Any interest in a Latin Translation?

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The Killing Nun

Any interest in a Latin Translation?

Post by The Killing Nun »

If anyone is interested, I can make translations of mainline games into Latin. I don't know how many people would be able to read it, but I think it might add a certain aesthetic quality.

Michelle Blohm
Sr. Bigfoot the Killing Nun
aelius

Post by aelius »

Cum certe non multi sint qui linguam Latinam legant, tamen nonnulli!

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

As far as I know there was already a Latin translation. If it is not still there anymore it was probably removed due to a lack of maintenance.

PS:
aelius wrote:Cum certe non multi sint qui linguam Latinam legant, tamen nonnulli!
Cool, I understood this without using a dictionary or anything (I'm learning Latin in the second year so I have the right to be proud because of that :P )!
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
aelius

Post by aelius »

Well done. The real two questions are what type of "cum" clause is that sentence, and why is sint subjunctive?

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
The Killing Nun

aelius wrote:Cum certe non multi sint qui linguam Latinam legant, tamen nonnulli!

- b.
sint is subjunctive because it gives the cum clause either a circumstantial (when.....that is, under the circumstances that), causal (since or because), or concessive/adversative (although) meaning.
Since legant is from legere, it's also subj., I'd render that as a relative clause of characteristic. Because I'm not sure that the relative clause picks up the subj. from the cum clause, I'd have to check.

Although many are not ceratain who is of the sort who reads the Latin language, nevertheless a few (or some).

I think I'll work on translating this summer it even if only just for practice and also for the entertainment of those who can read (even if a little) latin. It also shouldn't be too much of a trouble for those who don't know latin but familiar with the campaigns in their own language, since they would already know what it says.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Re: Any interest in a Latin Translation?

Post by ivanovic »

The Killing Nun wrote:If anyone is interested, I can make translations of mainline games into Latin. I don't know how many people would be able to read it, but I think it might add a certain aesthetic quality.
Of course we are interested in getting help with the Latin translation. Currently the translation seems stalled and the maintainer inactive. Just have a look at the wiki to find his email addy, maybe you can reach him via mail: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/LatinTranslation
For general infos about translations, have a look at this page: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothTranslationsHowTo
You can get the po files needed to work on the latin translation over here:
http://pulsar.unizar.es/~isaac/wesnoth- ... ion=branch
The Killing Nun

a latin translation

thank you
elricz

Post by elricz »

And if you want to see how the units looks like with the current translation, you can check them at http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Eroadie/wesnoth_ ... index.html
mpolo

Post by mpolo »

I'm still (more or less) around, but I haven't done anything on the Latin translation in some time, partly because doing it alone is extremely daunting, to say the least. The existing translation could use a lot of polishing (and cleaning up fuzzies), and there are a lot of mainline campaigns without translation...
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

It would be great to have a new latin translation!
I once used to have my Wesnoth turned to latin, in order to train my skills in that language (playing Wesnoth with a latin dictionnary nearby wasn't that much fun, though, so I turned it back to a language I speak soon... but nervertheless, it's a good thing to have latin).
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

When I tried switching to Latin on SVN a week ago, I recall large chunks being in English. I would love a Latin Wesnoth and may be able to help with it.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Re:

Post by Aethaeryn »

Aethaeryn wrote:When I tried switching to Latin on SVN a week ago, I recall large chunks being in English. I would love a Latin Wesnoth and may be able to help with it.
This still applies. Looking at the status of the translation I am not sure that anything has been done with the Latin translation since this thread was made.

I took five years of Latin from 8th through 12th grade with high school Latin I through V. It should be the equivalent of 2.5 college semesters, but I have the suspicion that what I learned was more like 1.5 semesters. Although I'm not sure what I still remember, I'm just about to start touching up on it (ordered some books off of Amazon a few hours ago). I may be months (optimistically) away at this point, but it's too late to fix Latin's translation by Wesnoth 1.8, anyway (unless someone's really fluent and dedicated to get it done in the next few weeks). Wesnoth 1.10 is going to be a while from now, so some usable Latin translation by then (at least the core) would be a good goal.

Is there still an active maintainer of the Latin translation? Is anyone else interested in collaborating on this? If no one's active, what's the process by which I should take over? The forum account mpolo has not posted or logged on since this thread in October 2007, over two years ago.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

The latin translation is 100% inactive at the moment. That is for some years I have not gotten a single update.
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

Is anyone else interested in collaborating on this?
As part of my joyous A-levels. I have to learn to translate from English into Latin, something I've never done before, in 7-8 months. I've studied Latin for five years, so I know enough (I hope). Even so, I need to practice like hell (maybe like hell is a bit too strong, but anyway.)

Although I don't how to submit translations etc...
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Deusite wrote:As part of my joyous A-levels. I have to learn to translate from English into Latin, something I've never done before, in 7-8 months. I've studied Latin for five years, so I know enough (I hope). Even so, I need to practice like hell (maybe like hell is a bit too strong, but anyway.)

Although I don't how to submit translations etc...
Salve! Any help would be appreciated, as such a translation is not a trivial project. Hopefully we can work on some bits of the translation on the forum and only one of us would need to submit it. I think that once we get some core decisions done, we can move to different sections of the game (mostly campaigns) between everyone who wants to work on this translation. We can then check each other's work in a discussion on the forum before submitting it (probably in a new thread).

I think the first issue at hand would be combing over existing translations and seeing which ones seem questionable. The first thing that comes to mind is the current use of "Occidiseptentrione" for "Wesnoth" in the game title and in other parts of the translation. I figured out that it's a combination of "occidens" and "septentrio" which collectively can mean "the west" and "the north regions" in Latin, but I think it is taking "Wesnoth" too literally as "West-north," is too long, and is too different from the existing name.

The origin of the name "Wesnoth" itself is mentioned in The Rise of Wesnoth: "The word Wesfolk is from your old tongue. It means 'People of the West'. The elves call us the people of the west-north. Under the same old tongue that would be 'Wes Noth'. So I suggest that the new kingdom be called 'Wesnoth', in honor of our old home."

I am thinking instead of a literal translation of "Wes" and "Noth" as "West" and "North" we instead use faux Latin words as loan-words from this "old tongue." "Ves" and "Notes" (or "Nothes"? I'm a bit rusty, did they use "th" anywhere, perhaps for Greek loan words?) would be fifth declension loan words, making "Vesadvenae" ("Ves" + "foreigners/strangers") the translation for "Wesfolk" and "Vēsnotēs" the Latin-equivalent of Wesnoth (since there is no W in Latin). (Again, it could also be "Vesnothes")

This would make the game title "Proelium pro Vesnote" instead of "Proelium pro Occidiseptentrione" and thus more similar to the "English" title of the game. In my opinion, "Occidiseptentrione" is an example of why you shouldn't always literally translate.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]