Scenario 4: Becalmed

Feedback for the mainline campaign Secrets of the Ancients.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 4: Becalmed

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) What did you think about the dialog and story?
(4) What were the major challenges you faced?
(5) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(6) What suggestions do you have to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
jeremybauerle

Re: Scenario 4: Becalmed

Post by jeremybauerle »

(1) Difficulty level & Version?
  • Corrupt (Challenging) 1.13.8
  • In the pre-map text, Ardonna said the bandit leader wished her a fate worse than death? I didn't remember that, so I checked and he said "Death will be to good for you!" I don't think that quote implies that he wishes a fate worse than death, only that he's going to kill her.
  • We're led to believe that the academy's professors warned Llorvin that a runaway student might visit their graveyard. However, after seven guards are murdered in the graveyard, and the graves are clearly disturbed, and the guardhouse weapons are taken, no one warns the largest port city on the island that there might be a necromancer on the loose? Seems a little inconsistent.
  • How could all of Ardonna's creations easily be hidden in the hold of a ship? And how she could get them aboard without anyone noticing?
  • Why does Ardonna ask her creatures to eat passengers first before fighting the sailors? Is she thinking out loud that she should have asked her creatures to eat passengers? Would they know the difference (being mindless and all)?
  • All in all, I like this arc where she's running away from the academy and discovering her power. And I like the stowaway scenario, but I wished she was smarter. She should have learned her lesson after the graveyard scenario: hide your undead friends better. I also wish her power growth was more gradual, but maybe that restriction would make the battles too boring.
  • During my first playthrough, I didn't realize I could go below deck until the third turn. It didn't really matter, because claiming 'villages' doesn't matter in scenario this short.
  • 7.5, a really fun idea and a nice contrast from the large scenario before it.
  • I would like to see a forced reduction of units to indicate that Ardonna couldn't bring all her pets aboard the ship.
  • I would have liked the captain to move and use his leadership ability. He was just a sitting duck for my archers.
  • I thought there would be a hidden item in the ship's hold, especially on the tile that has a backpack on a crate. Was disappointed.
  • At the start of the scenario, passengers run away to their rooms, and their room doors are on tiles that can be moved on. I was really hoping that the passengers would defend themselves if you tried to enter their rooms. The fencer could run out and start stabbing. The cloaked guy could be a strong magic-user of some kind (reasonable considering we just left the magic training island).
SanDonk

Post by SanDonk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

1) Difficult, 1.14.1
2) 2 - easy
3) Ardonna is a adorable villainess, especially with the passenger/crew eating stuff, but it is perhaps too quick.
4) None, it was easy scenario only 3vs3 tiles with rotating injured, similar to dungeon fights, only to farm xps for future battles. Ardonna became lvl3.
5) 6, it is nice idea, but it is really easy
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Diabolic, 1.14.3

6, a nice break between hard battles.

It was nice.

-

-
Attachments
SotA-Beruhigt Aufzeichnung abspielen.gz
(23.52 KiB) Downloaded 601 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.14.5, Corrupt (Challenging, 128 gold

Good.

Getting used to having two levels.

A couple sea monsters appearing around turn 5?
Attachments
SotA-Becalmed replay.gz
(21.61 KiB) Downloaded 561 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- I like it how Ardonna revives the bandit leader into the ghoul and experiments on him. Moreover, this is fun scenario on the ship

- None really

- None
Offriender

Post by Offriender »

Medium 1.14

I guess if I were the captain, I'd be mad too.

The directions were confusing. I thought it said I could summon anywhere on the top two decks, meaning the first and second levels we're shown. I assumed there was more to the map below if I reached the hatch on the lower level, since there was movement through it during the intro. It took me a bit to figure out where I could summon.

I would clarify it as "You can summon from the decks where you or the captain start." It's not really obvious that the raised texture counts as a deck unless you say so.
The hatches on top and bottom should have different art, since they serve different purposes. Maybe have the crew lock the lower one during the intro.
Apparos_Vaklas

Post by Apparos_Vaklas »

Diabolic (Difficult) and Version 1.14.16

Not sure if this was working as intended or if it should be considered "cheating" but I lured loads of enemies below the deck and then made sure I had units standing on the entrances so they couldn't get back up to fight me

Very good (ghouls chomping on the passengers/crew :lol: )

Nothing major once I used the trick mentioned above

I can't think of anything.