MP Code of Conduct translation

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mystic x the unknown

MP Code of Conduct translation

Post by mystic x the unknown »

Greetings.

This thread is meant to guide any kind souls who'd like to help with the internationalisation of our multiplayer Code of Conduct (CoC). To make sure they get it right.
It should be noted that this endeavour isn't technically a part of the project.

quoting from the CoC itself:
"Although Wesnoth is an open-source game and the multiplayer server is free to use for everyone, it doesn't mean we don't need rules. The following rules are here to give everyone a pleasant multiplayer experience. "

Now, the need for having this page translated should be pretty obvious, so let's get straight to the details:

CURRENT STATE:
complete:
German ... maintainer: Ceres
Italian ... maintainer: mich
Polish ... maintainer: vonBureck
Spanish ... maintainer: shadowmaster
Swedish ... maintainer: dacovale
Vietnamese: ... maintainer: hhyloc
in development:
Russian: GreenFlame

GENERAL NOTES:

If you are not, you should become familiar with Wesnoth multiplayer to an extent, to have a better idea of what you are writing about.

You could just send us the translated text or edit the wiki page yourself - which is likely to take a bit longer. If you choose the former, please send them in a private message to me

The CoC should be comprehensive while being as short as possible. Being understandable trumps brevity however, especially in the case of both serious and widespread offenses (offensive language, hateful/oppressive behaviour, using the lobby for chatting). Please pay special attention to these parts. Furthermore, please try to keep the tone friendly and non-threatening.

( Please discern between administrator/admin and moderator/mod if possible. Admins are people who make the server work and keep it that way. Moderators deal with the people. )

ASSOCIATED TASKS:

"This is not the real CoC" disclaimer
This bit is to be shown only in translations, to clarify that the English version is the definitive one. It should go roughly like this:

"This page is a translation of the English original. If you are uncertain about the meaning of something, please refer to the original Code of Conduct page or send a message using <this page>."

To be consistant across the language variatiants, please write it in italics, at the end of the "Language" section.
Please let's not make it sound as if the translated page was not official or in some other way inferior to the English original.

Maintaining the CoC
This is a separate job from translating the CoC.

It must be expected that there are going to be changes to the default CoC. Even if those don't touch the translated parts, once the number of language variations becomes high, the changes' originator cannot be expected to copy it over to all the translations. That's where the translation's maintainer comes in, watching the default CoC page for changes and applying them as needed.
The maintainer would also be the recipient of any messages sent using the link in the disclaimer above. (if there's no maintainer make it send a message to me)

Translating a portion of the Multiplayer tutorial
The CoC links to the section of mp tutorial about lobby (from the "In the Lobby" section) in a such a way that it can be considered a part of the CoC. The current version of the MP tutorial is too much of a work in progress and spending time translating it would be quite wasteful, so we only ask you to translate the above-mentioned lobby section.

It would also be a nice thing to add a language-change warning to the stand-alone links leading to english-only pages. (found in 'Getting Help','Useful Commands' and 'Further Reading' sections)
like it's done here.

COMMENTS ON SOME SPECIFIC PARTS OF THE PAGE:

Introduction
You don't need to follow the original too strictly here.

General
"spam" means sending unwanted messages, especially many messages in a short time.
In our case, unwanted messages would be anything that is bothering players and doesn't fall into any of the other categories listed or, if someone gets flooded by them ( having one's message become lost in someone else's lines ), any off-topic lines.

As An Observer
Please don't make it sound like observers aren't allowed to talk. They just shouldn't bother the players in any way.

In games

Code: Select all

"However that does not mean they're allowed to kick/ban players because they're losing or similar abusive acts."
If translated literally, this part could become too hazy. Please make it clear the host may not kick/ban players without having a good justification for doing that.(does not apply to observers)

--

That should be it for now. Thanks for your patience. :)

LAST EDIT : status update
Last edited by mystic x the unknown on May 21st, 2011, 6:03 pm, edited 11 times in total.
you are not gonna make it
VS
Translator

Re: MP Code of Conduct translation

Post by VS »

Will there be some formal mechanism to notify translators of major changes? (I'm not requesting it, just asking...)
mystic x the unknown

All maintainers would be sent a forum pm if there was an important change. Those should be extremely rare though. The minor changes won't be too frequent either, so no need to check the page a lot.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Hello.
I just wanted to say that I've started to translate the page into Vietnamese, I'll let you know once it's finished. :)
Last edited by hhyloc on April 9th, 2011, 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P
mystic x the unknown

Thanks for letting me know. And for doing the translation of course :)
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Sorry for the long wait, It's here.
And since I'm the only Vietnamese translator around, I think I'll take the job of a maintainer.
R.I.P
mystic x the unknown

hhyloc wrote:Sorry for the long wait, It's here.
And since I'm the only Vietnamese translator around, I think I'll take the job of a maintainer.
Absolutely no reason to apologize. Excellent work.
mich
Translator

Post by mich »

The italian version is ready. You can find it here.
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

I gave the translation into german a try: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/MP_CodeOfConduct/ge
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

I created the Template {{CodeOfConduct_Languages}} which has to be included in each translated CoC page. This way it's much easier to add new languages: You only have to edit this template instead of all existent pages. This template I included in all translations that exist until now.
Besides, I corrected some minor mistakes in Ceres' translation.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
mystic x the unknown

Crendgrim wrote:I created the Template {{CodeOfConduct_Languages}} which has to be included in each translated CoC page. This way it's much easier to add new languages: You only have to edit this template instead of all existent pages. This template I included in all translations that exist until now.
ah.. so obvious! well done. :)
dacovale

Post by dacovale »

I translated it into Swedish