[Complete] Tournament of Champions 4

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Post Reply
User avatar
TheChosenOne
Posts: 216
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 8:26 am
Location: Royal Palace, Weldyn St. 01, Wesnoth 123 456

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by TheChosenOne »

Noy wrote: For the length of time for round I think for the three game rounds a week is ample. That requires you to play two matches on a saturday and sunday, and maybe a 3rd game sometime over the week. Not too difficult... I don't think.

Also I will create a results thread that will be where you report your wins, and nothing else.
Indeed, it would be no problem for most of you, being adults, naturally you are independent. However, for some of us who are still under parental guidance, such as me, it may not be feasible to play 3 matches a week, considering that an average match lasts for 3-4 hours (with timer).

So what I propose is, let there be two rounds per week (minimum), preferably during Friday and Saturday night (or even Sunday, it does not really matter). Players can continue to the next round if the opponent has won the round on the other side.
This ensures that a buffer is created in case anyone could not play the entire three rounds per week.
Of course, you might want to create a rule stating that if one of the competitors does not play any tournament for the week without reason whatsoever (the only exception is a message in the forum) then he/she would be disqualified.

Oh, and as for the race and maps, will it be pre-determined by the organiser, chosen by the two sides before the start, or a compulsory random?
I would also like to know the rough date of when this Tournament will take place, as I also have to fit it into my already busy schedule.
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation

User avatar
Wintermute
Inactive Developer
Posts: 840
Joined: March 23rd, 2006, 10:28 pm
Location: On IRC as "happygrue" at: #wesnoth-mp

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by Wintermute »

I feel comfortable saying that there will be no predetermined race matchups. Each player will pick random, or a faction for each game, and that will be that. Personally, I'm fine with players picking their race depending on what the other guy does, but it could lead to craziness with players flip-flopping back and forth. Two possible ways to reslove that: the "player 1" in the matchup picks first, and player 2 picks second. Or if flip-flopping occurs players should just play random factions. I'm not sure it's worth the time to officailize the policy on this issue, but it would be a shame to have a disputed game as a result of something this basic.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."

Noy
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1321
Joined: March 13th, 2005, 3:59 pm

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by Noy »

Chosen.

We've played four ToCs now, and to be perfectly frank, two weeks is too long at the start. We had similar problems with the 2v2 ToC, where long rounds decreased the enthusiasm of players. One week works fairly well for most people. Try to sort it out with your opponent, if you can't, well there isn't much I can say.

As for the faction selection question, this isn't really a problem in most games, it shouldn't be here. I'm actually kinda surprised people saying this, because it rarely if ever comes up in ladder or other similarly competitive games. With the exception of some unique circumstances, (like what Winter was describing with a timer) random is the most advantageous choice.

Anyway, unless there are any objections, I will start the tournament this friday. I'll have a bracket done in the next couple of days.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.

User avatar
TheChosenOne
Posts: 216
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 8:26 am
Location: Royal Palace, Weldyn St. 01, Wesnoth 123 456

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by TheChosenOne »

I am not quite familiar with the ToC format.
When you say 'best 2 out of 3', does that mean you play 3 matches vs the same opponent, and the one who wins twice wins (just like in tennis)?

As for the real match itself, can you just start with your opponent, or do you have to wait for a referee to join in? (Or someone like that)

Once again, thanks for the help from everyone :)
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation

mrmoose
Posts: 61
Joined: September 18th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by mrmoose »

[quote="TheChosenOne"]I am not quite familiar with the ToC format.
When you say 'best 2 out of 3', does that mean you play 3 matches vs the same opponent, and the one who wins twice wins (just like in tennis)?

as per ur question on this it works just as it does for sports meaning u have 3 games total to win 2 games granted that doesnt mean u have to play 3 games if u win ur first two matches no reason for a third game seeing as ur opponent will not get *best 2 out of 3* hope this helps:)

svek
Posts: 33
Joined: April 13th, 2008, 5:36 pm

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by svek »

mrmoose wrote:
TheChosenOne wrote:I am not quite familiar with the ToC format.
When you say 'best 2 out of 3', does that mean you play 3 matches vs the same opponent, and the one who wins twice wins (just like in tennis)?
as per ur question on this it works just as it does for sports meaning u have 3 games total to win 2 games granted that doesnt mean u have to play 3 games if u win ur first two matches no reason for a third game seeing as ur opponent will not get *best 2 out of 3* hope this helps:)
Or with less words: Yes.

And for the other question:
I see no reason to wait for a judge - I hope we're all mature enough to handle this on our own. A thread will be created for the purpose of reporting wins, and I suspect replays are supposed to be included with the reports. That should be enough proof that the game was played, if there's a dispute. Any game labeled as a TOC game will probably draw a few observers, so there will be some possible witnesses if there's some conflict.

(not that these are official answers or anything...)

User avatar
TheChosenOne
Posts: 216
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 8:26 am
Location: Royal Palace, Weldyn St. 01, Wesnoth 123 456

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by TheChosenOne »

Thanks for the replies...can't wait already :)
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation

User avatar
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer
Posts: 1973
Joined: February 21st, 2005, 9:37 pm
Location: Kazakh
Contact:

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by Doc Paterson »

Though I've handed this TOC off and have no authority, I'll make two recommendations: :)

1. Use the most recent updates of the 1v1 maps. The easiest way to get all of them now is to download them directly from the add-on server.

2. Have a diverse lineup of maps for the various rounds. (I've always run things in such a way so that most of the defaults make an appearance at some point or other.....It keeps things fresh and interesting, and forces players who play all of their games on Weldyn Channel :P to show a little strategic flexibility.)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme

booner
Posts: 22
Joined: September 5th, 2008, 3:53 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by booner »

Doc Paterson wrote: .....It keeps things fresh and interesting, and forces players who play all of their games on Weldyn Channel :P to show a little strategic flexibility.)
You talkin to me? :roll:

Swift
Posts: 51
Joined: August 29th, 2008, 11:55 am
Location: Norway

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by Swift »

Svek, it seems that you and I are listed to play. So if that's settled, I will now formally retreat from the ToC tournament!

j/k - I could'nt get a better person to play against! So I'm formally looking forward to play hopefully 3 games against you! ; )

xxx

User avatar
leocrotta
Posts: 69
Joined: August 10th, 2007, 10:37 pm
Location: down the dungeon

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by leocrotta »

Noy: In case you forgot my time-zone, it's GMT+1.
I hope I will have time to play, lately I'm more busy during the weekends,
but there might still be enough room, will see.
Doc Paterson wrote:and forces players who play all of their games on Weldyn Channel :P to show a little strategic flexibility.
An elegant way of camouflaging the fact that you're too lazy to put effort in modifying that intractable piece of a map :wink:

User avatar
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer
Posts: 1973
Joined: February 21st, 2005, 9:37 pm
Location: Kazakh
Contact:

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by Doc Paterson »

leocrotta wrote:Noy: In case you forgot my time-zone, it's GMT+1.
I hope I will have time to play, lately I'm more busy during the weekends,
but there might still be enough room, will see.
Doc Paterson wrote:and forces players who play all of their games on Weldyn Channel :P to show a little strategic flexibility.
An elegant way of camouflaging the fact that you're too lazy to put effort in modifying that intractable piece of a map :wink:
Ha! I've been trying for years and years! We must be approaching revision 20 or so. I just don't have the heart to do what really needs to be done there, which is completely do away with this whole "huge dividing piece of water in the middle" theme. :P The other issues are for the most part small, and I continue to peck away at those.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme

Blarumyrran
Art Contributor
Posts: 1700
Joined: December 7th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by Blarumyrran »

Less than "years and years" ago it had _less_ "huge dividing piece of water in the middle" ;)

User avatar
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer
Posts: 1973
Joined: February 21st, 2005, 9:37 pm
Location: Kazakh
Contact:

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by Doc Paterson »

Syntax_Error wrote:Less than "years and years" ago it had _less_ "huge dividing piece of water in the middle" ;)
No, actually, the original Blitz had significantly more water than this current version. You're probably thinking of one of the Mid-Era versions where I briefly tried connecting the fronts with a diagonal bridge. That was a whole lot worse, and was done away with.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme

Dauntless
TGT Champion
Posts: 191
Joined: October 14th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Re: Tournament of Champions 4

Post by Dauntless »

Hi guys, im probably coming late, but if there still is a free place in the upcoming ToC or somebody falls out id be really glad to attend.

Post Reply