[Complete] Best two units, the tournament

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dunno

Re: Best two units, the tournament

Post by Dunno »

soul_steven wrote:There is a reason that ud dont have a leadership unit.
Well this is a good point. A very good one, to be honest. Leadership might affect balance too much... What do you say for an Elvish Lady as a leader :lol2: ?
No, seriously. 6mp, no attacks, no abilities that might spoil the game... too bad she's lvl 3, but since it's 1v1 that doesn't really matter.
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Gnork

Post by Gnork »

Dunno wrote:
soul_steven wrote:There is a reason that ud dont have a leadership unit.
Well this is a good point. A very good one, to be honest. Leadership might affect balance too much... What do you say for an Elvish Lady as a leader :lol2: ?
No, seriously. 6mp, no attacks, no abilities that might spoil the game... too bad she's lvl 3, but since it's 1v1 that doesn't really matter.
Once again, I would be the first to vote for Elvish Lady... if only she were available in a PYR era :augh:
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Gnork wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote:Well that would be very different. (...)
Maybe I should just use cavs. ;)
Yes, please do :mrgreen:
In a 2 units faction, chosing a scout rather than a fighter is already quite audacious, so I don't want to discourage this kind of strategy by restricting village picking.
Yes, you will get more gold to recruit more cavs... but I don't care as they will die on my pikes anyway :twisted:
I don't think you properly read what I wrote. It's not that the cav steals the village and sits there. It holds it for the one or two turns it will take for my durable fighter unit to take its place. If you send enough units in that direction to clear it off before then, you're going to experience steals elsewhere, and then it's game over. Regardless, not worth arguing about- you can have your own opinion. ;) There's going to be a lot of rock-paper scissors going on in this tourney where some teams are going to do really well against most of the field, but won't be able to handle one or two configurations. So be it. :)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

I think we're over-thinking this too much. We just need some diplomacy, like a voting system for what we want.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

If you want to use the PYR era, you could use a custom map that changes the leader automatically to Elvish Lady and then makes her a level 2 on the first turn. It would probably be a good idea to let Doc choose a map that minimizes the Player1/2 disparity he was talking about anyways.

Code: Select all

[event]
  name=start
  {MODIFY_UNIT canrecruit=yes type "Elvish Lady"}
  {MODIFY_UNIT canrecruit=yes level 2}
[/event]
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Gnork

Post by Gnork »

Gnork wrote:No, the rule is "Lieutenant for all"... until we agree on another rule :mrgreen:
(...)
Again, if someone is ready to create the right era... otherwise, simpler will be better imho.
Yes, Dunno did it ! Thank him very much for his very appreciated help.
His new PYR era is attached to the first post of this thread :D
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

What's the point in changing it to level 2. Does it matter if your leader level 2 or level 3?
Great_Mage_Atari

csarmi wrote:What's the point in changing it to level 2. Does it matter if your leader level 2 or level 3?
I thought you weren't playing after your "dishonor" rant.
To answer your question, if I have a fighter that needs x amount of xp to advance, I can xp farm on the leader. Higher level equals more xp gain from a conflict, meaning that you can get more xp from a higher level unit in less time.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

MY dishonor rant? I wasn't the one who acted like you did.

Also, it's either YOU or ME not playing. Not ME not playing. You read it bad.

You're right about xp. It does matter if it's 2 or 3. And what does it have to do whether I'm playing or not?
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

csarmi wrote:MY dishonor rant? I wasn't the one who acted like you did.

Also, it's either YOU or ME not playing. Not ME not playing. You read it bad.

You're right about xp. It does matter if it's 2 or 3. And what does it have to do whether I'm playing or not?
csarmi, now this is starting to sound like a personal attack. Everyone is well aware of your allegations now. Please take up your remaining concerns about Great_Mage_Atari with the tournament organizer in private. There is no need for publicly sharing any further provocations from either side in this dispute.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

About the leader level: imho it does not matter, since Elvish Lady can't do anything besides sitting on the keep and recruiting. If you manage to attack her, it's gg anyway, I can't think of any other possibility. If someone puts a good point here, however, I can just make a leader unit from scratch with no attacks, no abilities, lvl2, 6 mp and standard movement costs
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Superking

Post by Superking »

^ Yes pls, I dont see how we are going to reach an agreement elsewise :)
lover de wesnoth
Gnork

Post by Gnork »

Elvish Lady seems to be ok for everyone, isn't it ?
powershot

Post by powershot »

How about one with 5-3melee and 5-3 ranged, to defend.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Great_Mage_Atari

powershot wrote:How about one with 5-3melee and 5-3 ranged, to defend.
I like the idea of not having a combat leader.