The Hammer Of Thursagan Greek Translation

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

galicae
Translator

The Hammer Of Thursagan Greek Translation

Post by galicae »

So, after I learned that UtBS is up for major changes I'm dropping (or rather halting) that project, and moving on to The Hammer Of Thursagan. It figures to be not-so-easy, and that gets me pumped.

Anyways, first question: how would you translate "Dwarven Doors"? The Doors part is easy, but since no Dwarves appear in Greek mythology I have no good-sounding term to apply on the name. In any case, it just doesn't sound as imposing.
Ideas?
working on the greek translation
Crommy
Translator

Re: The Hammer Of Thursagan Greek Translation

Post by Crommy »

Hi,

I translated THoT in German, so I 'm aware of some issues you might stumble over. I assembled a list of hero descriptions at http://wiki.wesnoth.org/CharactersStorys (including THoT) that might be of help to have an impression of the characters from the very beginning. Feel free to add your translation philosophy there as well (so far it is - unfortunately - "German" comments only).

"Dwarven Door" is a multicultural City that appears as well in "Northern Rebirth", (THoT might be considered a sequel of NR) so the translation should be consistent with NR in many points (so you might want to put it down on the Greek wiki for the NR translator). In German, there was an existing nice translation - "Zwergenpforte" as "Pforte" is an old fashioned word for "door" (and "Zwerg" is "dwarf"). The reason of this name is, that the realms of the dwarfs are underground, but at this point the mines opens towards the "earth" and mankind is living there and they trade a lot.

So whatever that points to "connection", an entry into the underground (with a positive co-notation), something what is a kind of a "hinge" between cultures might work.

Hoping to be helpful,
Greetings Crommy
galicae
Translator

Post by galicae »

Jop, bin schon auf deiner Seite gestoßen.

I am well acquainted to both NR (at least first scenarios and background) and THoT (which I've played through), but nonetheless your page was really helpful. Problem is, german is so much more like english in these aspects, plus Northern Rebirth still hasn't a greek translation. I already considered referring to it, but no luck whatsoever :P . I'll come up with something, just need to dig a bit deeper into byzantine and ancient greek.

thanks for the help, and how do I add my translation philosophy there?
Crommy
Translator

Post by Crommy »

Well,
"philosophy" might be a too big word :). But if you feel or decide to give a character a certain "drift" (snobby, picking on somebody, loving another person) you may just add "In Greek: I assumed xyz because ... " to provide other translators with your idea/interpretation of this character.

Two examples where I added a "language specialty"
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/CharactersStorys#Angarthing
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/CharactersStorys#Gwabbo

(I always thought "Nano" is Greek for dwarfish - so I better assume your German being a lot better than my non-exiting Greek)
galicae
Translator

Post by galicae »

That was good, Nanos does actually mean dwarf, but not the mythical creature; in ancient greek it stands for "someone with short arms and legs" and in contemporary greek it is used for everything, from nanoseconds to Thorin Oakenshield. As I stated above, I will find a solution, just need to give it some thought.

Still, how do I edit that CharactersStory thing? I do try to change the brand of greek the characters speak in (to the point that the king may sound illiterate), though it is difficult. Maybe I'll edit Angarthing to sound a little more educated. I may have to delve into byzantine poetry for that, since it is the equivalent of middle-ages-stuff of my culture. This project keeps becoming more and more interesting!

good night, it's past midnight here :wink:

EDIT: Scenario 3: Aiglondur comments on Orcs fighting for the Alliance
I’m surprised myself that so many of the orcish tribes came over to the Alliance. Not so strange to see humans raiding us, worse luck.
anybody understand what that second sentence means?
Crommy
Translator

Post by Crommy »

I remember this one.

Dwarfs and humans are neither natural friends nor natural foes, it depends, but quite often they can go along quite well (see dwarfen door as a city). But sometimes, it does not work out good, like in this situation.

The plot is surprisingly, but logical - Orcs might be considered to be a "natural enemies" (if somebody accepts the concept of a "natural enemy" between intelligent people) to dwarfs and humans as well. Hence, its a strange situation, to fight humans while being allied with Orcs. This is logical, as some orcish tribes are part of the alliance (see end of NR), and some outlaws put themselves outside those rules of the society.

I think the speaker refers to this situation - with an "sigh" in mind.

BTW - I think this plot nicely breaks up the stereotype of good guy- bad guy (stereotypes are stereotypes because they are quite often true, but not always, and this is such an situation) - while keeping to the social background of the races.
Last edited by Crommy on March 19th, 2011, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galicae
Translator

Post by galicae »

thanks! That's a fuzzy string less in the translation^^

EDIT: So, I now stand before the "I am a witness" part as well. Anybody from the greek community care to help? Other languages? Crommy's translation was superb, he kept
both flavors of jurisprudence and religion
I can't use the rock ("Ich bin der Skalde - Ich bin der Fels."), and I need a catchphrase.

EDIT2: Just found out on the greek translation wiki page that there was someone already working on THoT. I'll try to contact him, but I'm being careless for the second time in a row, this means work may be again wasted...

EDIT3: still trying to contact the supposed translator of THoT. In the meantime I translated An Orcish Incursion. Maybe I can refine it a little bit, but it's ready. What do I do with it?
galicae
Translator

Post by galicae »

So, An Orcish Incursion is translated. I revised some parts of it, but it could still feel a little awkward at some points. What should I do with my .po file?
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

You'll want to send it to the Greek translation maintainer. If he thinks it's good, he'll send it on to Ivanovic or somebody and they'll commit it. Simple as that. :)
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
galicae
Translator

Post by galicae »

ok, will do that asap. I also found the THoT translator (happened to be a kid from school, how weird is that??), and he's swamped so I get to do it ^_^
galicae
Translator

Post by galicae »

ok, Hammer Of Thursagan greek translation finished! I suppose I should send it to the translation maintainer.... Now going to work on Liberty.