[Complete] Tournament of Champions 4

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IB

Re: Tournament of Champions

Post by IB »

Zlodzei wrote:45 min turn is rather a myth.
Weird, seeing I was there when it happened. Am I a myth too?
tsr

Post by tsr »

IB wrote:
Zlodzei wrote:45 min turn is rather a myth.
Weird, seeing I was there when it happened. Am I a myth too?
Yes, of course, or do you actually believe you really exist. Bah! :P
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

mrmoose wrote:i agree with wintermute. if im playing a toc game i would rather not feel rushed with a low timer. im a slow player as well and would prefer to not be forced to rush my turns in order to finish within the time limit. 10 min cap is more then reasonable. just my opinion :)
This is a reasonable timer, since it would prevent Pagan-style matches while at the same time accommodates the needs of the slow players.
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Okay I've taken some time to think out some more details. First off is the contentious timer setting. I've had a bit of a discussion and this is what I propose. 5 minute starting time, 3:30 renewal, 10 second action bonus, and a 8 minute reservoir. I think that avoids the problem of players sitting on turns doing nothing, yet gives time for people when they do make an action filled turn.

We're at 20 right now, and I'd like 24. After some thought I split it up to the Eurasian and American Brackets.

European Bracket 12 players -> 6 players -> 3 players (round robin) -> TOC Finalist
American Bracket 12 players -> 6 players -> 3 players (round robin) -> TOC Finalist

For these brackets I've made a rough list. I'd like to gauge people's opinion on how we should organize the bracket. If you don't mind I'd like to distribute the players a bit so we don't have situation with Pagan vs Dutlet and Pietro vs Plk in the first round. I took the list the chosen one made and made two changes, which came up with the following brackets. If people have a problem with this, I can change it, but I think this is a fair way to go, given that we know the relative skill of alot of the players.

Eurasian Bracket. American Bracket

Pagan --------------------- Boomer
Synerror ------------------- Grrr
---------------------- ---------------------
Duthlet --------------------- Kalis
The chosen one -------------- Mr Moose
- --------------------- ---------------------
Suokko ------------------- Xiaoming
Nani ---------------------- Oesis
Light Dragon -------------- Wintermute
Pietro --------------------- Wy 29
- ---------------------
Paris
Plk
- ---------------------
Svek
Swift

As you can see we're short 4 north american players. I'd like to suggest that unless you're willing to play in the North American bracket, we won't accept any more European players. This also means I'll have to have stringent rules on absenteeism and forfeiture to ensure there are no problems.

Give me your thoughts.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
mrmoose

Post by mrmoose »

Noy: what about instead of two brackets u break it into three brackets of 8 players

8 players > 4 players > 2 players > toc finalist

i think this gives u more versatility with setting up the tournament. my suggestion is that instead of having two random round robin players chosen as wild cards one is chosen upon popular vote depending on how they have displayed themselves in the tournament. example being won in least amounts of games. u have made the remark that we know the general skill level of the players therefore it shouldnt be that hard to distribute equal amounted opponents into each bracket i just think this gives a reward to the best person rather then a name being randomly pulled from a hat
just a thought may not be a good idea but i think it would add an interesting aspect to the game
booner

Post by booner »

Noy wrote: Eurasian Bracket. American Bracket

If I am to understand the above correctly, Noy's suggestion would have me matched with Pagan? If that is correct then the choice was not made with a knowledge of the players' abilities. Taking ladders as a benchmark Pagan is running at 72% wins; my ratio is 36%. It is arbitrary; yet judging from Pagan's rank of 9th rank to my 86th there may be some truth to them.

Like the Monty Python knight on the bridge, I would not refuse the fight... however if players' abilities are not being taken into account; then a random draw would seem fairer. It would also bring the "luck aspect" of Wesnoth into the very workings of the tourney. :P
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

no you're matched below you, which in this case is Grrr.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Mr Moose, I'd prefer not to do that. First off there are really only two main time zones, Europe and North America. Dividing it into three forces me to mix two, which really makes it much more difficult for people to arrange matches. In my experience is a serious problem that I would like to avoid. Second, two three player round robins actually make it a bit more interesting, particularly when its mostly upper level players. They get to play different styles vs different players. Its different and I'd like to see how it turns out.

Don Hewitt.
mrmoose

Post by mrmoose »

Noy was just a suggestion thats all:) of course i am not the one setting up the tournament but i can understand the difficulty that must be involved particually with getting players on to play at the same time. i was just thinking its better to reward someone for there skills in the tournament rather then on the randomnnes involved in getting ur name drawn out of a hat. depending on the others who join maybe u can gain 4 more european players if that were the case u would have 16 euro and 8 american which would work perfect to my suggesiton lol anyways if i think of anything else i will let u know
Eskon

Post by Eskon »

Eskon wrote:(Third page)Aw what the hell, sign me up. I need to stop playing against AI only anyway. GMT+1.
If you don't want me to play, that's cool, but I'd have loved to. :cry:
Gallifax
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Gallifax »

@TheChooseOne: Pagan might be a slow player, but he defenitley doesnt sit out games. And he is by far not as slow as the player who made people consider a timer for TOC.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by Wintermute »

I will work on getting Becephalus to fill one of those spots. Also, will this be played on stable or dev branch? There are good reasons for doing it either way I think.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

I'm debating it, I think dev would be good, especially if I can get a WC fix in the next version.

Don Hewitt.
Zlodzei

Post by Zlodzei »

Noy wrote:
Eurasian Bracket. American Bracket

Synerror ------------------- Grrr
---------------------- ---------------------
Duthlet --------------------- Kalis
The chosen one -------------- Mr Moose
Suokko ------------------- Xiaoming
Nani ---------------------- Oesis
Light Dragon -------------- Wintermute
Pietro --------------------- Wy 29
- ---------------------
Paris
Plk
- ---------------------
Svek
Swift
Can't see in this list Yogi Bear, haven't he signed up?
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

I would like to know, for what duration would one round last?

I usually can only play in the weekends, that too, during certain hours. Would it be possible to have like, at least, 1 week for a round? Or would it all end in 4 days?
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation