[Complete] BWI - Brutal Wesnoth International - Prize Tournament

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: BWI - Brutal Wesnoth International - Prize Tournament

Post by Doc Paterson »

neki wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote:What the frak is up with everyone repeating that *exact same line*? An army of androids? :lol2:
Doc, I can assure you we are real people that share the *exact same idea*. By the way, did I tell you that I support this tournament and competitive Wesnoth in general ?
I just saw the video, so now I understand.

About this whole issue, would it ruin things if it were on another server? Or does the number of people on the server tie directly to the whole money-prize-funding thing?
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
neki

Post by neki »

I don't think it is good to discuss these things before I talk to Dave. I just want people to show their support first for the tournament, so the developers can see that this is indeed wanted by the community and the matches taking place on the official server would be a delight for the community that would outweigh the additional risk that... one of the developers was talking about.
lipk

Post by lipk »

Well, isupportthistournamentandcompetitivewesnothingeneral, but...

1, The dislike of the dev(s) should have not come as a surprise. Since "Add a scoring/ranking system to online multiplayer." is a frequently proposed (and thus a repeatedly rejected) idea, you could guess the general attitude towards the competitive spirit.

2, Money is likely to cause legal issues anywhere. I can't call it anything but a mistake that you didn't contact the devs well before going public with this idea.

3, Money once again... are you aware of that Wesnoth is not cheat safe?

4, You will surely achieve nothing with a raw number of supporters repeating the same (rather meanless) phrase. Wesnoth is a free game thus players are not customers. They make no benefit for the creators so their opinion matters little. If you had some respected community members with you putting up sensible arguments, maybe... but a handful first-posters with a copy-paste statement? Eh...

And finally, hearing your tone of voice in the video I cannot get rid of the thought that you're taking this case way too serious. Don't do it. It's just a game, after all...
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

5. Telling people to spam the forums with the same meaningless post is going to annoy Gambit.
6. Implying that this thread has an impending lock is going to annoy Gambit. We don't just go around randomly locking things.

I also support competitive Wesnoth as long as it won't devolve into Srs Bsns™ which money will make it do very easily.
Seriously just host another server. It's not that hard. And this is a turn based game, so you don't have to worry about biased lag like you would with a shooter.
kiki

Post by kiki »

7. I support this tournament and competitive Wesnoth in general!^^

money isn't everything, i just want to play hehhe
neki

Post by neki »

Thanks, kiki!

@moderators: Well, if we host this tournament on another server, we will never get to find out what actually the effects of competitive Wesnoth are actually on the Server. Why can't we take this as a small scale experiment, especially since there is great support among the players ? I feel like directing banning an idea without even giving it a try is wrong. And about the well in advance thing, the tournament officially starts on January (that's what the sponsors are paying for). Only the qualifying rounds start in a few days.

@all those interested and all the respected and all the old members of the community (like the moderators were saying), now is the time to express your ideas, so please do, if you have any.
Last edited by neki on November 1st, 2011, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoJocage

Post by JoJocage »

I support this tournament and competitive Wesnoth in general!
I am sorry for my bad English.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Do not post that message again without adding something significant to the conversation.
neki

Post by neki »

Gambit wrote:Do not post that message again without adding something significant to the conversation.
Some of them are bad with English, Gambit, they want to say something to show their support, please don't be so harsh on them, it's like saying: "It matters to me too". They are real people, I can assure you!
PsyXs

Post by PsyXs »

Yay for the high chance of a huge fight between the 2 sides of this arguement is about to happen......... simple solution would be host a server and advertise the match on the main server. The only thing is that I believe we should be able to play the finals in the main server as a test run to whether competitive wesnoth is feasible. The devs are most likely afraid that competitive wesnoth will turn this game into a cheating frenzy
neki

Post by neki »

We could play the qualifying rounds away from the server and play the Round Robin on the main server, which would be 100% manageable for the moderators and devs - 4 games per week for 7 weeks, 4 chances per week to research cheating possibilities and ways to counter them. It seems a good experiment that will help Wesnoth go forward. If there aren't any anti cheating mechanisms in Wesnoth, maybe it's time for some to be made. Of course, this is a hard task, that's why this tournament could be (it doesn't have to be and I am sure it won't be) a first developer encounter with these problems, although devs don't need to make them their problems if they don't want, they are 100% the organizers' problems after all.
Spelp

Post by Spelp »

I still don't get why it is a problem to play those matches on the official server. Launching an other server will lower the amount of the observers and cheerleaders a lot, so the whole tournament will be smaller and less interesting in my opinion. And i guess everybody knows this, so at least please let it be clear why should we move this tournament to a different server?
Dauntless
TGT Champion

Post by Dauntless »

Hi guys,

I have quite a lot to say on this topic, however a lot of that should be discussed in private I think...

What is possible to say openly and is rellevant, is that, in my opinion, all the previous tourneys (ToC, TGT, KotF) were quite a refreshment to the community and the game itself, also helping to move wesnoth forward in attractivity, balance etc.

I would also try to support the variability that wesnoth offers. That there are competitive tourneys doesnt mean that other players cant play survivals, settlers, friendly 2v2s, WCs or a million other modes.

Furthermore it is true, that players have no rights to decide where wesnoth will be heading, but I believe, that you, the devs, made and make this game for players to enjoy it :)
So in this case i feel that you should be interested in what players think. Ofc any kind of "demands" from our side are out of bounds.

This brings me to the last point. I know neki quite well, and just yesterday, when he told me about this arising potentional problem, I told him to try to take it easy and polite. I know very well, how emotional/impolite he can become, but it would be sad to lose a good idea just due to his bad PR. (i know that neki and the aforementioned dev have had personal arguments before)

Thats about it

Dauntless
PsyXs

Post by PsyXs »

Aww Dauntless your peacemaking stopped a very likely fight XD. Also neki you should just start discussing in private
Lancelote

Post by Lancelote »

Some of them are bad with English
+1, most popular cause - take my word for it.

You do great (hope not donkey) work neki, I surprised community old-timers and wesnoth devs didnt welcome your initiative, all cases against seems rather strange (Srs Bsns phobia? can't be serious!). Im newcomer and as for me your efforts is worthy of respect, gl for you!