How to translate the website?

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ventulus

How to translate the website?

Post by Ventulus »

Hi,I'am a member of Chinese translation team (wind).I am glad that the Chinese mainline translation is basic completed.
Now I want to translate the Website.like http://www.wesnoth.org/.
Because some Chinese friends do not understand English, and even some fear of English.They search Wesnoth, see the official website is in English, all in English.They think that the game does not contain the Chinese, then retreat.
Chinese translation maintainer cloudidust@gmail.com told me that the Webpage is actually a wiki.
Well,I have never edited wiki.What shall I do?
Ventulus

Re: How to translate the website?

Post by Ventulus »

aha.I cannot wait.Another person just came up to ask "which one shoud download".I told him the Windows one .Then he choose 1.11.1
alluton

Post by alluton »

http://www.wesnoth.cn/ Perhaps this will be any help.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Ventulus

Post by Ventulus »

alluton wrote:http://www.wesnoth.cn/ Perhaps this will be any help.
I mean,Do I need to register an account, waiting for the authorization, and then edit the wiki.Or I need to copy down the website text, translate, and then send an e-mail to someone?
Actually,Chinese people prefer QQ the IM to the forum or IRC.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

The main page is not a wiki. You can't just edit it.
However, the Play and Create sections, for example, are in the wiki (wiki.wesnoth.org). You could create new versions of those; say, Play/cn to match the translations of the [wiki]Create[/wiki] section.

To edit the main page, however (or to have a second version) would require an admin to modify the page; especially as there are no other translations of it yet. It's only English, and no other language has a translation there either. So, it would require quite a lot of work. If you can find someone doing this, great, but I just wanted to mention that it probably is not easy.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Ventulus

Post by Ventulus »

Crendgrim wrote:The main page is not a wiki. You can't just edit it.
However, the Play and Create sections, for example, are in the wiki (wiki.wesnoth.org). You could create new versions of those; say, Play/cn to match the translations of the [wiki]Create[/wiki] section.

To edit the main page, however (or to have a second version) would require an admin to modify the page; especially as there are no other translations of it yet. It's only English, and no other language has a translation there either. So, it would require quite a lot of work. If you can find someone doing this, great, but I just wanted to mention that it probably is not easy.
Ok,Starting from Play Create page is aslo very good.