[Complete] Tournament of Champions 4

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Re: Tournament of Champions

Post by Wintermute »

Gallifax wrote:Pagans comment reminded me of something important. To prevent people sittings out games there should be a timer.

Would be sad to see another champion who plays 45 min turns to bore his opponent to death.

Relying on good sport of players is one thing, relying on timer is safer.
I agree that a timer is a good idea, however I think that playing with a timer *may* produce an artifical advantage - if the timer setting are below the comfort level of one player but not the other. On the flip side, it has to be short enough to prevent massive stalling.

Personally, I am pretty comfortable with a timer something like 5 min/flat with an 8-10 min cap. This way one can play a 'long' turn or two, but the AVERAGE time per turn is still 5 minutes (10 round trip, if you will). That may be too slow for some, and quite fast for others. I'm all for having "plenty" of time, so I would suggest what I *think* would be a timer that would give games a reasonable amount of time:

5 min/turn
action bonus 10 (15?)
10 min cap.

Thus if nothing is going on, turns are averaging 5 min/turn, and if there is lots of attacking it might be more like 6-7 minutes. Long, but perhaps not unreasonable for tourny conditions? This way, even a slow game with orcs vs drakes inolving lots of units (thinking about the northerner player here) *should* have plenty of time. The only problems that I could forsee with such a timer would be that some players feel it's too long, or a very low number of games that should be considered flukes under any timer system (UD corpse spam sillyness under odd conditions or something).
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
IB

Post by IB »

Doc said this tournament would have a 15 minute turn time limit.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

untortunatly, I don't think that's possible with the current settings. 5 minutes is the most that can be given per turn without at action bonus. ANd the action bonus does not automatically mean that you will have time next turn. So to have enough time, some combination of action and turn settings are needed I think. And a high cap.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

i would join if the timer is very low, wich i think is unlikely, just wanted you to know i would like to see a very low timer and the reason i won't join is that the timer will be likely high, with 2 minutes turn in average or less would be fine with me, in fact i left the ladder because the timer was too high for my taste.
IB

Post by IB »

I don't know how open noy would be to the idea, but you could have 2 tournaments, a speednoth and a notimernoth.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I am one of the "slow" players. And I felt really uncomfertable playing "fast" (2min turn etc), which makes me focusing more on trying to reach all units then where to place them. (I was nothern.) On the other hand, I'm not likley the slowest player either, and I am in the comfort zone as Wintermute, 4-5 min. turn + bonus perhaps. So on your suggestion IB we would have to launch 3 tournaments. One speed, one midspeed and one paganspeed(sorry pagan). =)
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Fosprey wrote:i would join if the timer is very low, wich i think is unlikely, just wanted you to know i would like to see a very low timer and the reason i won't join is that the timer will be likely high, with 2 minutes turn in average or less would be fine with me, in fact i left the ladder because the timer was too high for my taste.
If you really enjoy such short games, it is no wonder that you are unhappy with the role RNG plays in Wesnoth. If all you are doing is moving and clicking, then it seems the role of RNG is quite magnified. I enjoy speed chess a lot. I am pretty good at it. But it is not tournament chess. They are two different games. If you would like to start a speed tourny that might be fun too (heck, I'd play), but it is not really Wesnoth - at the level that has been established by prior tournaments.
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

i move and click, but i definitly can think in the middle, i also play RTS games, and while they requiere too much physical skill to my liking, is undeniable that thinking is part of the game.
oesis

Post by oesis »

I would like to join
my nickname is oesis
GMT -5
Mica

Post by Mica »

Oesis is pretty fun to play against. :)

Right now I won't join, but I'm definitely a maybe. :lol2:
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Zlodzei

Post by Zlodzei »

Gallifax wrote:Pagans comment reminded me of something important. To prevent people sittings out games there should be a timer.

Would be sad to see another champion who plays 45 min turns to bore his opponent to death.

Relying on good sport of players is one thing, relying on timer is safer.
Timer is fine. 45 min turn is rather a myth.
I can see you!...
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

I'm thinking a 4 to 4:30 default timer, unless the players can agree to more or less.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Noy wrote:I'm thinking a 4 to 4:30 default timer, unless the players can agree to more or less.
Depending on what maps you have in mind, that would make people like me pick a faction. I'd rather not play as northerners vs. drakes on fallenstar with a 4 minute timer, for example.
booner

Post by booner »

5 minute timer is fine by me. More is fine too if that becomes the consensus.
mrmoose

Post by mrmoose »

i agree with wintermute. if im playing a toc game i would rather not feel rushed with a low timer. im a slow player as well and would prefer to not be forced to rush my turns in order to finish within the time limit. 10 min cap is more then reasonable. just my opinion :)