What is wrong with Wescamp?

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TreefeedXavier

Re: What is wrong with Wescamp?

Post by TreefeedXavier »

nuorc wrote:There's a gettext area on this site.
I think it mirror of Git repo - if git not updated, site version also stuck.
Russian translation of UMC`s for you, including: A_Rough_Life, Ooze-Mini, The White Troll, Inky's Quest & many others. If you find any translation errors in UMC - contact me.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

How about hosting them on https://www.transifex.com?

There is good integration available to synchronize translations with source code repositories. It is a commercial site, but it is free to use for FOSS projects.
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

@ TreefeedXavier
Maybe (send translation) to author\maintainer of campaign?
Authors\maintainers of campaigns might know how to add a translation to their UMC, or not.
And there is some user made content worth translating without a maintainer at all.
Spoiler:
@ nuorc: There's a gettext area on this site.
@ TreefeedXavier:I think it mirror of Git repo - if git not updated, site version also stuck.
It's a different thing to get a campaign or translation in the Wesnoth Translation Stats.
I haven't figured out yet how this 'daily update' works, but the list is not up to date.
There are campaigns available on the BfW 1.12 server that do not show in the GetText list.
Others are listed, but not their latest version or translations.
It seems to me as if the catalog of unofficial packages is related to the abandoned wescamp.

@GunChleoc
How about hosting them...
Probably a good idea – it's just... some translators (including me) are not too familiar
with more complex processes to obtain a po-file or forward their translation.
Spoiler:
TreefeedXavier

Post by TreefeedXavier »

Chewan wrote: Authors\maintainers of campaigns might know how to add a translation to their UMC, or not.
It`s not only about knowledge - but possibility of doing it. I mean: Do author exactly can push translation to their UMC? If can - just give them detailed instruction; if not - we in trouble with bottleneck;
Chewan wrote: It seems to me as if the catalog of unofficial packages is related to the abandoned wescamp.
I mean same.
GunChleoc wrote:How about hosting them on https://www.transifex.com?
It is not trouble with exact method, it is more trouble with Human Resources. On transifex you can face same trouble: you must be member of team to translate, but if you not approved by anybody, you can`t start translating. I face that, then try to help with translation of Froggato game - still waiting for approve. So if translation on transifex will be abandoned like WesCamp - it be same trouble, like now.
We need men who do it, or method to do it by safeness way - with no possibility to broke campaign by vandals, but easy updating of add-on at any time, when we need push new translation.
Russian translation of UMC`s for you, including: A_Rough_Life, Ooze-Mini, The White Troll, Inky's Quest & many others. If you find any translation errors in UMC - contact me.
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

@ TreefeedXavier:
Do author exactly can push translation to their UMC?

They are 'allowed' to and some do so (I know two of them).
AFAIK, writers are even encouraged to take things into their own hands since wescamp doesn't work.
I don't know if there is an easy-to-find link to any instruction...
Spoiler:
Skipping wescamp is possible, BUT leads very likely to outdated Translation Stats.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

GunChleoc wrote:How about hosting them on https://www.transifex.com?
Do we need an external site for the translations?

@GunChleoc: As you are a translator, how are you doing it currently?
I have a cunning plan.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I haven't had time to do much UMC at all. I am alone and mostly still working on the Mainline content, which I send to Ivanovic.

Transifex projects can be set to allow anybody to translate, without needing to join the team first. So, the only work a maintainer would need to do here is to approve new languages. Once the language is set up, anybody can join in. Of course, this also carries the risk of vandalism etc.

We just moved to Transifex with Widelands and the code integration works like a charm. There would be some setup work involved to get it running (configuring the project and writing a script that will push and pull ranslation catalogs). Once everything is running, all the maintainer needs to do is to add new UMC to a config file, and regularly run the update script.

I don't have a lot of time at the moment, but if this is wanted by the community, I could eventually ask the Wesnoth devs for access.