New logo translations: Speakers of ALL languages needed!

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

michalkuc

Re: New logo translations: Speakers of ALL languages needed!

Post by michalkuc »

Actually in Arabic the initial definite article is directly connected to the word it precedes. So, using English as an example, it would be written: Thebattle for Wesnoth; thus it cannot be divided in similar fashion. That's also the reason for my proposition of الصراع على ويسنوت instead of المعركة من أجل ويسنوت, as it is simply shorter :)
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Would
الصراع
على
ويسنوت
look good?
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I think single line would work best, there are some pretty wide ones already. Anyone happen to know some nice 'old' (calligraphic) looking Arabic font with a free (GPL/Open Font) licence?
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I don't read Arabic, but I think this one might be nice:

http://www.amirifont.org/

More free fonts at:

http://old.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=Khotot
Iviernu27

Post by Iviernu27 »

In Asturian the name of the game is La batalla pol Noroeste
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

Hola Iviernu27, boas-vindas à equipe dos tradutores de BFW!
Embora não querendo cometer qualquer interferência indevida na sua tradução e liberdade como tradutor,
mas por que não La batalla pol Oestenor ? :D O reino está situado antes no ocidente que no Norte...
Ou – algo menos criativo – como na versão espanhola e portuguesa: o nome original é simplesmente mantida:
La batalla por Wesnoth, Batalha por Wesnoth
Sem ofensa, continue com o ótimo trabalho! ;)
Gallaecio
Translator

Post by Gallaecio »

Chewan wrote:Hola Iviernu27, boas-vindas à equipe dos tradutores de BFW!
Embora não querendo cometer qualquer interferência indevida na sua tradução e liberdade como tradutor,
mas por que não La batalla pol Oestenor ? :D O reino está situado antes no ocidente que no Norte...
Ou – algo menos criativo – como na versão espanhola e portuguesa: o nome original é simplesmente mantida:
La batalla por Wesnoth, Batalha por Wesnoth
Sem ofensa, continue com o ótimo trabalho! ;)
Maybe, as he translated the campaign that explains the etimology of "Wesnoth" (etymology that is not real in the Real World(tm), but is real in the world of the game), which is "people from the north and from the west", he decided that "Noroeste" would be a fitting translation, and obviously applied that translation to the game itself as well.

Just as I did with the Galician translation. :)

I wonder how you decided to handle the Portuguese translation of that campaign.
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

@Gallaecio: Maybe, as he translated...
The etymology is explained in "The Rise of Wesnoth".
The name "Wesnoth" was originally developed by the game's creator as a combination of syllables that he thought would sound good as a name for a fantasy land. When the project became larger and more elaborate, the developers created a fictional etymology for the name: The inhabitants of this land came from the West and North, giving Westnorth, which eventually evolved to Wesnoth. (Wikipedia)

So, Noroeste isn't wrong, the wording is up to the translator anyway. Oestenor (a figment of imagination, half in earnest, half in jest) may perhaps sound more like Wesnoth, and the reference to the Spanish or Portuguese translation was just meant as a hint (for a possible beginner) – not as a criticism, I made that clear.
I wonder how you decided to handle the Portuguese translation of that campaign.
The Portuguese translation of the game (mainline) has long since been completed and is masterly handled by maintainer trewe. I didn't decide anything. Or have I misunderstood your remark?
Gallaecio
Translator

Post by Gallaecio »

I did not meant you as a person, but as a team. Translating The Rise of Wesnoth while keeping Wesnoth as the name of the reign must not have been easy for a language that is not close to English. It is not without merit.
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

@Gallaecio: Translating The Rise of Wesnoth – keeping Wesnoth as the name of the reign must not have been easy
Well, the original name is kept throughout all campaigns... but I understand your point now and took a look at it:

In Brazilian Portuguese, lady Jessene explains that »Wesfolk vem da língua ancestral e significa povo do Oeste, que os elfos chamam de povo do Noroeste (they don't, but call it indeed people of the west-north), na mesma língua ancestral, isso seria Wes Noth« and Haldric then declares himself »Rei de Wesnoth« ... Players in Portugal, for example, get to know a different story:
The people of lady Jessene are known as »Zéfiro, que significa na língua antiga povo brando do oeste«! The elves call them (not quite correct) povo do noroeste, too, but then she follows a logic utterly out of line: »na língua antiga, isto seria Galerno, o povo brado do noroeste« and Haldric becomes »o rei dos Galernos«. :P
AFAIK, Zéfiro means east wind, Galerno is a strong breeze from the northwest … Makes sense, considering that the letter W doesn't occur in any native Portuguese or Spanish word (only quite recently part of the alphabet, used for foreign loanwords), a Haldric of early times and, let's say, Iberian origin wouldn't have called himself Rei de Wesnoth, but rather Rei do Noroeste or - why not? - Rei de Oestenor or Rey de Oestenot. Imagination knows no bounds, but I guess, Batalha por Galerno would be going too far... :D
Gallaecio
Translator

Post by Gallaecio »

I kind of like "Galerno" :D
Iviernu27

Post by Iviernu27 »

Hola Chewan,

Gracies pola acoyida y les suxerencies; it hadn't occured to me to use an adaptation like Oestenor, Oesnor or Oesnorte, but it gave me a good laugh when I read it :lol:

In starting the translation, I took a look at how other romance languages adapted the title and noticed that in Portuguese and Spanish the English name had been maintained, while in Galego it had not. It was at that point, as Gallaecio suggested, that I decided to look into the story line and chose to use "Noroeste", because it fit the given etymology for Wesnoth, and did it in a way that was both intuitive and matched how I adapted the nomenclature and toponyms for the humans.
Dugucloud

Post by Dugucloud »

Hi, Sgt. Groovy. I am a translator of Simplified Chinese and I made the localized logo for versions 1.8 - 1.12. I became inactive since about 7 years ago and since then nobody maintains image localization.

I am glad to hear that your newly made logo is using in 1.14. It is quite different from the styles we made in previous versions: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/ImageLocalization
I think we could make further improvements on Chinese logos, especially the fonts. Unlike 7 years ago, nowadays some big Chinese font companies could allow non-commercial license, and open source fonts seems like increased a bit.

Would you please tell us how to make those images? And could you please post the GIMP files?
Mi povas paroli Esperanton.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Agt. Groovy already added a localized version of the logo text in Chinese (both simplified and traditional). Is there something wrong with it?

As for font, all logo text is rendered in Oldania ADF Regular using these instructions.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Dugucloud

Post by Dugucloud »

vultraz wrote: May 5th, 2018, 2:55 am Agt. Groovy already added a localized version of the logo text in Chinese (both simplified and traditional). Is there something wrong with it?

As for font, all logo text is rendered in Oldania ADF Regular using these instructions.
Thanks for the information. It really helped me. Those fonts provided in that path does not have CJK characters. He used another open source font for Chinese. I used that font for map localization in around 2010 and found that the font is not very suitable for the logo.

In the sense of Chinese calligraphy, I would rather find other fonts for the logo, or make a completely new design (if anyone in Chinese Wesnoth community could do it). So that is why I asked if we could make a new one.
Mi povas paroli Esperanton.