Japanese translation help offer

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Skizzaltix

Japanese translation help offer

Post by Skizzaltix »

Hello all.

Just stopping by to say, if it's wanted, I'd be willing and happy to help out with the Japanese translation, if you think I could be helpful.
My specs are:
Vocabulary -- Okay (Not too important, I can always look stuff up).
Reading/writing -- Good. I know ~2000 characters (That is, I know the kun readings for all of them what has them, the on readings for about 80% of them, and then compounds with a lot of them).
Grammar -- Not great, but not terrible. I'm in the third semester of college Japanese, and we're just starting to get into stuff that I don't already know.
Fluency -- Good. I've been listening to the language since before I could read, so it's very rare that I'll make an error with conjugation or particles (Also, I can speak pretty fluently, too, but that's not the issue here ;)).
Anyway, I think translating long dialogues would probably be beyond me, but I could definitely do attack names and that sort of thing. I"m not sure who's in charge of this, but... Whoever you are, think I could come in handy?
Cololi

Re: Japanese translation help offer

Post by Cololi »

Hi, we really appreciate your kindly offer Skizzaltix. I'm kinda new to wesnoth, but AFAIK Japanese wesnoth communities have been very inactive and we cannot reach the person in charge of translation. He is a member here but not responsive to emails, or at least so I read somewhere. We have many incomplete works regarding translation. Some people, however, are working on them and new stuff and asking for help with proofing and so on.
As for attack names and that sort of things, works are done only for default factions.

We talk here.
http://schiphol.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/game/1209959624/

and put works on here
http://wikiwiki.jp/wesnoth/

Take a look and say hi when you heve time. No registration needed.
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Cololi wrote:Hi, we really appreciate your kindly offer Skizzaltix. I'm kinda new to wesnoth, but AFAIK Japanese wesnoth communities have been very inactive and we cannot reach the person in charge of translation. He is a member here but not responsive to emails, or at least so I read somewhere.
Best make sure he really is unreachable, his email address is listed on this page:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothTranslations

If he's really unreachable you can PM torangan.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Well, I just did some work on the .po file for An Orcish Incursion--Here it is. Should I email it to ivanovic?

Edit:
Ghmmmflblgrt. I just realized that I got a "takusan" mixed up with an "ooi". Also, I translated a couple more lines...
Anyway, I need sleep.
Attachments
ja.po
最も多い変えられた言葉はファジーだけど…。
(33.24 KiB) Downloaded 531 times
MeesterDaan

Post by MeesterDaan »

Hi all,

I incidentally play Wesnoth too to keep up my Japanese. I found some mistakes and am happy to proofread anything newly translated.

And I have a real problem installing new Japanese files (like Son of the Black Eye). Also couldn't get in touch with the Japanese language moderator. If anyone out there is taking initiative, count me in.

Daan
iwaim

Post by iwaim »

Hello Daan

I'm Japanese native speaker.

I think that Japanese language moderator for your project stoped translating. Another Japanese translators keep translating. However, they don't think to merge translated po-files. They are distributing translated po-files on their website. http://bit.ly/aUl8dn

Then, I began translating. I put po-files in the github's my repos. see http://github.com/iwaim/wesnoth-po/ .

If your project accept, I want to become new Japanese language moderator.

iwaim
IWAI, Masaharu a.k.a iwaim as the BfW Japanese maintainer/translator
MeesterDaan

Post by MeesterDaan »

That's great, Iwaim. Do you happen to know how I can add new ly translated po-files to my installation of Wesnoth?

Daan
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

MeesterDaan wrote:That's great, Iwaim. Do you happen to know how I can add new ly translated po-files to my installation of Wesnoth?

Daan
You would have to compile them into mo files first.

Out of curiosity, which OS do you use?
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Just a heads up — I previously expressed interest in helping with Japanese translating and I sent an email 6-9 months ago to the last person supposedly in charge and I most certainly did not get a reply.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
MeesterDaan

Post by MeesterDaan »

Ubuntu. But I don't dare to recompile Wesnoth. It has taken me a lot of work many times, and things do not always turn out right.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

MeesterDaan wrote:Ubuntu. But I don't dare to recompile Wesnoth. It has taken me a lot of work many times, and things do not always turn out right.
My advice is to download source and hop on IRC. #wesnoth-dev on irc.freenode.net. Many people run Ubuntu around here, so getting help compiling it shouldn't be that bad.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Same experience as ancestral, as I recall. I did a bunch of translations (got almost all of Orcish Incursion that wasn't already translated done, as well as some other stuff) right after starting this thread, but...somewhere along the line I lost the files and then got distracted and never heard back from any of the folks I contacted. Ah, well.
MeesterDaan

Post by MeesterDaan »

@Skizzaltix

I've taken a look at the PO-file you added earlier and have some comments. Most commonly, in adressing a lord, I think one says 閣下 instead of 君主.

I have made a wordfile with added comments for discussion, but I can't attach it here. If you can send me email at "bifurcatie" at the 'mail that isn't cold' I'll send you the word-file. It might also be good to ask Iwaim for comment, as he is native Japanese.

Another something we might do is turn it into a wiki-page, if you feel like it. Progress will be great.

Suspecting you are a gaijin, like me, I would like to compliment you on the heroic effort of making the first translation.

Daan
iwaim

Post by iwaim »

I was able to contact current Japanese traslation maintainer. I decided to consult with him, and to alternate mantainer. I send to wesnoth-i18n ML about this case.
iwaim

Post by iwaim »

@Dann
MeesterDaan wrote:I've taken a look at the PO-file you added earlier and have some comments. Most commonly, in adressing a lord, I think one says 閣下 instead of 君主.
That' s right. I feel admiration for your Japanese ability.
MeesterDaan wrote:I have made a wordfile with added comments for discussion, but I can't attach it here. If you can send me email at "bifurcatie" at the 'mail that isn't cold' I'll send you the word-file. It might also be good to ask Iwaim for comment, as he is native Japanese.

Another something we might do is turn it into a wiki-page, if you feel like it. Progress will be great.
I think we create new page in wiki.wesnoth.org.

Japanese translation project exists separately. I want to cooperate with them.
http://yy68.60.kg/wesplus/

I will negotiate with them.