What is wrong with Wescamp?

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TreefeedXavier

What is wrong with Wescamp?

Post by TreefeedXavier »

For several days (almost a month) UMC are not updated in wescamp - I know it, as the author of one of them updated version of a month ago, and I still can not get the .po of this campaign on wesnoth.org/gettext (and even github. com/wescamp). I also worried about the fate of my translations sent to AI - he does not reply to any letter (if the procedure for addding UMC changed, specify where to read about it). I really want to help make Wesnoth better and more accessible for various categories of players, but this situation negates all desire.
Russian translation of UMC`s for you, including: A_Rough_Life, Ooze-Mini, The White Troll, Inky's Quest & many others. If you find any translation errors in UMC - contact me.
Dugi

Re: What is wrong with Wescamp?

Post by Dugi »

As far as I know, nothing is updated there since summer 2014 (or maybe earlier). If you want to get a .po, make it yourself.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Dugi wrote:If you want to get a .po, make it yourself.
How, exactly?
I'm aware of a tool called WesPo and made by Nobun - it's unofficial, but it should work fine. ;)
I'm also aware of the fact that in mainline we use a Perl script called wmlxgettext, but I never found any documentation about how to run it... :hmm: I'm aware as well of a Python variant of it, but it was disabled because its output was incompatible with the Perl version.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

How, exactly?
I don't know, but I know that Chewan could do it.
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

AI wrote a comment on how to use utils/wmlxgettext.

The following derivative might be more generalized for Linux (and Mac?). :) (AtS for example; assuming pwd is the top directory of the addon)

Code: Select all

% find . -iname "*.cfg" -or -iname "*.lua" | xargs /somewhere/wesnoth-version/utils/wmlxgettext --directory . --domain wesnoth-After_the_Storm > wesnoth-After_the_Storm.pot
We shouldn't forget .lua files because they can contain translatable strings, and note that most wesnoth binary packages (ex. Debian) contain data/tools/wmlxgettext (Python) but NOT utils/wmlxgettext (Perl). You can get Perl one from source package or directly from GitHub.

(This AtS example met a minor error on _ANIM_TYPE macro of units/undead/Chaos_Cardinal_Fused.cfg:105, though...)
Discord: @tamanegi
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
A Group in a War: my first campaign, An Independence War: and the sequel
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

There's some kind of instructions here also:
Wescamp.py_Instructions
TreefeedXavier

Post by TreefeedXavier »

Dugi wrote:If you want to get a .po, make it yourself.
But still remains problem with add localized .po to campaign. Or autor can do it?
Last edited by TreefeedXavier on February 19th, 2015, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russian translation of UMC`s for you, including: A_Rough_Life, Ooze-Mini, The White Troll, Inky's Quest & many others. If you find any translation errors in UMC - contact me.
TreefeedXavier

Post by TreefeedXavier »

nothing is updated there since summer 2014 (or maybe earlier).
Man disappeared half a year ago and nobody care?
TreefeedXavier

Post by TreefeedXavier »

I think full instruction "How live without WesCamp & add UMC translations to game" for translators/maintainers must be composed by community, and added to Wiki (or
whatsoever).
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

I think that what has happened is that AI just doesn't have as much time as he used to, I don't think he is "gone" (my info is quite old though.)

I guess there is quite some frustration from UMC translators, I got PM'd like 6 months ago by someone with similar concerns.

I think most likely what should happen is that someone should volunteer to be WesCamp helper / maintainer. I don't know entirely what is involved. I would suggest that interested persons should inquire on IRC in #wesnoth-dev.

If maintaining the existing WesCamp requires extensive permissions to be granted to the entire project and there are no developers that volunteer, then perhaps someone should be promoted? or indeed a parallel WesCamp should be launched, although intuitively we should try hard to avoid this... :hmm:

There might be a better solution, I'm just throwing it out there.
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

TreefeedXavier wrote:full instruction
Well, to get a .pot file, all you need is the command tamanegi posted (you have to change the domain, of course).

To create a new .po file for e.g. German from it, you use

msginit --no-translator --input=wesnoth-After_the_Storm.pot --output-file=de.po --locale=de
To update an existing .po file after changes to the campaign, you recreate the .pot file and use

msgmerge --backup=control --previous -U de.po wesnoth-After_the_Storm.pot
You get the actual translations files Wesnoth uses (mo files) with

msgfmt de.po --output-file=translations/de/LC_MESSAGES/wesnoth-After_the_Storm.mo
That's all I needed (well, I wrote a script to do it for me).

Edit: Oh, if you're interested in my script for Windows, it's here: https://github.com/aquileia/Anabasis/bl ... /po/po.cmd
However, the language list is hardcoded right now, you have to append whatever you need.
You run it with

po.cmd wesnoth-After_the_Storm
Edit2: Fixed a path by removing the leading slash - yeah, I'm way too ill to work on anything today...
TreefeedXavier

Post by TreefeedXavier »

aquileia wrote:
To create a new .po file for e.g. German from it, you use

msginit --no-translator --input=wesnoth-After_the_Storm.pot --output-file=de.po --locale=de
To update an existing .po file after changes to the campaign, you recreate the .pot file and use

msgmerge --backup=control --previous -U de.po wesnoth-After_the_Storm.pot
You get the actual translations files Wesnoth uses (mo files) with

msgfmt de.po --output-file=translations/de/LC_MESSAGES/wesnoth-After_the_Storm.mo
POedit copes with it all: updating from pot\creation of new .po\and make .mo

Was hard to receive pot from source: 1. I can`t find userdata folder in my wesnoth, so I take add-on from add-ons.wesnoth.org directly;
2. wmlxgettext write to me "access denied" as far I not tick box on file preferences "allow execute" (but I use Thrunar, so maybe it not helpful for everyone);

Now only one problem remains: How to know, which UMC need to translate & nobody not translate it right now or translated already - for it WesCamp was useful source of statistic.
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

@ TreefeedXavier
Now only one problem remains: How to know, which UMC need to translate...
… and to whom the translation should be send as long as nobody volunteers to be WesCamp helper/maintainer. ;)
TreefeedXavier

Post by TreefeedXavier »

Chewan wrote:@ TreefeedXavier
Now only one problem remains: How to know, which UMC need to translate...
… and to whom the translation should be send as long as nobody volunteers to be WesCamp helper/maintainer. ;)
Maybe to author\maintainer of campaign?
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

There's a gettext area on this site.

I don't know how the procedures are supposed to work. I once sent a pm to whom I thought was in charge and never heard back. I've just pm'ed the Forum Moderators if they could link to a description...
I have a cunning plan.