[Complete] Tournament of Champions 4

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Noy
Inactive Developer

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by Noy »

Here is the Brackets. I changed it so that you play across from you. If you wish to start organizing matches with your opponent and playing them, you may do so.

American Bracket

Boomer------------------- Grrr
Kalis ------------------ Becephalaus
Xiaoming----------------- Oesis
Wintermute --------------- Wy 29
Yogi -------------------- Eskon
Hexcannon --------------- Baufo

Eurasian Bracket.

Pagan ------------------- Synerror
Duthlet ------------------The chosen one
Suokko -------------------Nani
Light Dragon -------------- Pietro
Paris --------------------- Plk
Svek--------------------- Swift
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Eskon

Post by Eskon »

With the anti-spam rule you stated, I could win against a UD opponent if he has six units, two being WC, by killing one of his non-WC units. You probably should tie this to recruits instead, i. e. no recruiting WCs if it'd make your WC total more than one third of all your units or two, whichever is higher (so players can at least get two even if their troop numbers have dwindled hard). If the player happens to get higher than 1/3 WC quota because his enemy chooses to kill his other units instead, he shouldn't be punished for it. If he were, people wouldn't be able to use WCs properly at all for fear of surpassing their WC quota during the course of the match.
DarkenShroud

Post by DarkenShroud »

:shock: *looks up the person who he faces 1st round (know thy enemy), and doubts he will make it to the 2nd*

I sent a Pm Baufo, just let me know when yr available.

:lol2: *sees defeat stare him boldly in the face, yet still readies his troops for war*

:wink:
Hexannon
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Umm, is there some kind official rule set yet (e.g whether to use the timer, etc.) and if yes, where do I find it? :P
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
MDG

Post by MDG »

The thread just below this one.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

timer settings:
Noy wrote:Okay I've taken some time to think out some more details. First off is the contentious timer setting. I've had a bit of a discussion and this is what I propose. 5 minute starting time, 3:30 renewal, 10 second action bonus, and a 8 minute reservoir. I think that avoids the problem of players sitting on turns doing nothing, yet gives time for people when they do make an action filled turn.
Note that this translates into 300 seconds initially, 210 s per turn, 10 s action bonus, and 480 reservoir. OR: both players can agree on whatever alternate settings that they like. But absent mutual agreement, use the above settings.

EDIT: also, given the past interest in watching ToC games, it may be a good idea to post what time you will play your games after you arrange them with your opponent (in this thread, NOT the results thread), so that A) people can watch, B) those people who want to watch may turn into witnesses if a player doesn't show.

Also: Even if you don't want to or don't plan to post your replays, it is a VERY GOOD IDEA to save them, or an autosave of the game until after everything is over - "just in case".
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

I don't see why or how can WCs become a problem. The multiplicative ability of the WC is a good addition to Undeads, and it complements their other units (especially against other Undeads, w/ impact)

Why put a cap on players' strategy? After all, WC spam is a type of strategy too, which is quite useful against Northerners (to make up for the extra numbers that Orcs can field).

Of course, I am no veteran, but just my 5 cents on the issue.
Last edited by TheChosenOne on October 15th, 2008, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

TheChosenOne wrote:I might have missed the thread(s) about this rule altogether. What are the technical rules of the game? Just so I know where not to step :)
You mean: 70% xp, default era, use map settings (for the reccomended gpv value), fog on?
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

I meant the anti-spam WC rule. I found it though. Are there any other rules concerning playing strategies apart from the WC one?
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

muahaha, wc-spam rule.
btw, is "village-stealing" also forbidden ? :D

seriously, i never knew there is an issue with wc-spam, and if there is one, why isnt it fixed in wesnoth ?
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

What do you mean by wc spam?
Check out my sprites!
Eskon

Post by Eskon »

Well, building lots of Walking Corpses. I've not seen an explanation yet whether it really is a balance issue in that it is a strategy that will give Undead a consistent and unfair advantage over other factions. The issue might be that Walking Corpses in great masses used right, since they cost no income, are too cost-efficient compared to what other factions can field.

Generally I'd say if it is counterable then it shouldn't be banned. Even if we come to the conclusion it should be, we should keep the impact on Undead as a whole as minimal as possible, since they have Walking Corpses for a reason other than spamming them for their cost-effectiveness (they are, after all, the Undead's strongest impact damage unit).

Could someone with a lot more Wesnoth Fu than I can muster (you won't see me again after the first round!) explain exactly why Walking Corpse Spam is so strong, whether viable counters exist, and whether it really has come to the point when it should be banned?

Maybe the expertise of this wise man shall help us decide: http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/intermediates ... be-banned/
MDG

Post by MDG »

TheChosenOne wrote:I don't see why or how can WCs become a problem. The multiplicative ability of the WC is a good addition to Undeads, and it complements their other units (especially against other Undeads, w/ impact)

Why put a cap on players' strategy? After all, WC spam is a type of strategy too, which is quite useful against Northerners (to make up for the extra numbers that Orcs can field).
Mabuse wrote:muahaha, wc-spam rule. btw, is "village-stealing" also forbidden ? :D seriously, i never knew there is an issue with wc-spam, and if there is one, why isnt it fixed in wesnoth ?
Try reading the other thread :annoyed:
Noy wrote:I am also considering one additional rule: Anti-Spam. It is clear that Walking Corpse spam is a problem in some matches on stable version. I've been working on a fix for this in the Development version, but its not ready. Therefore I am presently considering disalowing more than 1/3rd of your units as UD being WC. We can discuss this in the discussion thread.
Eskon

Post by Eskon »

Noy wrote:I am also considering one additional rule: Anti-Spam. It is clear that Walking Corpse spam is a problem in some matches on stable version. I've been working on a fix for this in the Development version, but its not ready. Therefore I am presently considering disalowing more than 1/3rd of your units as UD being WC. We can discuss this in the discussion thread.
I fully respect the expertise of the developers! A description of the WC problem and why it is clear to exist by someone with more knowledge than myself would be nice though.
oesis

Post by oesis »

I do not know how to contact Xiaoming for the match. Is his forumn name xiaomin. Also I'm unsure about the specifics of the spam rule, does it only apply to WC's and if so why not goblin spearmen. Lastly is this being played on 1.4.5 or 1.5.5.