New logo translations: Speakers of ALL languages needed!

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gallaecio
Translator

Re: New logo translations: Speakers of ALL languages needed!

Post by Gallaecio »

Awesome, both of them!
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

Sgt. Groovy wrote: Portugese (pt, pt_BR):
Looks good.
Antro
Translator

Post by Antro »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:
Sgt. Groovy wrote:The translations of following languages are using the english name for the game, so they don't get their own translated logo either:
Italian (it)
If anyone knows a good reason why these languages should get a translated logo, please let me know.
Italian native speaker and translator here.
The translation of the title is "La Battaglia per Wesnoth", con "La" being the small article placed above the rest of the title.
As for why there isn't a translation, it's simple: the translation maintainer disagreed in translating the title, stating that most games title aren't translated in Italian, so the game's name is "The Battle for Wesnoth" and it should stay as such even in the translated version.
However, several users in the discussion (which happened in the Wesnoth Italian Forum) didn't mind having a translated title, and some even preferred that option.
However, the situation may change at any given moment, first because people can change their opinion, and second because if we add an in-game option to use the untranslated title the main issue will be solved.
So, can you please make an Italian localization of it?
And here... sorry for delay, some minor real life issues... I can confirm that the discussion on the translation of the name of the game periodically rise in the italian translation group, but, at the end of the day, we always agree that since all the most famous games in the world are never translated (at least in italian...) why we should use a different approach? Call fo Duty, Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Pacman, Defender, Galaga, Space Invaders, ...

However, to remain in topic, my 2 cents contribution:

In italian, the article at the beginning of a title can be removed; the usage of capitol letter in the middle of a sentence is different from english and the literal translation of "for" would imply a specific target, that is true for the main campaing, but not for the rest of the game... So, in italian we could use:
  • La battaglia per Wesnoth (literal translation, no capitol allowed in the middle of a sentence if not a proper name)
    Battaglia per Wesnoth (literal translation, no article to be less "specific", capitol allowed at the beginning of a sentence, my favourite, if someone can force me to translate the title ;) )
    La battaglia di Wesnoth (Slightly interpretation, literal translation of "The Battle of Wesnoth")
We could also discuss about translation of "Battle", and we made, while discussing if translate or not...: must be intended literal or could be somehow expanded ?
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Behold, the Cyrillics:

Bulgarian (bg):
Weslogo-bg.png
Macedonian (mk):
Weslogo-mk.png
Russian and Ukranian (ru, uk):
Weslogo-ru.png
Serbian (sr):
Weslogo-sr.png
I had to take some liberties in designing the new characters, so I would like to hear if any of the look weird to Cyrillic speakers.

Italian (it) modified (this works best visually):
Weslogo-it.png
I'll include the Italian logo in the file and let the translators decide what to do with it.
Antro wrote:We could also discuss about translation of "Battle", and we made, while discussing if translate or not...: must be intended literal or could be somehow expanded ?
If you mean using some other word for battle that "battaglia", I would suggest against it. "Battaglia" resembles "battle" both visually and orally and using it would make the Italian version of the name more similar to the original English one.

With Old English (ang) and Greek (el) still under construction, I only need translations for Arabic (ar), Friulian (fur_IT) and Romanian (ro).
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Old English (ang@latin):
Weslogo-ang.png
Last edited by Sgt. Groovy on August 27th, 2015, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Aand... the Greek. I hope my shameless frankensteining doesn't show too much.

Greek (el):
Weslogo-el.png
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Old English in Runic (ang):
Weslogo-ang.png
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:Old English in Runic (ang):
The second rune of the the first word is wrong; you used ethel (ᛟ = 'œ') rather than ash (ᚫ = 'æ'). The second word, 'wig', should not be written with gar (ᚸ = 'ḡ') (EDIT: actually, you used the "front" "doubled" form of calc (ᛤ = 'k̄'), but I suppose you were aiming for gar) but rather gyfu (ᚷ = 'g') since the g in that word was most likely soft/palatal [j] (though, from Proto-Germanic *g rather than *j) rather than hard/velar [ɣ].

Though, in case you wish to know more, note that hard G need not be written with gar (in most systems, at least); gyfu is fine for both. In fact, gar does not exist in some fuþorcs, and I do not think it exists in any of the system I would consider using for the translation; if I remember correctly, gar is characteristic of northern systems (in those attested, at least), and I don't think we should use a northern system to represent the southern dialect we seek to use.

The style should be fine for a more inscription-like style since the runes look meticulously straight and angular.
Sgt. Groovy wrote:Old English (ang@latin):
The letters are correct and seem fine as is, but if you care more about what fits the language for its own time period rather than absolute consistency throughout the Latin-alphabet logos, an old insular style would fit it better than blackletter (I don't think blackletter was even around during the days of Old English), with the characteristic lower-case Gs, dotted ys, dotless is, long S, and so on. Some fonts, such as Junicode, mix these older characteristics in with a more "modern" style if you declare a certain OpenType variable or whatever, if you need to or wish to avoid something that might look too exotic in comparison with the other Latin-alphabet logos.

What do you think?
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Thanks for the corrections, here's the updated runic version (in a modified font):
Weslogo-ang.png
Espreon wrote:The letters are correct and seem fine as is, but if you care more about what fits the language for its own time period...
This rationale would apply to more than this translation, and I would have to find a whole bunch of suitable (in style and licence) fonts. As the Oldania font isn't historically authentic to begin with (and WINH), I think it is better to use it across the latin-related logos to keep the unified style and recognition value.
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:Thanks for the corrections, here's the updated runic version (in a modified font)
You're welcome, but why did you change the font?

I didn't mean that it was bad that it looked more like an inscription; in fact, I'd rather have it be that way. As it is now, the runes look a bit too... puffy... maybe even plasticky.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The very narrow line width made it blend with the background (this would be even worse with the map background in the game). I'd like to try a font that looks more like handwritten than inscripted, but I haven't found a suitable one (suggestions are welcome).
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

For comparison, the same as the first one, but with thicker lines:
Attachments
Weslogo-ang.png
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Found another font for hebrew (Keter YG, below). Denser, but maybe looks 'older' (based on a 10th century script). Here compared with my earlier suggestion (David CLM, above):
Attachments
weslogo-he.png
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
michalkuc

Post by michalkuc »

Hi guys, as for Arabic language, I'd personally simply not translate the name and keep the English version.

However, if you insist, I'd suggest:

الصراع على ويسنوت

Literally it should be translated as:

المعركة من أجل ويسنوت

For me though, it just doesn't sound good. Not like a game title at all. My proposition means something like "The struggle for Wesnoth" / "The conflict over Wesnoth", so the meaning stays very similar, as "battle for", in opposition to "battle of" means a more prolonged fight, if I'm right.

Cheers
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Is there a logical way to divide it in two lines? The general principle has been to put only the initial article (if one exists) on the upper line, but I'm not sure how that applies to arabic.
kuin syntien tekijätkin.