Notice about unit descriptions

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sofronius

Notice about unit descriptions

Post by Sofronius »

Dear fellow translators (:)),
I would like to notice, that all unit abilities ("leadership", "skirmisher" , etc). should be explained in descriptions of units that have them.
And at the moment it's the ONLY place where user can get information about abilities.

See :
http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... highlight=

Unit descriptions should be translated with respect to this fact.
skovbaer

Post by skovbaer »

I think we should stick to not uncovering too much detailed information and numbers as Dave says...
- dk_skovbaer -
Sofronius

Post by Sofronius »

skovbaer wrote:I think we should stick to not uncovering too much detailed information and numbers as Dave says...
Yes, I agree with that. We should write just information that english users are able to get from english description.

But we should be aware that users will search for information about abilities in descriptions, so I had posted that notice :wink:
DragonLord

Post by DragonLord »

Maybe we should just have the unit abilities listed in the manual...
Fate is like an unpopular restaurant in which odd waiters come and give you things you didn't ask for and don't always like.
methinks

Post by methinks »

I do not see sense in covering all this information. Not to mention that such things as 'intelligent', 'resilient' or 'loyal' are not described even in unit's descriptions. I mean yeah, we can leave some mystery but not to this point. Not only users don't know which unit to choose when upgrading, but also they can be unsure about what they actually do when they already have them (before I've read about leadership I couldn't figure out what in fact is it affecting).
skovbaer

Post by skovbaer »

methinks wrote:I do not see sense in covering all this information. Not to mention that such things as 'intelligent', 'resilient' or 'loyal' are not described even in unit's descriptions. I mean yeah, we can leave some mystery but not to this point. Not only users don't know which unit to choose when upgrading, but also they can be unsure about what they actually do when they already have them (before I've read about leadership I couldn't figure out what in fact is it affecting).
But still, this would be one of the things that make the difference between an untrained player and a skilled player... A skilled player will have found out about all those things by himself... If an untrained player plays the game for a while he/she will also figure out which ability affects what and so on...
- dk_skovbaer -
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

methinks wrote:I do not see sense in covering all this information. Not to mention that such things as 'intelligent', 'resilient' or 'loyal' are not described even in unit's descriptions. I mean yeah, we can leave some mystery but not to this point. Not only users don't know which unit to choose when upgrading, but also they can be unsure about what they actually do when they already have them (before I've read about leadership I couldn't figure out what in fact is it affecting).
The traits ('intelligent', 'resilient', etc) are now displayed in the manual.

I am looking into ways to make unit abilities clearer.

David