Scenario 3: Bandits

Feedback for the mainline campaign Secrets of the Ancients.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 3: Bandits

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) What did you think about the dialog and story?
(4) What were the major challenges you faced?
(5) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(6) What suggestions do you have to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
jeremybauerle

Re: Scenario 3: Bandits

Post by jeremybauerle »

(1) Difficulty level & Version?
  • Corrupt (Challenging) 1.13.8
  • The pre-map text doesn't state that it's from Ardonna's journal. It has a date before it, so I assume it was from the journal.
  • Ardonna can summon undead at will now? Where do the bodies come from? I'm imagining that her caravan is wagon after wagon of corpse and bone piles.
  • These simple woodcutters don't act too surprised about seeing the undead. That's seems odd.
  • Ardonna seems even more sadistic at the end of this scenario, sparing the leader to use him for some unknown experiment. A week ago she was just a very frustrated student, and now she's a dispassionate killer?
  • I don't know why, but both times I saw the word 'underfed' I read it as 'un-derfed' and thought "What the hell does 'un-derfed' mean?" I'm interested to see if other people misread the word too.
  • We just acquired skeletons, and we're eager to use them, but they just get destroyed by bandits at night. So, again, like the first two scenarios, it felt like I had to play very defensive.
  • Also, this scenario, like the first two, seemed to depend greatly on whether I could land Plague attacks as the killing blow.
  • It's easy for the fight to get bogged down just above Ardonna's recruiting zone.
  • 6. This feels like the first 'real' Wesnoth scenario.
  • Maybe one of the Level 0 bandits could run away in fear at the sight of an undead army.
  • Maybe clear a few forest tiles from near the road. The extra mobility might stop the fight from getting bogged down. (Also, Footpads are hard to kill at 70% dodge.)
  • I interpreted the relationship between the bandit leader and the female outlaw as a couple. The bandit does get angry when she dies, but I would have liked his anger to change his behavior. I would be interesting if, right after she dies, he made one final recruitment and then charged toward the unit that killed his wife (or toward Ardonna).
jeremybauerle

Post by jeremybauerle »

jeremybauerle wrote: (3) What did you think about the dialog and story?
  • The pre-map text doesn't state that it's from Ardonna's journal. It has a date before it, so I assume it was from the journal.
I just noticed that the pre-map text also calls the town 'Llorcyn' when it was called 'Llorvin' in the first scenario. Typo?
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

jeremybauerle wrote: I just noticed that the pre-map text also calls the town 'Llorcyn' when it was called 'Llorvin' in the first scenario. Typo?
Yes, it was. I've fixed it for 1.13.9. Thanks for the feedback.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
SanDonk

Post by SanDonk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

1) Difficult, 1.14.1
2) 9-10
3) Ardonna was funny female villain in the end, but it is perhaps a little bick quick :)
4) The bandits totally outnumber skeletons 2:1 and are very efficient with their impact attack type and have great defence in forests. Only Ardonna is able to hit them with magic, otherwise is is is complete massacre, they do more damage on each attack and more often tend to hit. I see no way of conventional win on hard difficulty. I was able to win by evolving one my lvl1 bats to level 2 and use him to kill on 1vs1 the enemy leader from the behind (while sacrificing the other lvl1 bat to make passage). At the end I had 3 units (including Ardonna and the lvl2 bat) and enemy about 11.
5) 4 - not bad, but it is way too much difficult
6) reduce enemies gold perhaps? or remove some forest tiles, make them recruit thiefs to get more vulnerable perhaps
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

This one can be tricky on hard. I got through it by maneuvering bats to keep drawing off some of the forces heading for the southern keep. With the forces dispersed instead of all at once, making a stand at the starting keep & using a few walking corpses worked until the enemy was worn down.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Diabolic, 1.14.3

It was nice.

To omehow avoid getting clubbed to oblivion.

-
Attachments
SotA-Banditen Aufzeichnung abspielen.gz
(29.62 KiB) Downloaded 628 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.14.5, Corrupt (Challenging, 182 gold

8 due to the turn limit.

Fine. Not as good as other scenarios so far.

It was hard to cover the distance, fighting two waves of enemies who the skeletons spend a lot of time flaying at, and beat the turn limit.

6, good but a little tedious.

Maybe a small fort midway to replenish?
Attachments
SotA-Bandits replay.gz
(32.87 KiB) Downloaded 647 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Seems good enough, I wonder if that female outlaw was the wife of that bandit?

- Trying to distract bandits out of the forests

- None to think about
Apparos_Vaklas

Post by Apparos_Vaklas »

Diabolic (Difficult) and Version 1.14.16

Very good. I liked the dialogue between the two leaders.

Enemy using a lot of impact attacks gave me a good challenge. I had to restart the scenario twice until I got it right (when to attack/retreat, when to bring my leader out or leave her in the fort to recruit more etc).

I really liked that I could effectively mess with the enemy by using bats both for village stealing and draw some of their forces away from their main army.

I can't think of anything