Under The Burning Suns Greek Translation

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

galicae
Translator

Under The Burning Suns Greek Translation

Post by galicae »

Hi everybody,
as far as I know there's no greek translation of UtBS yet. I'd like to try. Just posting to let you know.

and btw do I need to contact the author or something? Would it be appreciated or anything?

thanks a lot

galicae
working on the greek translation
Mountain_King
Translator

Re: Under The Burning Suns Greek Translation

Post by Mountain_King »

You'll want to contact the Greek Translation maintainer. This page should have most of the information you're looking for. It looks like no-one's working on the Greek translation for UtBS, so you could be in luck! :)
Also, when you need the .po file, you'll be able to get it from here.
Make sure you read the relevant wiki pages too, they can help quite a lot.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

I just want to add that the second link Mountain_King gave you points to the stat page of the development version, not the stable version ( version 1.8 ) and according to this, you should aware that some of your work might be wasted since the wesnoth-utbs textdomain is not ready yet and many chances are still planned.
Of course if you don't want to waste your work but still want to translate Under the Burning Suns campaign, you can instead work on the 1.8 branch textdomain, you can get the po file from here here.

Hope this help. :)
R.I.P
galicae
Translator

Post by galicae »

I already contacted the Greek Translation Maintainer, and got his blessing for the project ^^. As for utbs, well, since my version has 1932 strings I must conclude it was the developement version... A pity, though, I was getting really into it (was at 7% since starting yesterday). According to textdomain status not ready is really bad, so I'll leave it and do THoT instead for the time being.

thanks guys!! I'll let you know when I finish that one (it's really small though, only about 360 strings, so I should get it soon).

EDIT: forgot to ask: is it better to translate for the developement version or for the stable branch? I don't see any major changes coming to THoT, and I don't think it changed much since, like, ever.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

I'm inclined to say development version, as that one is for the next version. On th other hand... Depending on how it works, your work on one might carry over to the other. :hmm: I'm not sure. You'll need someone with more experience to say for certain.

@hhyloc: I didn't realize that page was still being updated :doh: I'll have to watch what I translate too, don't want to waste any work...
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
galicae
Translator

Post by galicae »

ok. Starting dev version now...

And starting a new thread since we're no longer on UtBS ground.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

There may yet be a more stable releases, but you shouldn't count on that. Work *may* be wasted when working on 1.9, but I still think that's the better option.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

galicae wrote:EDIT: forgot to ask: is it better to translate for the developement version or for the stable branch? I don't see any major changes coming to THoT, and I don't think it changed much since, like, ever.
In my opinion, working on the stable version at it's early stages (ex 1.8.0; 1.8.1; 1.8.2) is a better choice, you'll have a stable source text to work on and you don't have to worry about your work get wasted.
On the other hand, once the stable version went to it's final stages (ex 1.8.5 and possibly 1.8.6) and some textdomain of the development version are readied, working on development version is a better choice since your work will be more reasonable given that the 1.9 development version will become the 1.10 stable version in the future.
AI wrote:There may yet be a more stable releases, but you shouldn't count on that. Work *may* be wasted when working on 1.9, but I still think that's the better option.
Indeed, I no longer work on stable version quite sometime ago, I just have to wait and translate any readied textdomain in the 1.9 branch, so no work will be wasted. :P
R.I.P
galicae
Translator

Post by galicae »

thanks guys! Started working on the developement version. Thanks for the help!