English proofreading + French version for campaigns

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Burgundian

English proofreading + French version for campaigns

Post by Burgundian »

Hi, I'm a professional translator and a player of Wesnoth. I recently downloaded extra campaigns and sometimes the English dialogs show the person who created them is not a native speaker, which may hinder understanding of those dialogs by natives themselves, and even more by those who don't master the language.
That's why I offer my proofreading services in English, as well as translation in French, which is my other language.
Ideally, it would be a paid service (eh, I gotta make a living ^^), my prices are € 0.03 per word for proofreading and € 0.06 for translation.

If you're interested, PM me or reply here :-)
Thank you !

————
Or maybe I could do it for free and I'd let users tip me on dedicated sites ?
tekelili

Re: English proofreading + French version for campaigns

Post by tekelili »

Do you realize what are you doing? You are asking people that created game you are playing by free, paying you for give some effort to a comunitary project. So... they should pay in order to work for free and give you a game?
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

It would certainly be great to have a proofreader on board for the source strings, but as tekelili said, this is an all volunteer project. Funds and donations mostly go towards server costs, and none of the developers get paid ;)
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Agreed, this is a FREE game. No content is to be paid or to be bought. That's the best thing here :)
World's best Ale!
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

It's funny how everyone reacts with outrage about the idea of paying someone to do work for a free game. Do they not realize how many people have already been paid to do work on Wesnoth? Mainly the art.

I'm not sure whether or not it would be worth hiring this person to proofread or translate things, but it's not wholly out of the question just because he's asking for money.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

I am one of those who commissioned some art for an add-on. I don't think it devalues the contributions of volunteers - the work is still accepted / rejected / critiqued / improved on its own merits, and it becomes part of this Free Software/Open Source project.
I could put some coin toward a small proofing/translation project. Now we just need a campaign author or maintainer to come forward with a request. I would be surprised if the idea of a development/art task "market" hasnt been floated already, and maybe a place for it exists in one of the forums.
M. Burgundian might want to post links to their previous work or do a scenario for free so people can check the quality.
One issue with proofing/translations paid by the word is that number of words changes each time the campaign is fixed/improved, and there seems to be an incentive to add superfluous words. Perhaps use a fixed estimate based on initial dialogue count?
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Industry standard is to pay translations by source word count and proofreading by the hour.

-- no useful answer has been made since 2018 but the topic attracts a lot of spambots, so I'm locking this thread. - WhiteWolf