A few questions about translations

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dugi

A few questions about translations

Post by Dugi »

I need answers for some questions regarding translations. I've discussed some affairs Chewan and we kinda didn't find the answer. I'll be thankful to the one who answers these questions.

1) Who is responsible for updating the po files with new updates of add-ons once posted to WesCamp? Chewan told me that nobody seemed to be doing it, and the result was that the translations were outdated and he could not update them himself. Who should be contacted?

2) If I post my campaign on WesCamp and I make some small changes afterwards concerning dialogues (changing the wording, not meaning), is there an automatic way to find the changes and update the translation files with them? Something like reading the diff of the campaign's versions and updating the files' original string part? I don't mean something like Find&Replace in many files, done manually for each change.

3) (less related) If a campaign is abandoned by its author and it's COPYING.txt says that dialogues and narration are copyright to blablabla, followed by the GPL license (is it even allowed?), is it okay to slightly change it (correcting some erroneous [message]s), change code and upload it to the 1.12 server?

Thanks in advance.
James_The_Invisible

Re: A few questions about translations

Post by James_The_Invisible »

1) I know that at least AI is uploading po files for add-ons to WesCamp. Some other people might be doing it too. If you translated something, you may send via e-mail to that person(s) or post it in the forums and it will be soon uploaded.
2) Yes, po and pot files in WesCamp are updated once in a while via script but it seems that it requires a human being to run it.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

1) According to Chewan, it wasn't done by anybody and when a PM was sent to AI, he did nothing.

2) Sure that the script also updates original strings in translation files if the original strings in the campaign are changed a little bit?
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

1) Did you forget about this thread? All translations posted here were uploaded to WesCamp. (Edit: well, maybe not all.) ... I have no idea why he did nothing about that pm ...
2) Well, I am not really following the process of translation of any umc so I cannot confirm it. I just noticed (several times) that pot file for my campaign was updated some time after I changed a few strings.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

1) They were uploaded, but it seems that they aren't updated. That campaign was last updated ages ago and the po file is still outdated.
2) That sounds good, let's hope that somebody more experienced in this will confirm it.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Whenever the .pot is updated, somebody needs to run gettext's msgmerge with all translations. For bigger projects and to save time, one would usually write a shell or python script to handle this automatically.

After the merge, translations that are similar to translations previously present (e.g. when a typo in a souce string was fixed) are resognized by msgmerge, but marked as fuzzy. Somebody then has to edit the po file and "unfuzzy" the string.

I have recently become a big fan of the Transifex platform, where you can integrate all this stuff and have it run automatically :)