[Complete] Tournament of Champions 2v2 Results and Information

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

This has lasted too long . Some of the players participating in this tournament have lost interest in the game and nothing has happened in the last month and a half . I am not happy to do this, but after talking to some of the remaining players I think the only thing left to do is to proclaim the tournament dead, destickify this thread and let it sink into oblivion. If someone disagrees, fell free to post here.
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
IB

Post by IB »

Well that was a slow and painful death. I wish I could have ended it sooner, but seeing Noy retained all the final decision making I didn't have the power to do so. It was funny when jb said I dropped the ball by lacking leadership when I was never really incharge. It just seems Wesnoth isn't designed for 2v2 tournaments.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

IB wrote:Well that was a slow and painful death. I wish I could have ended it sooner, but seeing Noy retained all the final decision making I didn't have the power to do so. It was funny when jb said I dropped the ball by lacking leadership when I was never really incharge. It just seems Wesnoth isn't designed for 2v2 tournaments.
Yes IB, its all my fault. That despite the fact you were supposed to be the organizer of this whole thing, you're the one who so desperately wanted to get it off the ground. Initially, we were happy to leave you to it, we were just unsure of your committment and knowledge of the game, so we decided to retain ultimate authority on all decisions. Thats not surprising, but overall we did very little to impede you. Then somewhere before round three started, you disappeared. I did step in on a limited basis, offering the round three maps, but that wasn't my intention (myth had to push me to do it). Then when it wasn't going well, you reappear and say "let this tournament die" all of a sudden...

And now you're blaming me for bad leadership.

I wasn't supposed to be the leader, but maybe I should have stepped in and took a more active role when you left. Yeah thats my fault, but I wasn't really looking for more responsibility at that point in time. I did offer to do take it over, but it was given to yogin to revive it. Then he couldn't fulfill his duties (for personal reasons), so it was left once again in this torpor.

Really, its my fault IB, blame me for it, I hope it makes you feel better.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
IB

Post by IB »

Yes, I disappeared in the middle of round 3, which lasted for 6 months. My idea to use sudden death was rejected and seeing I had no power to enforce anything there wasn't anything I could do. No one came up with any alternative to wait, so wait is what I did. Nothing happened and I said let it die and left. If you had given me full control I would have used sudden death and the tournament would have ended alot sooner and with a better outcome.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

IB wrote:Yes, I disappeared in the middle of round 3, which lasted for 6 months. My idea to use sudden death was rejected and seeing I had no power to enforce anything there wasn't anything I could do. No one came up with any alternative to wait, so wait is what I did. Nothing happened and I said let it die and left. If you had given me full control I would have used sudden death and the tournament would have ended alot sooner and with a better outcome.
Thats kinda funny, because as of today, this is the first time I've ever heard of a sudden death proposal. And there's nothing in this thread, my PM history, or the IRC logs for the MP channel. So... umm, yeah I don't know what to say.

And we never really rejected anything you did. I remember suggesting some changes to the brackets, maps, but thats it (this is borne out by our PM history). You were supposed to lead this thing, we gave you ample slack. I can't see how we were "overbearing" by any stretch of the imagination.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
IB

Post by IB »

Noy wrote:Thats kinda funny, because as of today, this is the first time I've ever heard of a sudden death proposal. And there's nothing in this thread
Really?

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=58
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Funny enough, Myth just pointed that out, because I never saw it. Notice I never responded to it, which kinda blows the hole out of your whole line of reasoning that I was actively undermining you. The ONLY things I ever changed was which maps, and their ordering, as well as some tinkering with the brackets, hardly what you're claiming here. Jb also isn't someone who is oblivious to things, he was there, he knows what happened. And I don't think he thinks we were being heavy handed in the least.

I'm not blameless in this scenario, if anything I should have taken charge at a certain point and I didn't. But I resent the accusation that I was undermining this whole thing because I didn't let you do anything. Thats a gross exaggeration, if not a bald face lie that is not borne out by the facts.

Don Hewitt.
IB

Post by IB »

I never said you were undermining me, I said no one liked the idea, yet suggested no alternative, leaving the tournament in limbo with nothing I could do.
Haibane

Post by Haibane »

Oh well :roll:
It's not really helpful nor nice to blame anyone for failure, let's just end it and keep dignity. My thanks to all who did their best and I hope in better attempt in future.

Btw I don't think that it's one person's fault and I'm sure it's not Noy's fault (thought it's just an exception, all other problems are Noy's faults and I will never forgive him this evil hot week!).
If it's all a dream, now wake me up. If it's all real, just kill me.
Nordmann

Post by Nordmann »

Well seems this tournament did not run well, - so we must have a responsible person for this? Well thx to everyone who tried to keep it running. Now learn about the faults who were made and try to improve it for the next 2vs2 tournament. Thats the only thing that counts. Sadly Sombra and me could not finish the half finals. PHD and zero1 are somewhere lost in Siberia and Denmark, still real life took me in charge as well. So thanks anyway for the attempt and lets finish this in a civilized way, there is no honour to gain here anymore.

Nordmann
Well up north it should be cold...
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Nordmann wrote:Well seems this tournament did not run well, - so we must have a responsible person for this?

Now learn about the faults who were made and try to improve it for the next 2vs2 tournament. Thats the only thing that counts.
I've had some rough but possibly interesting thoughts about a framework that would allow a 2v2 tourney to finish, but certainly the framework would have to be there from the start, and wouldn't be able to save this one from death.

I have a feeling that it would work. If people are feeling optimistic, I could try to lay out a plan to begin in about a month or two.

And don't worry- I think the rules would be agreeable to most players, would effectively keep things from bogging down, and wouldn't strike people as being overly strict.

Like I said, if there is interest to give it another go, I'll do what I can.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Just to end this on a positive note - I don't myself don't blame anyone for this thing dying out. Rather, I thank everyone, Noy, IB, and everyone else who helped organize this. Even though there was no deffinate conclusion to the whole thing, I had a lot of fun in the games I did play.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"