Scenario 20: North Knalga

Feedback for the mainline campaign Secrets of the Ancients.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 20: North Knalga

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) What did you think about the dialog and story?
(4) What were the major challenges you faced?
(5) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(6) What suggestions do you have to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Scenario 20: North Knalga

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Diabolic, 1.14.3

Well...okay? There wasn't much, but there was also no reason for there to be a lot of talking. Another reasonable random encounter.

Realizing that I have a chance to beat that horde of dwarves and then to actually do this.

6, very scary.

-
Attachments
SotA-Nördliches Knalga Aufzeichnung abspielen.gz
(56.4 KiB) Downloaded 707 times
SanDonk

Post by SanDonk »

Just found a replay three months later...

1) Medium
2) Not sure now, but probably about 9. I had difficulties beating it and in the record I found at least one instance, where I used save-loading (survival of injured Ras-Tabah), which I do not do regularly.
3) Not sure, probably OK
4) Huge numbers of dwarves, but mainly turn limit + low number of villages to make finish bonus for following scenario
5) Do not remember, but I assume it was fun
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.14.5, Corrupt (Challenging), 141 gold

4. Four ancient liches are a buzzsaw, even against dwarf lords. Even spectres, with their high resistance and drain, can hold their own against lords and beat everything else given time (though they have to be careful of thunderer attacks).

The animation in the opening sequence is very nice. Overall the graphics for this scenario are very good.

It was a little tense for a couple rounds of the initial assault. The RNG could have put me into trouble with some bad luck a couple of times but didn't.

After that, just keeping the Bone Captain and the worthless Death Knight I recruited alive as they both seem to have the resiliency of tissue paper against dwarves. (I should have recruited another necromancer or ghost instead.)

6. The ancient liches are fun like a supercar at first, but seem unbalanced.

I was curious if any of the items around the leaders castle or to the south did anything, but as far as I can tell no.

It would be nice if the Bone Captain has some role to play yet, he's been window dressing for a while now. Even with leadership, he pales compared to Death Knights.
Attachments
SotA-North Knalga replay.gz
(56.74 KiB) Downloaded 764 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Seems good. It's chilling to find out we're in burial room at the start. Again, not too much dialogue here.

- Doing my best to avoid having myself killed by dwarf lords

- None to think
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

1.14.5, Normal

Nice call out to Sceptre of Fire

40 gold. 40 gold man. It's like this scenario doesn't have any initial gold at all.

What we actually have here is a campaign-sized bad design. If you lose either loyal level 0 outlaw early on, you die. If you don't send them down the lich path, you die. If you lose the saurian (which is really easy in the gryphon scenario or Crelanu's scenario) you die.

The other posting of 141 gold isn't really much better here. With 141 I could actually make it without the outlaws by chance of having enough liches, but there is no chance without the saurian healer. It can't level up. It's really hard to keep alive this whole campaign.

Somehow I had 581 gold for the following scenario despite beating this with only 1 turn to go and only being up to about 70 gold.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

joshudson wrote: June 10th, 2019, 3:29 pm It's like this scenario doesn't have any initial gold at all.
It's not much, that's true. I expected you to come from the previous scenario with 150-200 gold. There were a lot of villages at the beginning there, so you can hold them for a long time. You should also be able to finish ahead of time. Also, it's just basic Wesnoth strategy that if you're having trouble with gold at some point, you should probably go back and try to finish the previous scenario faster.

I have beat this with both loyal units on the outlaw path (on difficult), so it can be done. You do have to have four or five liches in total though. I don't know if you can beat it without the saurian. I've never tried that, but it sounds unlikely. This is a "hard level" campaign, so you should expect difficulties. It sounds like you made it through anyway.
joshudson wrote: June 10th, 2019, 3:29 pm Somehow I had 581 gold for the following scenario
The next one does have a lot of starting gold because there are a lot of enemies, and I didn't expect you to finish off the dwarves with a lot of extra turns.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Apparos_Vaklas

Post by Apparos_Vaklas »

Diabolic (Difficult) and Version 1.14.16

Pretty good. I liked the added "flavour" of miners trying to run away from my units. :lol:

Restarted the scenario once due to underestimating the enemy and losing too many units. I didn't have any problems when I played a bit more defensively.

8/10 Fun "onslaught" scenario overall.

I can't really think of anything.