[Complete] (TAF)The Alternate Frontier, 1v1 wesnoth tournament

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gallifax
Multiplayer Moderator

Re: (TAF)The Alternate Frontier, 1v1 wesnoth tournament

Post by Gallifax »

Too bad TBS.

Well I have no interest in competition, I was only interested for the sake of testing balance and getting good results. I believe playing on problematic maps coold distract from the balance test.

Khalifate would be another no go for me, but doesnt matter at this point:)

Good luck though with the tournament!

I saw your whisper the other day, sadly I was afk and 1 hour later I msged you for about 2 hours and couldnt get you. Well eventually we might get a game. We'll see.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Just to chime in with a few thoughts:

I think TBS has been doing some great work on the Alternate Era, so I definitely don't want to crowd that out with this idea. That said, my thinking is that *someday* both the Alternate Era and the Khalifate would be included in a well balanced common era that everyone wants to play. That may be called "default", or may be called something else. It may be included in mainline, or it may be that everyone just downloads it and plays with it (much like standard map packs and such). So I was starting to lurk around the forums and thinking about what experienced person I could get to run a tournament, and then TBS posts up his tournament! So there are basically three things that could happen:
  • 1. Original tournament as outlined in the first post, Then Khalifate Era tournament to start in some weeks or perhaps after this one is over, since presumably some of the same people might want to be in both.

2. Combining the two tournaments, with both eras as is, then everything is tested - regular factions get games and test the leaders, Khalifate gets tested too without a lot of "boring" games where one side HAS to play Khalifate (otherwise a tournament to test the Khalifate is hard, because matchups without them in it are not useful).

3. Doing a quick hack on the Alternate Era and adding some Khalifate leaders to test and adding them into the Alternate Era. Maybe this wouldn't work, or work out to be a disaster, but if it DID would then it would make for a really interesting era down the road...
Personally, I'm looking at option 3 and I'm optimistic that TBS and I can hammer out details to make that fun and workable, but I'm also curious what potential players would go for.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Danniel_BR
2019 Fast Tournament Champion

Post by Danniel_BR »

Hey TBS.Can i play your tt? :P
Duthlet
Code Contributor

Post by Duthlet »

I'd like to participate. Preferably without khalifate, as I won't be able to familiarize myself with a whole faction prior to the tournament.
plk2_

Post by plk2_ »

Sign plk2_ in. I can need some experience in this maps. Also Khalifate is fine.
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

Ok, great to have everyone who's signed up already! Up to 16 players now which was what I was hoping to make 2 groups of 8, though of course more players are welcome.

At the moment I'm looking at including the khalifate, they're ahead in my little poll, and I'm putting together some leaders for option 3 there so if anyone really doesn't want them in and hasn't told me yet then they should do so.

I hope to release a new version of alternate era and assign you to your groups tomorrow or Saturday so that players can start getting some games in over the weekend.
noob-killer

Post by noob-killer »

hi all ^_^
to late join? hikss
Gnork

Post by Gnork »

Hi! I wish to join too, if still possible :hmm:
The Black Sword

Sorry, for taking so long with getting the era ready, the tasks seemed to grow and my time seemed to dwindle. As it stands I was hoping to put a bit more work into the khalifate leaders but they'll do hopefully. You can now download the latest version of alternate era from the add-ons server. You will also have to download the khalifate era to use the Alternate + Khalifate option.

With regard to the khalifate, I've decided to allow people to be put on a no khalifate list if they wish because it was rather parachuted in mid sign up. If you wish to be on the list PM me and I will put it on the front page. Any games these people play should just use Alternate Era as opposed to Alternate+Khalifate era. That said, I would really encourage people to try out the Khalifate and have fun with them, most people will be in the same boat with regard to a lack of experience, so it shouldn't really be a disadvantage. I didn't get too many contacts previously telling me they didn't want them in the tournament, so we shouldn't have too many on this list either.

Ok, that aside, I can reveal to you your groups:

Group Weldyn
Oook, Undertaker, Mint, Rigor, abhijit, amikrop, khorne-flakes, maze, NanRage, GaretJax, Castoridae

Group Elensefar
The Black Sword, plk2, Rene, Dreadnough, Bast, Danniel_BR, Duthlet, noob-killer, Gnork, Kira1

The two grades are as follows:
Grade 1: The Black Sword, plk2, Oook,Undertaker, Rene, Mint, Dreadnough, Rigor, Kira1, Castoridae
Grade 2: abhijit, amikrop, Bast, khorne-flakes, maze, NanRage, Danniel_BR, Duthlet, noob-killer, Gnork, GaretJax
You'll notice I put even numbers from each grade into each group. These grades correspond to ladder rating IIRC, if anyone feels they are in the wrong grade they can PM me.

Here's the list of your opponents for the first two weeks, 1 player in each group only has 2 opponents but remember you can play anyone in your group, so long as you make sure these games are played by Wednesday in 2 weeks time, 13 March.

NanRage: maze, Rigor, Mint
maze: NanRage, amikrop, Oook
Rigor: NanRage, abhijit, Mint
Mint: NanRage, Rigor, Oook
abhijit: Rigor, Undertaker, khorne-flakes
Oook: Mint, maze, amikrop
amikrop: maze, Oook, khorne-flakes
Undertaker: abhijit, khorne-flakes
khorne-flakes: abhijit, amikrop, Undertaker

The Black Sword: Gnork, Rene, Bast
Gnork: The Black Sword, noob-killer, Danniel_BR
noob-killer: Gnork, Dreadnough, plk2
Danniel_BR: Gnork, Bast, Rene
Rene: The Black Sword, Dreadnough, Danniel_BR
Bast: The Black Sword, Danniel_BR, plk2
Dreadnough: noob-killer, Duthlet, Rene
Duthlet: plk2, Dreadnough
plk2: noob-killer,Bast, Duthlet

I will probably edit all of this into the first page when I get some time.

Let TAF begin!
Last edited by 8680 on March 8th, 2013, 12:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Stripped [size] tags per Posting Guideline 1d.
Duthlet
Code Contributor

Post by Duthlet »

Finally :)

Unfortunately, the list of opponents for group Elensefar seems to be mixed up. It's not symmetric and plk2's list is missing.
It's fixed now. Thx TBS.
Last edited by Duthlet on February 27th, 2013, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

I'm looking forward to seeing some games! I updated the Khalifate era on the addon server to 2.0.2 recently (minor fix to make sure there won't be movetype issue conflicts with other eras). Please do try them out, or at least look at them! ;)

Make sure to report any bugs in the Khalifate to me (forum PM works, or you can find me on IRC as "happygrue" at #wesnoth-khalifate). I am SURE that there will be feedback, and changes to the Khalifate after this tournament, and hopefully another tournament to test out the changes, and then and then more changes, and then... well - you get the idea. ;)
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
The Black Sword

Fixed that issue with group elensefar I think, thanks.
Duthlet
Code Contributor

Post by Duthlet »

Duthlet vs Dreadnough is starting now.
Are we supposed to announce our games here?

edit: game is finished now. We got undead (p1, Dreadnough, phantom) vs rebels (p2, Duthlet, Legend) on silverhead crossing.
result:
summary:
Attachments
TAF_group_stage_-_Dreadnough_vs_Duthlet_-_Silverhead_Crossing_replay.gz
the replay
(23.04 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
khorne-flakes

Post by khorne-flakes »

Hi, my very lucky khalifas.... jhund spam won over abhijit evil orcs in Tombs of kesorak, the replay is displayed down
Attachments
2p_-_Tombs_Of_Kesorak_khalifa_over_orcs.gz
(46.73 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
Oook

Post by Oook »

My khalifa (P1) v abhijit's drakes on Hamlets.

Result:
Spoiler:
Attachments
Oook_v_abhijit_(TAF)_2p_-_Hamlets_Turn_14.gz
(30.13 KiB) Downloaded 589 times