Afrikaans translation - 2019 - Volunteers needed

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

casperl

Afrikaans translation - 2019 - Volunteers needed

Post by casperl »

Goeiedag aspirant Afrikaanse vertalers,

Though I have been using Linux for decades, I only started playing Wesnoth this week. The Afrikaans translation needs work, a lot of work. Their seems to have been some activity dating back many years. It is a daunting task, but I will tackle it the way you eat an elephant, in small bites. Any other Afrikaans translators, please contact me - those listed in the Wesnoth documentation seems to have moved on from the existing contact details.

I will continue the rest of this in Afrikaans, since there are certain words and phrases to be discussed. Each time I have something specific, I will reply to this message instead of creating a new forum topic.

Dankie,

Casper
RolfDhew

Re: Afrikaans translation - 2019 - Volunteers needed

Post by RolfDhew »

Hi!
It's great to hear that you're working on the afrikaans translation! I would of gladly helped, but unfortunately Afrikaans is my second language and it might complicate things. There should be some afrikaners here.
casperl

Post by casperl »

I have updated some files. In case the number 13 bus to Benoni runs over me, I have created a GitHub repo purely for the purpose of updating the latest translations work I have done. ( https://github.com/casperl/wesnoth-af )

I have emailed Friedel Wolff, the coordinator of the Afrikaans translation project and awaiting a reply.

Thx
casperl

Post by casperl »

RolfDhew wrote: January 19th, 2019, 2:18 pm It's great to hear that you're working on the afrikaans translation! I would of gladly helped, but unfortunately Afrikaans is my second language and it might complicate things. There should be some afrikaners here.
Great! There is a lot of work, but I think most of the initial work entails checking what is currently done and establishing a set of standard names for entities and so on. I have added a hundred of so items over the weekend, but it is a drop in the bucket compared to the 17,000 total.

And once I have done that, I want to investigate new scenarios etc. This game is SCREAMING out for African themed scenarios such as Voortrekkers and other tribes or African Animals vs African Spirits. But I am getting ahead of myself and will first do what is important now.
casperl

Post by casperl »

I will periodically update here that I have updated the wesnoth-af GitHub repo ( https://github.com/casperl/wesnoth-af ) - Until I have located Friedel, if others want to help, they can peruse that wesnoth-af Github repo and even do the clone/pull request to merge with the work I am doing. But this is only temporary until Friedel contact me.

Thx
casperl

Post by casperl »

The translation is progressing. We have a team of two now and are pushing to get as much done before the 1.14 code freeze late February.

Even if Afrikaans is your second language, you can still help by simply proofreading and offering suggestions.

https://github.com/casperl/wesnoth-af
RolfDhew

Post by RolfDhew »

casperl wrote: January 25th, 2019, 10:28 am The translation is progressing. We have a team of two now and are pushing to get as much done before the 1.14 code freeze late February.

Even if Afrikaans is your second language, you can still help by simply proofreading and offering suggestions.

https://github.com/casperl/wesnoth-af
Sure!