[Complete] Quick Tournament Signup

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Caphriel

Re: Quick Tournament Signup

Post by Caphriel »

More questions:
We have to pick factions; I assume that's done at the time of the first match. Do the players always have to use the same leader, or can they change leader each match? How is the seating order determined? That is, which team is players 1 and 4, which team is players 2 and 3?

Which maps teams may teams choose and which maps might the first map of each set be? You already ruled out Isar's Cross, but what about 4P Hamlets, which is almost as small? Is Morituri allowed? What about Siege Castles, which isn't really balanced? Please provide a map list.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

As the tournament is nearing the start date (6/25), there are only 8 players (2 set teams) so far. If by five days (well, now almost 4 days) of time and not enough players sign up, what do we do? Do we postpone it entirely? If so, until when? Oh, adn could And please answer Caphriel's questions, that would help a lot :mrgreen:

EDIT:
To maybe help you out, here's a possible list of the possible maps? You can discard this if you wish, it's just my idea.
Blue Water Province
Castle Hopping Isle
Clash
Loris River
Paths of Daggers
Ruins of Terra-Dwelve
Underworld
Xanthe Chaos

So...8 maps

EDIT2: I'm listing out as well the current players/teams if any for the OP until he comes back.
1. jonny? / Roc
2. Caphriel / Guderian
3. Hulavuta / elvish_sovereign
Chris7mas
Dunno

8p to go.
Last edited by monochromatic on June 24th, 2010, 3:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

My money is on the effort being abandoned by the organizer, or something similar. To try to help out, I'll suggest answers to my own questions:

If the teams agree on a timer settings, let them play that setting. If not, use a moderate timer setting, such as 360/360 +300/30. The reason for using a timer is because given time constraints of some of the players, untimed games would take too long. However, using a short timer would degrade play quality substantially and impede communication and teamwork.

Similarly, allow teams to suspend and continue games at a later point. Nobody should be forced to forfeit because they have other commitments. If you want a quick 2v2 tournament, play one game per round. Three games in a week might be difficult if the games take a long time.

I would suggest requiring players to keep the same leader as well as faction for every game. This is to prevent counter-picking, such as a white mage against the undead, or something similar. However, it might be interesting to allow the players on a team to switch who plays which faction :)

In regard to order of play, I would suggest a rule based on the random bracket generation, such as the top team plays first on odd numbered rounds, and the bottom team plays first on even numbered rounds, or something similar, for the first game. For the second game, I would suggest the team picking the map also picks which team they want. However, I would think that the players on a team must play in the order they join (and must choose their faction when they join, if you take my earlier suggestion).

As far as the maplist goes, I agree with elvish_sovereign.

ES (sorry, that underscore is too annoying to type :P), if jonny doesn't get things straightened out by the start date, I would think taking an extra week and doing some organization by committee would be okay. With only eight players, we could do a four-team round robin instead of an eight-team elimination in the same number of rounds.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Day before the tournament. Ok, if jonny stops responding, we'll only have 7 people. Now what? We don't even have clear cut teams.

Ok, that was a little exaggerated. But still, the start date is tomorrow, and we don't have enough people. Say Caphriel, since you came up with some ideas, what do you think we should do next? I say it's impossible to get 8-9 people by tomorrow.

Ideas, anyone?
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Clearly, jonny has abandoned this project, and nobody else is looking terribly interested. I checked the replay archives, and he hasn't totally vanished, but he's been mostly playing Isar's Cross and a UMC RPG, it looks like :roll:

I don't think it's worth trying to save this, because it would require postponing the start date indefinitely until a sufficient number of interested players sign up. We don't have enough players or teams to make any sort of result-tracking meaningful. If nothing else, E_S, you and Hulavuta could play a few games against donkey and myself, though :)

If someone can find jonny on the MP server and ask him about this, that would probably be helpful. Otherwise, I'm considering this tournament indefinitely postponed or canceled, unless two more players sign up.

I've got some ideas for a way to encourage more 2v2 play and to help players and teams find opponents, but I want to run it by a couple people before posting it.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Good idea.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Rocier

Post by Rocier »

hey guys. I apologize on behalf of my team mate. I told him this would be tough to put togeather. But he seemed really into it. I didnt think he would just bail on it like this. I'm still down if someone wants to pick up the reigns. I may be able to scratch up another teamy, or go with a rando.
Rocier

Post by Rocier »

also. as far as the structure. I vote time limit. something reasonable, like 300 ,120, w/e.

I agree with the map list above, except for blue water and ruins. I'd veto those if i could.

Also 1 game per round is not reasonable in a tourny of skill. Too many random factors. You have to make the rounds at least best of 3 to help smooth out those odds. i.e. Undead vs drakes, the starting time makes a huge difference.

Also, I agree you must stick w/ your race thru the tourny. But, random has to be an option, and anyone who wouldnt chose random should prolly back out now. :wink:
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Is it really necessary to add rules when we're still deciding whether this contest is going to go anywhere?

Anyway, I think Caphriel should be in charge if jonny doesn't return, if he wants.
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Random was forbidden from the start, and is the main reason I signed up :| Why would you say that it has to be an option?

I'm sure we all have maps on that maplist we'd veto if we could (there are two on there that I hate, and one I think isn't completely balanced), but they're all generally balanced.

I don't think anyone suggested playing one-game rounds; three game rounds are much better.

If you can get ahold of jonny, we'll have enough people for something. If not, we need one more player.

I am willing to take over organizational tasks if nobody objects/wants to do it themselves.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

so...
When do we start? Who's with me in team? Do we have enough players?
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Yes I vote Caphriel to take over this project! :D
@Dunno the match as of now is delayed indefinitely. I would assume Chris7mas would be your partner since you guys live in the same timezone. But I 'dunno' really. We're missing one player to make 4 teams.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

history of my nick(@e_s)
I just really had no idea how to name myself! That's why I wrote "dunno" which actually sounds like a name. Feel free to use it in jokes!
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

If Caphriel is going to rule this tournament, then I want participate on it (I just had good reasons to not trust jonny). I am from Spain but I dont have time zone, I can play at any hour :)
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

You don't have school/work/sleep?
~Sierra