Japanese translation help offer

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Simons Mith

Re: Japanese translation help offer

Post by Simons Mith »

Clearpotion wrote:Hi, everybody. Please give me a hand.

*Heir to the Throne

>>Sir, I should like to scout out the path ahead. It would be disaster for us to find these doors sealed, leaving us as hunting fodder for the gathering horde.

I partly understand. These sentences mean "I would like to see the path ahead, because if we notice the dwarven doors are sealed, we will get big damage."
And "horde" must refer to orcish army. But every "leave", "hunt" and "fodder" has several meanings. 
What does "leaving us as hunting fodder for the gathering horde" mean?
gathering horde: - the horde is growing in size, as more and more orcs continue to arrive.
hunting fodder: - in this case, 'easy prey', but it's not a particularly good metaphor in the original English.
leaving us: - in this case, 'we would become'

So... "if we only discover that the doors are sealed when we reach them, then we will become easy targets for the growing numbers of orcs.'

'leaving with' is quite hard to explain. If an event leaves you with something, then as a result of the event occurring you end up with something you didn't have before, including something possibly quite abstract. Examples: 'Let me leave you with this present'; 'the collapse of Megabucks bank left me penniless'.
*Legend of Wesmere

>>But I will not compel anyone else to come with me, not at peril of being overwhelmed from within by evil magic.

I can't translate well. Please fill in the blank below.

But I will not compel anyone else to come with me. (___) not at peril of being overwhelmed from within by evil magic.
I would suggest, "But I will not compel anyone else to come with me, because they could be in danger of being overwhelmed from within by evil magic. So, perhaps also cut and replace 'not at peril of'. Again, the English phrasing not so good.
>>Sundered from his kin by their mortality, fleeing the reflections in their eyes of his lost beloved, he left his home and wandered for many a year across the Great Continent.

Is "for many a year" proper English? How long is it? And how often?
Yes, but it's a poetic form. It just means 'For many years' / 'For a long time' without being specific.

Clearpotion

Post by Clearpotion »

Thank you, Simons Mith. I understand very well.
And more questions...

*Heir to the Throne

>>These are not proper ships, but shallow-draft boats built only recently; much of their timber is green.

Does "not proper ships" mean "flimsy ships?"
What does "shallow-draft" mean? "Ships in the shallow" or "looks almost float?"
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Clearpotion wrote: *Heir to the Throne

>>These are not proper ships, but shallow-draft boats built only recently; much of their timber is green.

Does "not proper ships" mean "flimsy ships?"
What does "shallow-draft" mean? "Ships in the shallow" or "looks almost float?"
For translation, the important distinction is that 'proper ships' are fully seaworthy, whereas these boats are not.

'Ships' are any of the many types of vessel that can safely go to sea. But most of these craft have problems in shallow water.

'Shallow-draft boats' are boats mostly intended for use in shallow water. They are often flat-bottomed. Canal-boats and barges are good examples. But flat-bottomed boats have problems in rough water, so they rarely go to sea. In this case we have some newly-built shallow-draft boats used in a way they are not suited to. Boats made of green timber will tend to be leaky, too, so clearly there's some kind of emergency.

Read as 'These are not seaworthy vessels, they are only shallow-draft boats, and they were built recently from unseasoned wood.'

Clearpotion

Post by Clearpotion »

I see. In short, they are quick made ships. Thank you for your thoughtfull explanation, Simons Mith.