymos-HUN - Reqinek
yanosz - Caritas
szdik570 - ForPeace
1:0 Horus - jurijuice
Matyi - craken
Krogen - Kasia
Thanks if it is possible!
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

jurijuice wrote:I have one proposal for Horus2, if possible please edit your post after counting played matches - like below:
Thanks if it is possible!
Yes, i will update the scoreboards soon, but only in spoilers.
Ammazzalepri wrote:Really? I was sure that one of the observer of my game said that he saw the timer working for my opponent, and I had the timer in function too. That's strange!

In anycases I'm asking myself, at the light of all this, if we truly need that timer. I don't want to open a long polemic while the tournament is already started, but I'm asking myself if we can't simply reach an agreement like gentlemen about selecting the timer mode on or off for every battle. Experience tell me that the most epic battle are the ones where every movement need a long calibration and thinking and the match result depends closely on the good thinking of the player. Not to mention a big map - late game case, where 6 minuts are not even eneugh to move all your unit. We are wesnothian players, we don't like frantic action! :P
Please consider it Horus!
I considered it and and i have to say no. Below i sum up all my arguments:
  • My original plan was to make it without timer, but the former Russian TC objected strongly against it. Everyone else was neutral on it for months, till now.
  • I promised to make the tournament this way, now i would disappoint those who were leaning toward timer.
  • Some players just abuse it to the maximum and if you get impatient, they sincerely think it is you to blame.
  • Without a timer, it is very subjective to call something an abusement or an acceptable speed. Timer makes it very objective.
  • Ladder compared to the thrill of a tournament is a casual game, with a cup of tea, so the slow gets slower. And there are deadlines, too.
  • Uniform rules for all people involved wherever possible, if timer is optional, we are not measured on the same scale.
  • It gives a certain prestige to the game, makes it different from our regular entertainment.
  • More friendly for observers.
  • Being able to make good moves under the pressure of time is also a skill.
  • Although most of the time, there is no such pressure. Experience tells that a 6 minute setting is generous enough to play even on the citadel.
  • Time can be stopped when someone has a good reason. Phone call is not punishable, neither other urgent activities - only playing infuriatingly slow.
ElderofZion wrote:Can we play without timer if both players agree? My main reason for this is that if I needed to go afk (go to the toilet for example) I would most likely instantly lose a turn and probably the entire match, I am really afraid of this, if you say that the only consequence of not having the "standard" settings is that your opponent may contest the match then I think I can go to an agreement with my opponent to not use the timer without any consequences.
For clarification: having a timer does not mean that you cannot have a brief pause.
You can freeze the time during the turn of the opponent by opening the game menu. When you are ready again and unfreeze, you start the turn with full time.
But even if there is an emergency situation, you can just abort the game and reload it, it is perfectly understandable if the real life calls. You can abort it and reload 3 minutes later. This was the practice during all Hungarian tournaments, and noone will suck out your blood. The only thing this prevents is playing in snail pace.
diomed

Post by diomed »

Elf with undead.not easy for undead and i have a little luck.GG
Attachments
vs_Daire.gz
(23.38 KiB) Downloaded 590 times
Yuzir

Post by Yuzir »

Thx for the clarifications Horus2, but like others I would have prefered no timer for a such important event and tournaments in gerneral or at least a longer timer, can it be increased at least ?
Gravellu

Post by Gravellu »

@Horus
Totally agree on every point: (imho) play without timer is impossible. Some players they take too long time for EVERY single turn.
Of course, the unexpected events can happen, but in this case all we will have patience and demonstrate fair play to the opponent. :)
Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Yuzir

Post by Yuzir »

Loyals over Drakes on Sulla's Ruins.
I played very rarely this map, so I was a bit confused at the beginning.
He recruited a lot of saurs, soon I saw coming forward his leader, and after a night assault that was bad for me, I recruited a spearman instead of an horseman to not scare his commander, hoping that he would boldly forward with his leader, he did and instead of covering better his king he took villages, so i took advantage of drake's low defense on plains and leadership trait, I killed his guard and then the king.
The luck that he got at some point returned at the end of the game, otherwise it would have meant a lot of trouble for me.
He played very well, I have to train more, but my strategy was nice, and the game enjoyable.
Attachments
2p_-_Sulla's_Ruins_replayYuzirVsIgorbat99.gz
(18.05 KiB) Downloaded 607 times
Last edited by Yuzir on September 21st, 2016, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

I used to be a big-big hater of the timer, and cheered in joy when Horus first told me that he plans no timer for the event. Then I observed some extremely slow players, and it was a huge pain in itself. I can hardly imagine how it feels to play with an opponent sooo slow, and I never want to experience it. Even obvious moves took 8-10 minutes.
So long live the timer!
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
mortalenemy

Post by mortalenemy »

Ikomizo vs Mortalenemy will be played on Friday evening after 20:30.
Gravellu

Post by Gravellu »

I waited until 18:30, but Renom is absent. It's impossible send a pm to him (user unknown???)

I asked py6aka about him in the chat game Draghen vs Kral1, but nothing.
Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
draghen

Post by draghen »

Undead win vs Orcs.
Attachments
2p_—_Ruphus_Isle_replay_draghen_vs_Kral1_IWP_2016.gz
(25.03 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
vandal

Post by vandal »

download/file.php?mode=view&id=72093
help me :) its hard to report game here
vandal vs Regno-Bello, i won
vandal_vs_Regno-Bello_IWT.gz
(50.4 KiB) Downloaded 856 times
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

NymmeL vs ElderofZion I won

Mirror ud on Ruphus Isle (If you wanted to inclued that replay in your statistics horus im pretty sure that would be the first mirror ud though I don't think the fact that ud won is indicative of anything)

I went ghouls +da +a few zombies and 2 skellys while my opponent went mass skellys + a few da, failed mass skelly attack during day decided the game, as my hordes of da picked apart retreating skellys and the game turned out to be pretty one-sided. gg
Attachments
2p_—_Ruphus_Isle_powtórka.gz
(35.13 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
Last edited by Elder2 on September 21st, 2016, 9:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Caritas

Post by Caritas »

Caritas won over yanusz
Attachments
2p_—_The_Freelands_replay.gz
(18.15 KiB) Downloaded 572 times