Inflection of names

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GunChleoc
Translator

Inflection of names

Post by GunChleoc »

How did those of you who speak languages where names change with the grammar deal with it?

For example, I'm trying to translate:

$name|’s Bridge

This creates a problem with male names.

Let's say, the Bridge is named after James. Then I've got Seumas in the name list, and the word for bridge is "drochaid", so I get Drochaid Seumas from the system. However, this is wrong. Seumas must be in the genitive case, so what I need is Drochaid S[color=#FF0000]h[/color]euma[color=#FF0000]i[/color]s.

If my character is female and e.g. called Mary = Màiri, no problem, Drochaid Màiri is correct.

Any ideas?
Max

Re: Inflection of names

Post by Max »

Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Sadly, the game does not have facilities for languages with complex noun declension systems and the like.

Fortunately, in this case, you can just put lists of complete constructs in the translation fields, like the Galician translation. Do note that the $name variable has nothing to do with any of the characters in a game; the $name variable’s value is randomly selected from a list defined on line 73 in data/core/macros/names.cfg.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Thanks, I know now what to do :)
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I have run into a similar problem in the tutorial. Source string:

... I hope my $unit.language_name survives its counter-attack! ...

Gaelic string:

Tha mi ’n dòchas gum mair [color=#FF0000]an $unit.language_name[/color] agam beò an aghaidh fhrith-ionnsaighe!

The unit names are:

Elvish Archer (m) - Boghadair Sìthiche
Elvish Fighter (m) - Cathaiche Sìthiche
Elvish Fighter (f) - Ban-chathaiche Shìthiche
Elvish Shaman (f) - Ban-seuman Shìthiche

Now what happnes depends on both gender and the first letter of the unit name:

Tha mi ’n dòchas gum mair a[color=#FF0000]m[/color] Boghadair Sìthiche agam beò an aghaidh fhrith-ionnsaighe!
Tha mi ’n dòchas gum mair a[color=#FF0000]n[/color] Cathaiche Sìthiche agam beò an aghaidh fhrith-ionnsaighe!
Tha mi ’n dòchas gum mair a[color=#FF0000]' Bh[/color]an-chathaiche Shìthiche agam beò an aghaidh fhrith-ionnsaighe!
Tha mi ’n dòchas gum mair a[color=#FF0000]' Bh[/color]an-seuman Shìthiche agam beò an aghaidh fhrith-ionnsaighe!

Is there a way to list this like I did with the place names?
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

GunChleoc wrote: Now what happnes depends on both gender and the first letter of the unit name:

Tha mi ’n dòchas gum mair a[color=#FF0000]m[/color] Boghadair Sìthiche agam beò an aghaidh fhrith-ionnsaighe!
Tha mi ’n dòchas gum mair a[color=#FF0000]n[/color] Cathaiche Sìthiche agam beò an aghaidh fhrith-ionnsaighe!
Tha mi ’n dòchas gum mair a[color=#FF0000]' Bh[/color]an-chathaiche Shìthiche agam beò an aghaidh fhrith-ionnsaighe!
Tha mi ’n dòchas gum mair a[color=#FF0000]' Bh[/color]an-seuman Shìthiche agam beò an aghaidh fhrith-ionnsaighe!

Is there a way to list this like I did with the place names?
Sadly, there’s no workaround for this. Either the two strings in question will have to be replaced with a set of strings that would cover every possibility or they would have to be rewritten to use pronouns and to refer to the defending unit as a person instead of a unit. I suppose I suppose I’ll look into this soon.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Thanks for letting me know. I found a workaround saying "your unit" and adding the unit name afterwards in parentheses. Not as pretty, but it works :D