Dutch translation

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Roel

Dutch translation

Post by Roel »

I don't know who made the dutch translation but it is not done and it has several errors in it, I can't play wesnoth in dutch because it is to irritating. I recommended wesnoth to a friend and after he played it in dutch he started to correct the translation file. I will post it when it is done.

no offence
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Good. I don't use the dutch version, but I'd be happy to re-check it.
Onne

please help with the translation :)

Post by Onne »

The dutch translation is now actively being worked upon. Anyone who feels like helping just let me know. I would say the translation is for over 50% done now... but that leaves a lot open still. If you want to help just post in this thread (preferably including your email address) and i can send you a piece of the .cfg which needs to be translated still.

Also... please do try out the .cfg version and play in dutch... let me know whether there are any major mistakes in the translation or important parts lacking. Please do not edit directly into the .cfg but post any suggestions here.. it's better not to end up with many different half finished configs.

thanks and cheers!
Onne

And what about the original title of the game?

Post by Onne »

Any suggestions welcome for a good dutch translation of "The Battle for Wesnoth".
Already mentioned candidates:
Strijd om Wesnoth
Gevecht om Wesnoth
De Strijd om Wesnoth
Het Gevecht om Wesnoth

more suggestions?
Frank

Re: And what about the original title of the game?

Post by Frank »

Onne wrote:Any suggestions welcome for a good dutch translation of "The Battle for Wesnoth".
Already mentioned candidates:
Strijd om Wesnoth
Gevecht om Wesnoth
De Strijd om Wesnoth
Het Gevecht om Wesnoth

more suggestions?
Slag om Wesnoth ?
Roel

Post by Roel »

I made the translation of the international site (it has some little errors in it but I'll fix those next week) and I believe I used both "Gevecht om Wesnoth" and "Het gevecht om Wesnoth" whatever fitted best, just like using "Battle for Wesnoth" and "The Battle for Wesnoth". I wouldn't use "Slag om Wesnoth" because that would mean 1 battle instead of a war. I know it is battle for wesnoth and not War over Wesnoth but in dutch the meanings of the two words differ more than in english.
Onne

De Strijd om Wesnoth

Post by Onne »

Right now the in game translation of "The Battle for Wesnoth" is "De Strijd om Wesnoth".
I chose "strijd" above "gevecht" because "gevecht" seems so short to me.. and might involve just two persons (lijf aan lijf gevecht). This is just my personal opinion, feel free to disagree.
I've had complaints that "De Strijd om Wesnoth" sounds lame. Would "Strijd om Wesnoth" be any better? I would translate the "the" because of consistency's sake.

One more thing... i have the impression that most dutch translations sound somehow "lame" compared to the english one. Is Dutch really such a lame language or are we simply not used to using it in this context?
Roel

Post by Roel »

"Strijd om Wesnoth" or "De strijd om Wesnoth" can be used whatever fits best in the sentence, please note that in "De strijd om Wesnoth", "strijd" is written with a lowercase "s", so it might look better dropping the "De" and use "Strijd om Wesnoth" just because of the cappital letter in "Strijd". In dutch most translations of movie-titles, books etc the word "the" is'nt translated anyway so I'd say use "Strijd om Wesnoth".

We sure aren't used to dutch being used in a mideaval fantasy setting but with some creativity it should be doable, just exagerate a little (= a lot ) and it should sound over the top but it will fit better in the game.
Onne

De Strijd om Wesnoth

Post by Onne »

Hmm... De strijd om Wesnoth... ik heb dan toch liever De Strijd om Wesnoth ;) in dit geval met hoofdletter omdat het een noemenswaardige historische gebeurtenis is (zoals de Tweede Wereldoorlog)
Roel

Post by Roel »

Gebruik dan "Strijd om Wesnoth" in titels enzo en in tekst de strijd om Wesnoth. Het maakt mij niet veel uit maar als er een doos zou komen voor het spel dan zou er ook Strijd om Wesnoth opstaan en in de handleiding heeft men het dan over de strijd om Wesnoth.
Condor

Post by Condor »

Strijd om Wesnoth is de beste van de serie, gebruik die titel maar.
Onne

Strijd om Wesnoth zal het zijn..

Post by Onne »

Ok! In de volgende versie van de vertaling zal Strijd om Wesnoth staan waar het kan.