[Complete] Tournament of Champions 4

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wy29

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by wy29 »

I have an idea regarding leader/faction picking, here's how it goes:

1. Player A chooses a faction.
2. Player B picks 2 factions.
3. Player A then decides which of the 2 factions Player B will get.

The idea is that Player B gets the advantage to pick 2nd, while Player A gets to choose the less dangerous of the 2.
I think this is similar to how the game Renju handles the advantage of being first-to-move.

Regarding the timer:
I'm not sure if everyone notices, but if you turn on the Turn Dialog in the Preferences, a window pops up every time before your turn.
And the trick is, the timer won't start until you click OK.
The means you can visit the washroom and plan your strategies(in the washroom as well?) without the timer expiring.
But you can't scroll the screen or make any moves without clicking OK.

This would allow one to plan moves in one's head before making a move.
Sort of like calculating moves in one's head in Chess, without touching the chess pieces.

And then the actual timer could be used to make the moves, make adjustments due to unexpected RNG values, etc, which should not require more than 5mins usually, if one had included unfavourable outcomes in one's calculations.

So using the Turn Dialog trick, you get infinite time to calculate the moves, but finite time to make them and recalculate according to the outcomes.

Oops, did I just expose an exploit?
TromboneStar
HP 42
7-3 Melee Trombone
4-4 Ranged Star
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

wy29 wrote:The idea is that Player B gets the advantage to pick 2nd, while Player A gets to choose the less dangerous of the 2.
Really, there is no better or worse faction. The only reason a faction would be bad for you is that you are not familiar with it. So it really doesn't matter which faction your opponent chooses. If you have the skills to play your faction, there won't be any disadvantage.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

There is a very easy solution for factions picking.

Player C sets up the game and the factions requested by player A and B. Players join the game, C starts it. Players are not supposed to look at opps faction. Of course they can cheat. Maybe there's a way around this, but I don't think it's needed too much. As of now, someone who really wants to cheat can already check opponent's faction and leader before recruiting.
DarkenShroud

Post by DarkenShroud »

I just played a 1 vs 1 where I chose drakes, and the other player random. They had a huge advantage when playing undead which they got by random. So thier is a certain disadvantage at times random vs chosen faction wise. But on the flip side say yr playing elves and u choose them, you can't really recruit against elves all that much even if u know thier coming. I like the ideas so far, but I'll be happy eitherway the rules sway.
Hexannon
paris

Post by paris »

Noy wrote: So now I have a problem... There are too many European players. I'm going to need one or two of you to play in the American Bracket... really that means you might play later in the evening on weekends vs american players in the afternoon. Are any of the European players willing to do this?
Noy i can join Americans..i really dont have time issues
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

DarkenShroud wrote:I just played a 1 vs 1 where I chose drakes, and the other player random. They had a huge advantage when playing undead which they got by random.
probably you shouldnt chose drakes then, or maybe better not play in the tournament at all :P .

nah, seriously, is there really a problem with that -

i guess if somone hosts a game and the other one joins it, he can chose his faction or random, and thats just fix then.

or player c sets up a game and player A and B whispers him what faction they want, player C confirms their pikcs and these are then the factions they have to play.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, i just didnt joint he tournament becasue my time is extremely limited, but after all i think its probably some fun anyway.

so if someone is missing im glad to jump in.
my time is GMT+1 or something like that

and my timeframe is about 5 to 9 pm, well, its really that close, except weekends
so heres someone for the waitinglist -
DarkenShroud

Post by DarkenShroud »

probably you shouldnt chose drakes then, or maybe better not play in the tournament at all .

:roll: :lol2: :eng:

1st game I played with drakes I owned, but of course my opposites chose elves which were easily defeated. But yeah I agree all around drakes aren't the best choice :geek:
Hexannon
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

IB wrote:I can tell you now the winner won't be picking his faction.
now i dont claim to be the greatest wesnoth plaer of alltime, but for me it looks like this.

for some factions it may be really a slightest disadvanatge if the opponent knows then, or maybe they can optimze their play towards an opponent.

however, this is somehow not really true for loyalists, i found that in most cases i stick with a "standard" intial recruitment and adapt ingame as needed. of course, exceptions make the rule, if i know my opponent i may decide for some special counter spontaneously, but that wont make a big deal in general

if somone states he will win against me if he kows i play loys, i beg for some THEORETICAL backup of this theory, so what units/advantage are you going to have if yu know you play against loys ?

in fact i find it more helpful to the leader i want instead of getting some random [censored].
well, so my opponent knows i play the migts loys with their powerful leader.and now hes going to win 100% ? well, thats great for him, i wont believe, and i bet if he wins it wont depend on knowing that i play loys ;)

i never hear players complain about the faction they chose (except the random drake-noob who think he loses becaseu i got loyalists or against undead --- no offense hexannon, but its true), but hearing player complain they got a [censored] faction (well, from their point of view) when they play random happens frequently :lol2:
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

eg woses are a great recruit against loyalists - they are only really countered by magi, who are the most fragile units in the game per cost, and semi-countered by cavalry, who are easy prey to Archers.

But all this is begging for a split.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

i never have big problems with wose, magi and cavalry make great counters.
(and i never have problems getting two mage and at leatsone cav)

and archers are a great target for my spearman if they step in the open to attack a cav.
so you lose a wose against magi and cav, and afterwards your archer also dies after stepping in the open and killing the easy prey or what ? :D
Last edited by Mabuse on October 10th, 2008, 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

no.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

wy29 wrote:So using the Turn Dialog trick, you get infinite time to calculate the moves, but finite time to make them and recalculate according to the outcomes.

Oops, did I just expose an exploit?
Now fixed in 1.4 and trunk.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Syntax_Error wrote:no.
well, tbh, wose are pretty useless against loys anyway - since they are daylight units, and as a leve you dont want to fight humans at day aynway -

but you can try of course, np for me, i am used to the cries:

"loys are overpowered"
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Mabuse, im on the stable serv atm :) best out of 3 games, you loy, me reb?