Translation for campaign (No request for help!)

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tedder

Translation for campaign (No request for help!)

Post by Tedder »

Hi guys! I have been working on an own campaign for about 2 months now.

Few days ago, I started worrying about translations. I have the resources to offer the campaign in english, spanish, german and even turkish with its first release (will probably take 3 more months, more or less).

I researched and googled and .................. smashed my screen. Whatever.

Finally, I made it working by generating my own .pot file. I tryed to generate it with POEDIT and other tools and stuff, but nothing worked properly. They had issues with the coding style of WML translation strings.

Could anyone expose to me how to create my .pot file (with all strings that need to be translated) in a nicer way?

Currently I am using an PHP cli script that generates my .pot file out of all defined directories and files. It works properly, I already tested translating test strings english > german and it works without any issues. But I am not sure whether this is the best way to provide my own .pot file.

If you want to take a look at my .pot file generating script, just ask for it. I can post the GitHub repo for my campaign (which is in early development).
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: Translation for campaign (No request for help!)

Post by octalot »

The tool is called wmlxgettext, and it's documented at http://wmlxgettext-unoff.readthedocs.io ... usage.html

After the last time this came up (the only way to find the docs is to know the name of the tool), I added some docs to GettextForWesnothDevelopers#Marking_up_strings_in_WML, but re-reading it, there wasn't much about the tool.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46366&p=617750
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=48246&p=629700
Tedder

Post by Tedder »

Thank you @octalot!
Argesilao

Post by Argesilao »

I'm using the 1.14.3 version for windows.

When I try to use wmlxgettext from the GUI file in the data/tools directory appear this error message:
(null): can't open file 'C:\Users\argesilao\Games\Battle for Wesnoth 1.14.3\utils\wmlxgettext': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

in the past I solved the problem creating of myself a utils directory and copying the wmlxgettext file (taken in an older version) into it, but I think it would be better if the operation was carried out by the BfW installation program.