Translating the Khalifate

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mountain_King
Translator

Translating the Khalifate

Post by Mountain_King »

What with the coming of 1.9.6, and the addition of the Khalifate to mainline, my translating self is wondering how to translate all of the very Arabic unit names into non-Semitic languages. :hmm: As I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering, I figured I'd start a thread here. For those of us unfamiliar with Arabic and the Khalifate faction, what do we need to know that will enable us to make the best translation (transliteration?) possible?

Best Regards,
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: Translating the Khalifate

Post by ancestral »

Mountain_King wrote: For those of us unfamiliar with Arabic and the Khalifate faction, what do we need to know that will enable us to make the best translation (transliteration?) possible?
The English translation just uses the Arabic names. Why not just use the Arabic names for other languages too?
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

We should keep the name as it is now. IMO, there's a reason behind those Arabic name, it gives the Khalifate faction a unique feel, not some loyalists with Arabic clothes. If we translate the Khaiyal into something like Horseman, Всадник, Reiter or Marcach..., or if we translate the Arif into something like Swordsman, Фехтовальщик or Espadachín ... we'll basically have the same Loyalist faction again, that would be too awkward I think.
R.I.P
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

hhyloc wrote:It gives the Khalifate faction a unique feel, not some loyalists with Arabic clothes.
I was kind of wondering the same thing, but I wanted to make sure before I started translating. That makes sense to me! :mrgreen:
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
mameluke

Post by mameluke »

I opened a thread about Khalifate naming and linked this thread there.
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=33893
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...
perseo

Post by perseo »

In my opinion (I'm spanish) I think in the kalifate like a folk very concerned about their honor and one important thing is using tons of courtesy formulas. That's more or less the image that in spain is of the medieval arabic folk.
Of course that are prototipic ideas that can offend some people so If you find offensive please tell me.
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
CloudiDust
Translator

Post by CloudiDust »

As a Simplified Chinese translator, I cannot leave the names as they are - Chinese is not based on Latin alphabet. To retain the uniqueness of the Khalifate, transliteration is required. However I have no knowledge of Arabic, thus no idea about how those unit names are pronounced. Would anyone please tell me something about this? Thanks in advance. :)
CloudiDust, the Simplified Chinese translation maintainer.