iOS support thread

All questions/issues/feedback for the iOS version of Wesnoth belong here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Did you like the new drag/swipe control style?

Not at all. Bring back the clicks!
No votes
Yes, immediately!
50%
Yes, after some time.
No votes
Yes, but it needs improvements, and I'll tell you which.
No votes
I want the option to have both.
50%

Total votes: 2

Aidoneus

Re: iOS support thread

Post by Aidoneus »

I rather like the touch controls. The only complaint I have, besides the silver mage, is that I sometimes accidentally move a unit when I am trying to scroll around the map. I am sure, however, that the frequency of this user error will diminish as I become more adept.
Ughduty

Post by Ughduty »

Hi,

First off let me say, great port to the iPad! I currently prefer it to playing at the PC!

When it comes to the control scheme, I would definitely prefer a double tapping control scheme instead of the tap-hold scheme for the right click menue because like someone else said it is just so much faster. When it comes to the movement controls I think they are OK even though I might as well would prefer a tap scheme like double tap the unit for movement selection and after that tap for selecting the target hex to move to.

Bye
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, but I'm not 100% sure about the universe." Albert Einstein
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Thanks.
In fact, I'm planning to switch/extend context menu invocation to a double tap.
Rusack

Post by Rusack »

So I’ve been playing the game for a while... and my eyes hurt because of the font, it doesn’t look sharp. I have iPad Pro 10.5, can something be done with this matter? The game is awesome, the controls are good, help me with the font please :)
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the feedback!

It's a known issue, apparently upstream. Bad news is that there is no agreement if the upstream one is subjective or not.
I registered it in iOS tracker: https://github.com/singalen/wesnoth/issues/86
Thaurin

Post by Thaurin »

Hi,

Great to see iOS development is still active. I was pulled back to the game after reading about the new release and the release on Steam. I hope the small UI will be finished as soon as possible! Imagine proper iPhone support and save syncing between the PC version and mobile version. I'd be all over that!

Currently, I'm unsure of buying the iPhone version, it being several releases behind and save game incompatible. Will the game ever be universal? Will I have to repurchase Battle for Wesnoth when the modern iPhone version comes out? That is, will the iPad version be updated with iPhone support, thus becoming universal and replacing the iPhone one?

Oh, and I agree about the font! It's far from readable in the PC version either, in my opinion!
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Thaurin, thanks!

The plan is to make iOS version universal between iPhone and iPad, if that's what you mean. There is also a plan to sync savegames to iCloud, especially if I find a suitable library.
No, you won't have to purchase it again. For transition, we plan to have a bundle for iPhone+iPad version, everybody who purchased either should be able to upgrade to it for free.

As of the font, the request for a HiDPI version is becoming more and more popular. I might take a shot at it, especially if I purchase an iPad Pro :D
Thaurin

Post by Thaurin »

singalen wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 10:31 pmNo, you won't have to purchase it again. For transition, we plan to have a bundle for iPhone+iPad version, everybody who purchased either should be able to upgrade to it for free.
Good to know. I might then just go ahead and purchase the iPhone version, knowing that it'll be updated to the latest version with the rewritten UI sometime in the future. :D
singalen wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 10:31 pmAs of the font, the request for a HiDPI version is becoming more and more popular. I might take a shot at it, especially if I purchase an iPad Pro :D
Hopefully font scaling will be implemented on the desktop version at some point, too! Would make playing on my TV set much more pleasant.
Last edited by Thaurin on May 4th, 2018, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maxihoernchen

Post by Maxihoernchen »

I totally agree with Thaurin, both a universal iOS Version and HighDPI support would be really great, not only on iPad Pros, but all iOS devices with retina display...
Codeyne

Post by Codeyne »

Loving the iOS port. I did encounter a problem with the drag/swipe controls. When trying to use the teleport ability across the map, the unit is deselected. Usually wouldn’t have an issue with this except there’s a certain scenario in To Lands Unknown that requires a lot of movement of units across the map, similar to teleporting.
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Thanks, and welcome to the forums!
Yep, Silver Mage is a known problem. I'm actually gong to change the control schema.

So far, you can zoom to 50% (with the first small button under the minimap) - it will mitigate the problem a little.
SageSeer

Post by SageSeer »

On iPad version 1.14.1 there is no sound or music playing when getting onto the game for the title screen or when playing campaign.
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Thanks for reporting!
Apparently, there was a change in game preferences format.

You can re-enable sound and music in preferences.
spod

Post by spod »

Hi, I downloaded the iWesnoth app last night, and it wasn't working well, so I updated my iOS and it's still not working.

I've got an iPhone 5s running iOs 11.31.1

I started a local game - Caves of the Basilisk. Here are the problems I've encountered so far:
  • Next Unit button doesn't work. I press it once, it does nothing. I press it again, and it skips quickly through the next unit and selects the unit after that.
  • Map doesn't work. When I tap it, it takes me to the position on the map I tapped. No map overview.
  • When recruiting, the unit list doesn't scroll properly. It can't be dragged. If I tap on the arrows, it goes to the top or bottom of the list. I can only get to the middle by dragging the indicator on the right. (Sorry, don't know what that's called.)
I haven't tried to download an add-on yet.

EDIT: I wanted to add, I'm incredibly impressed by the quality of your replies on this thread, Singalen. I think we all appreciate your time and effort.
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

@spod, thanks for the report, welcome to the forums, and thanks for the kind words.

Sadly, iPhone version (1.10) is severely outdated. At some point, the small-screen functionality was deemed unnecessary, and was dropped from Wesnoth. On top of that, the latest changes in iPhone port were lost.
We're working on re-doing if from scratch in 1.14, but it's still far from completion.

The first one is a bit different issue: the button works, but the screen redraw doesn't happen. It happens after the next touch/swipe. Thus, you actually do two button clicks.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean in the second one. That sounds like the way Wesnoth works. What is a "map overview"? Can you give an example from another game? Maybe it's something worth adding to mainline Wesnoth.

The third is a known problem. It's a consequence of lost iPhone changes. I tried to fix it quickly, but didn't get it to work in the two days I spent at it. I think I will make it work - eventually.