[Complete] Quick Tournament Signup

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tekelili

Re: Quick Tournament Signup

Post by tekelili »

Hulavuta wrote:You don't have school/work/sleep?
:lol2: My work is play poker, and I destroyed my sleep habits long time ago to play at the same time than USA players to get their money :P
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Dunno wrote:
history of my nick(@e_s)
I just really had no idea how to name myself! That's why I wrote "dunno" which actually sounds like a name. Feel free to use it in jokes!
@Dunno
Well I 'dunno' if I'll really use it. :wink:
So I'll tentatively pair us up (by timezone, alphabetically):

Caphriel / Guderian
c4rLOs8 / tekelili
Chris7mas / Dunno
elvish_sovereign / Hulavuta
Roc

Sound okay?

EDIT: I guess it is okay, just now Roc doesn't have a partner. Is it possible to have 5 teams, Caph?
Last edited by monochromatic on June 25th, 2010, 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I dont know if tournament sing up is totally closed, but I would like team with c4rLOs8. He is also spanish speaker and would really make easier our comunication :)

He is agree in team with me btw
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

tekelili wrote:
Hulavuta wrote:You don't have school/work/sleep?
:lol2: My work is play poker, and I destroyed my sleep habits long time ago to play at the same time than USA players to get their money :P
So you never go to sleep ever? And don't you have to focus on your poker game?
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Just letting you guys know I'm not dead or anything, but I won't be able to check the forum much tomorrow; I'll be putting together a new computer :mrgreen:

We'll be using the maplist E_S put together.

An odd number of teams is possible, but could make things awkward... I can structure it, but each team might have to sit out a round. We'll need one more person, though, after which signup will be closed. Alternatively, Chris7mas hasn't posted here in 10 days, so if he hasn't confirmed he's still in by Sunday night and nobody else has signed up, I'll remove him from the roster and we'll go with 4 teams.

I strongly recommend players play with a 360/360 +300/whatever timer or thereabouts but if both teams agree to another timer setting, that's fine, too.

The tournament format will be a round robin, with four or five teams. Each team will play best 2 out of 3 with each other team, with a tie being broken by the winner of the set between the tying teams. There is an edge case with a 3-way rock-paper-scissors tie in a 4 team RR, and I'll explain how we'll break that if it occurs.

The first match for each round will be played on a randomly-selected map from the maplist. The second map (and if necessary third) rounds will be played on a map chosen by the team that lost the previous map, with the caveat that a map cannot be played twice in a set.

Players must use the same faction and leader throughout the tournament; random for either is not allowed. Whatever faction and leader you join your first game with are your faction and leader for the entire tournament. Do not join your first game with random and then change. Players play in the order the join, with the host always being player 1. Which team hosts the first game of each set will be semi-randomly determined. The losing team hosts the next map. Replays of all games should be posted to this thread when the game is completed.

Given that we're playing a round-robin, previous matches don't need to be completed for the next set to begin. Games may always be suspended at the request of any player to be continued at a later date. If a game is suspended, the intermediate save file should also be posted here.

I will work out the tournament grid after the participant roster is finalized.

Questions? Objections? Anything I missed? Unlike tekelili, I need sleep, and I'm prone to errors when I don't get it :lol2:

Oh, start date. I'm tentatively aiming to start next Saturday, and run one round per week, but we may need to be flexible on that depending on scheduling issues. I'd like to have the roster, matchups, and rules finalized by Wednesday or so, to give us time to start scheduling games for the first round.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

One thing, we need a name for the tournament. Any ideas? Something better than 'Quick Tournament' :P
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Hmm, it needs to have "Cup" in it. Maybe (Place in Wesnoth) Cup. And we should all have vuvuzelas.

Also the teams should have names!

How many extra players do we need? I think I can get PeterPorty on IRC to join, he plays MP a lot. And maybe shadowmaster will play.
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

I have a small request: when you are trying to schedule a match, do think you all could get on irc? I think it would be easier that way rather than wait over pm's and such. I know Hulavuta you're on, but I haven't seen most of the rest you on there yet.
Chris7mas

Post by Chris7mas »

I'm still here Caphriel, watching this thread carefully. I'm OK with teams and rules, also, IRC would be a good idea to put this at work in real time.
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air...
TuxArena - Linux news, tutorials, articles & reviews
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Great! I hope to see you in irc soon. Hulavuta, did shadowmaster agree? If not we're still missing a player to make 5 teams.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I didn't ask him. But I'm guessing he'll say no.
~Sierra
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Okay. Looking at my schedule, it turns out I will not have time to play from 7/1 7/3 - 7/4. The other teams can play each other, but I will not be able to play until then. Sorry guys.

EDIT: Schedule change.
Last edited by monochromatic on June 30th, 2010, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocier

Post by Rocier »

Ugh. No random? That is ghey! WTF was jonny thinkin? I just read the first post thouroughly. Well, I'm still down I guess. (orcs ftw). Waiting on details

Talked to jonny. He's definitly bailed, not only on the tourny, but on the game. :( :lol2: Oh well.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Lol, that's odd. No "Random" but you can still pick randomly. Like with a third party thing, and then just pick whatever it lands on..
~Sierra
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Hulavuta wrote:Lol, that's odd. No "Random" but you can still pick randomly. Like with a third party thing, and then just pick whatever it lands on..
Sure, but you're stuck with it for the rest of the tournament.

Chris7mas, okay. Looks like we still need one more person, then.

IRC, huh? Blargh :(

I don't see any reason to name the tournament or the teams, but you can if you want to.