New logo translations: Speakers of ALL languages needed!

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Re: New logo translations: Speakers of ALL languages needed!

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

That's exactly the kind of input I was hoping for! Designing something in a totally foreign script is difficult, because I don't know how thigs look in native eyes. A very similar visual style might have a quite different connotations in different cultures. Trying to look for something 'medieval' is tricky too, for example the medieval cyrillic style (church slavonic) is quite different from the blackletter style the latinf font uses. Instead of striving for authenticity, I'm just going use the same font for cyrillic, frankensteining the missing glyphs myself.

For the versions outside the latin-related scripts, I will mostly seek visual consistency: variable line width (as if drawn by flat tipped pen) and not looking too hand-written. If I can also get 'medieval' associations, thats a plus, but otherwise I will settle for neutral (tips for specific fonts are encouraged).

Can somebody translitterate from Devanagari into Modi, so I can try it on for size?

Anyway, some more versions:
Polish (pl):
Weslogo-text-pl.png
Portugese (pt, pt_BR):
Weslogo-text-pt.png
Slovak (sk):
Weslogo-text-sk.png
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Italian (it):
Weslogo-text-it.png
Slovenian (sl):
Weslogo-text-sl.png
Serbian in latin (sr@latin):
Weslogo-text-srlatin.png
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Turkish (tr):
Weslogo-text-tr.png
Vietnamese (vi):
Weslogo-text-vi.png
Simplified Chinese (zn_CN):
Weslogo-text-zncn.png
Traditional Chinese (zn_TW):
Weslogo-text-zntw.png
Also a Chinese in different font (brushstroke style versus earlier straight-line style). Any opinions?
Weslogo-text-zncn2.png
The rest will take while, because of the missing glyphs.
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
pe_em

Post by pe_em »

Weslogo-text-pl.png
Weslogo-text-pl.png (54.24 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
Thanks for making this logo! The translation is correct. My two cents: I'd like to suggest that it may look better if the letter "o" is placed in the middle of image (in front of sceptre of fire).
Last edited by pe_em on August 7th, 2015, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Yes, the 'o' would look better as the centrepiece than space, but then I would have to do rather unpleasant things to 'Wesnoth' to make it balance well with 'Bitwa'. I'm not doing such extensive modifications with the translated versions as I did with the English one, what I can do with kerning will have to do and some of them will end up looking better than others. Thanks for you input anyway.
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The Slovak one is correct.
Xara

Post by Xara »

The Chinese logos are correct. I personally like the second version of the simplified Chinese logo, and it would be nicer if the characters can be as big as the ones in the old logos.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Yes, there is room for enlargement and this way the line width comes closer to the latin ones. Can you be more specific about your preference, what do the fonts bring in mind?
Weslogo-text-zn.png
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Xara

Post by Xara »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:Yes, there is room for enlargement and this way the line width comes closer to the latin ones. Can you be more specific about your preference, what do the fonts bring in mind?
Weslogo-text-zn.png
Generally speaking, in China people care about calligraphy much. And the one I preferred looks more similar to elegant handwriting, while the other one is clearly machine-made. The upper one just looks good in a way the most people can enjoy.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Where is Spanish? Also, you might want to link to this in the translators mailing list too, since there is a number of translators (including our i18n coordinator, Ivanovic) who don’t check the forums very often or at all.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Ah, Spanish. I wanted to confirm the capitalisation of 'batalla' (battle). In all the other translations (where the concept of capitalisation applies) it's capitalised, but in Spanish it's not. Is there a specific reason?
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

When I made the logo, I was told to be consistent with the current localization of the window title (“The Battle for Wesnoth”) to Spanish (“La batalla por Wesnoth”). I personally don’t know whether one capitalization makes more sense over the other; we’d have to ask the current maintainer.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Gallaecio
Translator

Post by Gallaecio »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:Galician (gl):
The Galician image is actually not 100% OK. In Galician, titles of books, albums, movies and videogames only get the first word capitalized (plus words that must be capitalized for other reasons, such as proper nouns). That is, the right spelling would be “A batalla polo Noroeste”, not “A Batalla polo Noroeste”. Could you please change “Batalla” to “batalla”?

I realize that, following the current pattern of the logo, changing “Batalla” to “batalla” would make the logo look a bit unbalanced. I would be OK with that, actually. But if you do not like the result, you may want to experiment with the layout of the title in the logo. See for example what I did with the current localized logo to handle that “unbalance”.

PS: Now that I see that you were discussing this specific issue for the Spanish translation, I’ve just checked the Spanish Wikipedia (and the English Wikipedia), and the same applies to Spanish, the proper capitalization would be “batalla”.
noodlay

Post by noodlay »

Native Hungarian and translator here (thanks for the mail on translator mailing list :-) ).
Hungarian logo is correct, thank you.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

As starting the main text line with a small letter would look weird, I've decided to put the article on the same line. I think this works really well for Galician, as the text balances nicely and the single-letter article looked sort of sad and lonely on its own line anyway.

Galician (gl):
Weslogo-ga.png
Spanish (es):
Weslogo-es.png
kuin syntien tekijätkin.