Miscellaneous

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zerbugug
Translator

Miscellaneous

Post by Zerbugug »

Hello, hallo, ave, demat or whatever,
Sorry for calling my topic « miscellaneous » but I have several small questions and I didn't want to flood the forum.
I am currently reviewing the french translation of HttT.

First, to native english speakers : how do you understand the word "poor" in the following sentence :
The poor villagers that once lived here and traded with the dwarves are now held in slavery by the orcs.
Does it mean unfortunate (the poor guys) or just poor (not rich) ? In French the former is "pauvres villageois" and the latter would be "villageois pauvres" (subtle, isn't it ?) if this phrase didn't sound awful.

This one to everyone : how do you feel with such objectives as :
Move Konrad to the signpost in the northwest.
I don't like it because it's out of context : the game is speaking to the player. I'd like something more in the lines of "omniscient beings are having a talk", like :
Konrad must reach the signpost in the northwest.
I happen to have found the answers to my other questions alone while writing this.
I am the cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me. — R. Kipling
TheScribe

Re: Miscellaneous

Post by TheScribe »

how do you understand the word "poor" in the following sentence :
I could see it being both ways, though the first one is what I'd guess.

And for the objectives, I think the first one is better. I've seen it both ways though.

Hope this helps. :)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

About poor villagers, I would say that it means unfortunate in this case, so I would prefer 'pauvres villageois', if it was for me to choose. But French is not my mother's tongue, English neither, so I might be wrong.

And with the signpost, I also dislike the formulation that Konrad must get to the signpost.

I kinda agree with you guys.
Zerbugug
Translator

Post by Zerbugug »

Well, based on this representative sample of two people, including one native speaker, I'll go with "unfortunate".
"Pauvres villageois" sounds condescending so I'll replace it with "malheureux" (which means unfortunate), if anyone cares.

For the objective phrasing, that was just a personal thought, seems like it's actually very personal in the sense that I'm the only one having it. :D
I am the cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me. — R. Kipling