iOS support thread

All questions/issues/feedback for the iOS version of Wesnoth belong here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Did you like the new drag/swipe control style?

Not at all. Bring back the clicks!
No votes
Yes, immediately!
50%
Yes, after some time.
No votes
Yes, but it needs improvements, and I'll tell you which.
No votes
I want the option to have both.
50%

Total votes: 2

singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Re: iOS support thread

Post by singalen »

gfgtdf wrote: This sounds like it's unrelated to the ios port. Please test whether it also happens in the official 1.13.10 release that will come in a few days and if yes please report a bug on wesnoths bugtracker.
I tested it and it's indeed confirmed: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/comm ... 9005192ff8
I don't think it was the original DF author's intent.
I raised the topic in Discord channel.
hs1

Post by hs1 »

singalen wrote:In theory, it is compatible with 1.13 branch, if you copy them over. Never tested it though.
Cool idea btw! If we save to iCloud one day...
OK, I'll test my macOS savegame in the iOS port and will report back! Cross-platform synching would indeed be nice... What is the savegames folder in iOS? I can't seem to find it via search in iFile. My device is jailbroken, so I don't have sandboxing limitations; however, I can't find the savegames via search...
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Is there an "i" button in the left bottom corner of the main menu?
If so, have a look there.
Try out the dark board theme.
hs1

Post by hs1 »

Shiki wrote:Is there an "i" button in the left bottom corner of the main menu?
If so, have a look there.
Perfect - thanks for pointing out what should be the obvious :-) The savegame transfer works; now I can seamlessly play across devices, which is an immensely cool experience. Where can I suggest savegame synching/importing as a built-in feature?
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Happy for you!

Official tracker for iOS bugs/suggestions is here: https://github.com/singalen/wesnoth/issues.
In fact, I went ahead and registered the issue for you: https://github.com/singalen/wesnoth/issues/70

BTW there should NOT be the "i" button in iOS wesnoth, at least, not with the filesystem access... that's actually a bug :)
11mccland

Post by 11mccland »

Greetings all. I just started playing after a while off, and I have found with the new update, the game randomly force quits. Most of the time i just reopen and continue, but on several scenarios, HttT "isle of the damned' and SotA 'against the world' it will crash in the same place every time, so I can't continue, even after restarting the scenario. Has anyone else had this issue? I have a basic install, no add ons or anything.
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Sorry for that.
I'm afraid many users have experienced crashes 8( There are at least two places in the code where it happens. This is caused by data being corrupted by something before that, so it's pretty hard to catch.
I will take a look at those scenarios.

By the way, what iPad are you playing on? Do you have terrain/water animations on?
11mccland

Post by 11mccland »

iPad mini. Turning the water animation off did the trick for both. Thank you so much
Thantonous

Post by Thantonous »

Using a I-pad mini and having nothing but problems with downloadable campaigns. Unknown errors can't load map illegal terrain etc etc. very frustrating. At the point that I want old version because never had these issues. Turned animation off still no cigar. Ashen Hearts Oath of Allegiance and Nightfall. Tried legend of Invincibles with other errors reported that still no fiX! :?
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Sorry for your experience.

You should be aware that add-ons are a user-made content. While we make our best effort to report problems to the authors, the only other thing we can do is to remove incompatible add-ons when 1.14 is released.

Sadly, most campaigns are not well tested with 1.13 yet. It was a last-minute decision not to disable add-ons downloading in 1.13/iOS at all: it's a kind of gray zone in Apple's policies.

I suggest that you remove ALL the add-ons, then install them back one-by-one and see which one causes the problem.
You can also test them on PC with a 1.13.10 version.

Ashen Hearts just got an update a day before - try re-downloading it. You can report the problem to the author too.
Oath of Allegiance is designed for 1.13, so it should be working.
Not sure about Nighfall, the author has no topic for it.

After checking the add-ons' author - looks like the author is very active and devoted. It's very likely that all of the mentioned ARE tested with 1.13.10. Could the errors be caused by other add-ons you have installed - eras, maps, whatever?
kulatamicuda

Post by kulatamicuda »

Hi Singalen, thank you for your awesome and quick work on IOS port. I can imagine how much work it is, especially when no version was from 1.12.

I have played wesnoth 1.10 on ipad for many months and upgraded to 1.13 and my platform is Ipad 3 with IOS 9.3.5 non jailbroken device and here is my quick feedback:
+ ability to download multiple addons on once
+ compatible with latest version
- much slower (hint - why not detect IOS device and adjust default graphic options based on ipad model ?)
- sometimes more unstable than old 1.10, even on official campaings (tested without any addon)
- new drag movement (problem is when you have large map and want to plan long journey for your hero - how you can scroll together with drag ? The original movement system was better in this area - you simply point, scroll and point again. Please add possibility to switch to old style ...)

Some hints for future enhancements:
1. Integration with dropbox/webdav/sftp to synchronize/upload/download saves between PC/Mac/iPad/Android tablet
2. Ability to run debug console (:debug ) on iOS port
3. Keep ability to download addons (it is not "grey zone", a lot of iOS apps allow it)

Disclaimer:
All suggestions are based on my experience only, but I would be happy if you will be inspired by them.
kulatamicuda

Post by kulatamicuda »

BUGs in tutorial, second scenario playing as Li' sar (ipad 3, ios 9.3.5):
1) Manual is sometimes obsolete or not relevant to iOS.
2) At the beginning of this second scenario lua error lua/wml-tags.lua:291 Error: Attempted to access an invalid music track
stack traceback __newindex 145 in field handle_event-commands
wml-flow.lua.6 in function lua/wml-flow.lua:5

BTW - another tip for enhancement - ability to send report directly from app (together with screenshot)
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Thanks for the report, and welcome to the forums!

* Performance tuning based on the hardware is already planned. I get a lot of complaints for a bad performance, so this is something to address in the nearest build: https://github.com/singalen/wesnoth/issues/67
* There are two known crashes that manifest in different moments and give me headaches. So far, I cannot even see where the bad data comes from.
* Touch controls is a brainchild of a big effort, and I still believe it's a good idea, especially after some more tuning (issues 44, 66, 62, 65). Though, if users' feedback will say otherwise, I will revert to the old style.
* Tutorial update is already known: https://github.com/singalen/wesnoth/issues/15.
* Will look into the Lua error.
* Wrote down your suggestion about in-app feedback: https://github.com/singalen/wesnoth/issues/71
Lseprincess

Post by Lseprincess »

First time poster. I’ve been waiting for the iPhone update and was wondering if you have a timeframe in mind? Thanks!
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Lseprincess wrote:First time poster. I’ve been waiting for the iPhone update and was wondering if you have a timeframe in mind? Thanks!
Welcome to the forums!
I HOPED to already have it (that is, in 3-4 weeks), but daytime job caught fire, so I'm only about one week of work in it.

One of the nearest plans is to make HD version an universal binary, so that you'll be able to run it on iPhone.
Do NOT buy a HD version (OMG, I just said what?), as we plan to publish a bundle to let all owners of one version to have both in the nearest week.